Australian Falcon 6Cyl/5sp Man Selection Options?

Clint

Greetings all,

I've finally joined the forums (having cruised through them as a guest for a while), after buying a 1972 XA GS Rallye Pack Falcon Panelvan. My intention for this van is to set it up for mainly camping orientated/out of town pursuits and a bit of towing, however I'd like to retain the current 6 cylinder manual orientated driveline - but still want a bit more kick. With that in mind, I've started to look into the late model motors and transmissions for conversion processes. I'll also add here, I've searched these forums but can't find the info I want, to make my decision on.

I'm looking for all the good and bad points of all the different evolutions of 6 Cylinder motors as fitted to Australian Falcons. My background in 6 cylinders basically stops at the XA's 250 2V motors - I've never really taken much notice of the later model motor's as I've never had a use for them - so in that respect, I'm a novice. I do however have ample knowledge in V8's and lots of rice burner stuff, so definately not a mechanical noob, but more a guy looking to expand his knowledge base.

Basically I'm looking for a standard motor and 5 speed box combination that will best suit my needs which are:

1: Something with relatively low Kms that I can install, run on the standard computer, and start the project "rolling" - I'm happy to leave the set up standard until I need to open the motor up for repair, over pulling it to pieces to start again. Must be 5 speed manual - I've never been big on autos and I prefer manuals for towing anyway.
2: Something I can turbo later down the track for the fuel economy of low boost, good torque down low, and hopefully improved mileage.
3: Something available now that won't break the bank - ie no BA XR6 Turbo motors sorry.

Ideally, I'd like the info to be able to make an informed decision - this is where you guys come in! You'll know more about the gamit of blocks, reciprocating masses and compressions, heads, inlet designs and factory computers, than I can find easily, so I'd like to hear all the good and bad points please?

On a side line to that thinking I also want to look at installing a 5 speed behind the current XA 250 motor currently in the car (I want to use the car for touring before performing the engine conversion)before April. With that in mind, and considering the flywheel I have currently on the back of the motor (standard item for the toploader clutch), what will simply bolt in? I don't mind also replacing the flywheel if I have to, but it must be a simple bolt on job. I assume I'll be limited to XF only 5 speed boxes, or will the later model EA onwards style 5speeds also bolt up?Suggestions on this "sub matter" please?

Where does the bank break? At $1500? $5000? What time and facilities do you have on tap?

For sheer "newness" (ie; implied life remaining), it'd be tough to beat an EL series donk. But transplant will be harder than a carby crossflow.

Yep sorry, should have specified better but was "on call" so hit enter before I should have!

As to price, I can't really justify the $5500-6500 BA XR6T complete motor and computer packages I've seen thus far, that would be more like my finished budget for modified motor including install. I'm competent enough to install and modify myself, so no real labour costs need to be involved - I'm only interested in what it will cost me to load it in my trailer.

For a standard package that has everything I want in good condition - I'd happily pay $2kish dependant on issues such as freight, age, and ancilleries. Time is abundant - time on this project is currently happily been spent in research - I'm in no rush to get something.

As for the EL donk, install doesn't faze me. I'm currently installing a 1995 Supra motor and 5 speed auto into a 1968 Toyota Crown ute utilising the factory computer, so I've become one with impossibles, and multiples of wires and headaches - everything is acheivable, and I believe I have a realistic goal with the panelvan.

Further more to my questions and goal - I'm not adverse to buying a whole wrecked car (rear end shunt would be perfect) and taking what I need.

for a complete wreck your looking at between $400 for a EF taxi pack and upto $1700 for a EL XR6 manual. that's if your thinking 4.0ltr otherwise a x-flow can be had for around $100 with all the gear

Sounds like the goods. Look for the golden fleece (as in unlikely, but out there) - an EL Ghia wagon rollover or side hit with manual trans. Saleable or useable (with mods) disc brake rear, ABS, the right driveline and most of the mounts etc.

