Identifying an Alloy Crossflow Head?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:D Never into presentation until I know what I want to present!.

:p I'd rather spend 500 bucks on an airfare and have you clean the parts in my old pink bath that holds my other engines. Then layout some builders paper and have you photograph the samples ;)

(What brand of oven cleaner do you use, Addo?. Some has a ultra nasty smell)

Whatever's on special that says "non-caustic", will suit alloy parts. Active ingredient is usually ethanolamine. It also cleans laminate benchtops like new, so you can tell the better half you want to help with the housework; that's why to buy it in bulk... ;)

Two applications are needed on seriously dirty stuff, with a good scrub inbetween, before rinsing. Apply only to dry surfaces; water reduces effect immensely.

Caustic sprays will do fine on cast iron, but so will a laundry tub of hot water and 1kg caustic soda. :shock: Soak minimum of 2 hours, scrub and soak again. The leftover grungy water gets dug into my excess dirt pile (currently about 8m³).

Backgrounds for photography are a hassle. White often gives averaging type light meters a false reading and the object will be too dark. Light grey-white concrete seems to do nicely. I often rub a yellow crayon across the tops of cast part numbers, to show more clearly.

Clean stuff can be phosphated if iron or steel, and wrapped in plastic masking. The "Kephos" product sandblasters use will work well instead of phosphoric solutions. For that matter, I pay about $20 to get a degreased, stripped down iron head garnet blasted inside and out, and phosphated. Means that whenever you want to measure something or just handle it, there's no mess.

Addo, i have already been using oven cleaner. It was the only thing in the house i could think of.

X, looks like i never knew what closed/open really meant.

Pete

Thanks addo. Mr Clean!

Closed chamber 302 Boss (and same as GTHO Phase 2. 3 and 4 heads)

heads1.jpg

Closed chamber 302 Cleveland heads

ausheads.JPG

Open chamber 351C heads

cleve2varot.jpg

I just pulled my alloy head off the shelf & snapped some pics of the various I.D. features so we can digest them here.

Casting of "Ford" and "HF-5" on top of the head:

Combustion chambers. Note the shrouding around the intake valves on the side opposite the spark plugs:

Casting of "C1" between cyls 1&2 and stamping of "321" vertically on the intake side of the head, right next to the water pump outlet:

Casting of "5 5 7 C" on the front of the head:

Locator sleeve:

Injector notches on intake ports:

That chamber is totally different to the HF-1 head, and my HF-5 head. It has bigger valves and a very close, very 'aero dynamic' swirl quench zone. All the early closed chamber heads were in the neighbourhood of 53 to 56 cc, while it was the XF that got the kidney shaped closed chambers, and smaller valves.

The casting number on mine is the very same, the 321 quality assurance number is the same, but there is no C1 casting on mine at all, and the front casting number is 534B. The cambers CC at about 54 cc, yours look to be about 49 ccs.

Additionally, Ford date stamped all its X-flow heads at the front machined water housing boss. If you look by the thermostat housing, there is a date stamp. Mine says 89 0

The heads were imported as raw castings from Honda, Japan, and then machined up when it got to the Ford plant. The final maching was at the plant at Geelong, Australia, so there was total freedom as to how the chambers were finished off.

Nice work!

fordmuscle83":30ka31u1 said:
I still cant see the difference but will take your word for it X.
Look at the picture labeled "locator sleeve". Just above my hand in the picture, you get a good perspective of how the intake valve is actually recessed deep (about 1/4") from the combustion chamber surface on the side opposite the spark plug. The earlier heads did not have this abrupt shrouding as far as I can tell.

I will post a pic of my e1 hf4 head on the weekend. Im trying to keep one engine complete but the need to 'tinker' is much greater.

Pete

Does anyone have E2 head pics? I have a guy telling me its open chamber but believe its not (kidney shaped though?).

Pete

okay here's another one- what is a HF7? its on a 83 DA block at the moment...

thanks
Craig

i have a hf-9 head which i used after porting and flowing many x-flow heads.
it is marked c2 and acording to the flow bench is the best head to start with.
std flow intake 100" 200" 300" 400" 500" 550"
57.3 98.2 136.2 170.2 196.1 200.6

mod flow 62.3 122.8 177.7 218.3 236.9 238.4

exhaust flow std 49.1 83.8 112.8 136.9 152.5 159.1

mod flow 64.0 99.4 127.2 148.1 162.4 167.0

THESE FIGURES ARE AT 32"H2O TO CONVERT TO 28" MULTIPLY BY .935

these figures were gained by using swirl pollished 1.85 inlets valves and 1.56 exhaust valves.
this head is the only one that i could get to flow 350hp and makes for a very good street motor with a 244@50" solid cam with 3.5 gears in a 3250lb car.
the chamber still needs a little work ,even in mild street motors.
i will show photos of the head as soon as i work out how to download them, too much time on the flow bench,,. cheers

ZC-Cruiser,

Do you have a photo of the chamber of the D head?

Anyone got a photo of an E1 chamber?

heads as follows
cast iron kidney chamber
leaded alloy kidney chamber largest cc chamber
c1 kidney with a closed chamber in it
c2 closed chamber
d closed chmaber larger cc then c2
e1 closed chamber
e2 kidney chamber simerlar to leaded smallest cc of true kidney
f never seen the chamber

ealyer ones had larger ports later ones had smaller but beter mixing chambers with larger valves.
closed chambers have very bad pinging ussues with hot spots
kidney ones not as bad but cant run lean due to high speed pinging.
biggest standerd ports iron head
biggest ported head iron head
best stock head for mild e2
best modded alloy leaded head

if running carby weld up the injector hole it costs about 20hp due to the dead spot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back