A Crown ute that's not going to get a 302 or 308? How are you fixing the legroom/driving pozzy, anyhow? IIRC it's not much better than the Stout utes. I've got legs like a chorus girl and even the XM is squeezy - no dice to slouch down.

sounds like you got a real nice car there.if you go ahead with this just remember to keep the original 250 2v and toploader in your shed because you have a realy rare car.good luck.

Already have the diff sorted - ZJ Fairlane. not really interested in ABS, though if it's easier to run if for the standard computer's sake, I'll consider it. Aside form the price and the fact I think they look ugly, are the AU/BA 6's worth considering - adavantage of VVT to also be considered?!? Also trying to shy away from the pushrod crossflows to scale down my decision making, but will not dismiss the later model motors with this feature.

As for the Crown, dunno, will have to fit the body to the chassis and try a few things out!

Yep, all the original stuff will be staying safely tucked away in the shed.

I've added a few more questions to my top post (at the bottom) in relation to getting a 5 speed into it with the standard motor - any words of wisdom guys?

More questions regarding fitting a 5 speed to the current engine as an interim measure - can I use any 5 speed Falcon gearbox so long as I find an XF bellhousing to bolt onto it, or do later model gearboxes differ from what I need and how? Is the XF speed bellhousing unique or can something else be used after modification?

It's not a unique box, but the cheapest way to fit a Ford T-5 if you can adapt to cable clutch. Otherwise buy a Dellow bellhousing (cable or hydraulic) or the Mustang adaptor plate that makes a Toploader setup run a T-5. Or: shop around for a complete Celica box install kit.

Regards, Adam.

Thanks for the info Adam. next question - are XA-XF manual flywheels the same - bolt up, clutch sizing and pitch wise? Will my XA Toploader flywheel suit the standard XF t5 clutch?

OK, more info and questions?!

I've looked at a couple of gearboxes, one was definately a T5 (I assume also correctly designated T50D ?) as found in late model XF and EA on Falcons?? The other was a Borg Warner 0507-XXX that the seller said was also from an XF?! This gearbox had a typical BW shifter on it, which he said wasn't original and the reason I couldn't find 5th or reverse - ie, I could only find 4 forward gears in the shift pattern. To confirm, this box did have the large "5" on the side and I matched it up to the pics in a Gregories manual. The BW box also had a straight gearbox crossmemeber on it, which I assume would eliminate the need to modify my gearbox cross member as I would have to for the T5 style box (it needs to be lengthened slightly to accept the gearbox mount on the T5). So who else has had experience with this BW box, and what was the synopsis of it - worth it, or worth going the extra yard with the T5?

There is one 5-speed that's about as strong as tissue paper - think it's the one with the big "5" on the side. Generally, the Gregorys/Scientific Publications handbooks get you into trouble but maybe not out of it. :roll:

You're looking for the unit that matches pictures found of American T-5s. Shifters as supplied are a weak link and general opinion is that an aftermarket one is a much better buy.

Remember the biggest issue for you probably is how to operate the clutch. The XF bellhousings don't have provision for hydraulic operation.

Flywheel as per XA will work but consider drilling at a new PCD for larger late model clutch.

If it's feasible, you might want to see about picking up a digital camera. (Should be a <$120 exercise.) Pictures generally prick peoples' ears up and get a more comprehensive range of responses.

Couple of questions and something that might help. Are the bellhousings between pre crossflow and crossflow the same? Im guessing not, but I'm not sure. There is a bellhousing for the 250 pre crossflow that is for a hydraulic clutch. I have 2 of them. Its got a two pronged clutch fork with the pivot and hole on the passenger side. I've used it for a hydro clutch when I put in my Toyota 4 speed box on the back of a 200 pre crossflow. If the bellhousing will bolt up then you could use this for what you want.

You mean this type?

They fit from 1966-87. Suffixes varied. ARD1DA-6394-AA pictured; fits tingle snail and 3-speed (note 2 holes in upper RH area). Also found ARD1DA-6394-DA on a stock '71 2V. Some are slantback, some humpback for various clutches. Not enough data yet to quote part numbers but I hope to get there eventually.

Back