Going to pick up my 230rwhp turbo I6...

A

Anonymous

...nestled inside the comfy confines of an '88 Toyota Supra Turbo! :D

Before I get flamed, check my siggy -- I have a '68 Mustang (GT/CS) I6 too. Show the love for ALL I6's, not just American ones!

-Winston

We recently had a go-round over on the Inliners page concerning whether a 240Z is a real Inline or not. Hey, if its an inline six and rear wheel drive; its close enough to suit.

Just try to keep the "rice" factor down to a minimum, will ya? ;)

Later, Kinky6.

Don't worry, I'm sooooo anti-rice ;)

It was hard to pass up for $500 :D

-Winston

Yeah, hot rice going cheap hehehehe. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I like new rice myself too! :shock:

The engine in that thing is a real screamer. :splat:

To be totally insensitive, you have to be a V8 Die-hard. Here, we appreciate any in-liner of the opposite Six! :LOL:

Yeah L6 is what L6 does. My close friend from Balclutha has a 4.1 in-line EFI Aussie Cortina. It's hot stuff.

But now he has a 1988 VN General Motors Holden Commodore with a Toyota Crown SC12 blower on it. It used to have 130 rear wheel horsepwer, now its 165! The thing has an A/C style electromagnetic fan clutch that allows 6 pounds of boost to be dailed up on demand. In a 2950 pound car with T5 trans, the performance is 15 second quarters flat. The engine is a GM 3800, and I need help. The thing sounds bitchin'! He got the conversion from Castlemain Rod Shop (CRS) in Aussie.

Looks like I'm loosing him to the Bent Six brigade :cry: Maybee he'll sell his Cortina and I'll get it :D HehEHHEHEHEHEHEEEEEEE!

Over there, the GM3800 Supercharger conversion retails at Aus $1656. Rich got it landed in Kiwi-landfor NZ$1980, plus an NZ$ 230 tax from customs. Rod Hadfield from CRS gets lots of High quality Ricer gear from Japan and adapts it to the GM sixes, both 186/202 in-liners(Mini 230/250 style) and our RWD versions of the Buick GM 3800 V6 which have the Chevy bellhousing pattern. Super chargers and starter motors he sells are all Toyota bits with very well engineered Aussie adaptors. This keeps the core price way down. He then spends most of his time bullet proofing the installation. The new thing is the 186/202 Holden six is getting a draw through SC12 super charger conversion. The mimimum boost is 25% torque and power. The super charger is limited to around 250 hp, or around 180 rear wheel ponies. We just hope 68GTC can loose 500 pounds, because a 202 GM Holden with one of these will kill you Supra!!!!

Here is a kitted out L6 202 GM Holden engine. Stock they had only about 100 rear wheel horses or less, but later ones had much more. The 'charger adds a minimum of 30% extra rear wheel horsepower. The Soarer the SC12 blower came from had over 200 flywheel HP CHEVYTOWN TAKE NOTE!
superchargerred6front.jpg

Here is Rods 3000 hp shopping car. It's just got a little P51 Rolls Royce Merlin in it, nothing dramatic. Get into Aussie Grunt!

55proj103.jpg

hey do you think you could get more info on that supercharge kit? i wonder if i could get it to bolt up to the chevy manifolds. hmmm more thinking

Yeah, easy as bro'. The website is http://www.rodshop.com.au/superchargers.htm

An SU HIF6/HIF7/HD8 from a Jag, or the Zenith Stromberg CD175 from Volvo , Jag or Triumph are also the best carbs to use. The Holleys look great, but don't provide the best fuel/air ratio.

The following is stated by Rod and his team:-

The following information is designed to answer some of the questions that could arise if you are considering supercharging a Holden 6 cylinder Red, Black or Blue engine. For further supercharger information see the V6 page or contact us.

The kit will not fit grey motors or the injected VK motor. Red, blue and black motors are compatible.

Parts required besides the CRS kit are electric fuel pump with good capacity, an electronic distributor or the conversion of the vacuum one to full centrifical if required.

Kits are available to suit the 2 barrel Holley carby or the recommended 2" S.U. During the testing the S.U. carby gave much better performance right through the range with smoother starting and idling with more power on the top end and certainly more economy. Should you want to use a carby of your own choosing, we could remove the manifold from the kit and supply the mounting plate to fit the blower thus giving a good start to the custom manifold. The blower comes with twin belt pullies of different sizes thus enabling two drive ratio’s to choose from. Belts and an adjustable idler are supplied with different width spacers to shift the idler from one location to the other.

Blowers are fully checked over and ready to go, they have Teflon rotors and the bearings run in their own oil supply. These are a Rootes blower from the 6 cylinder Toyota’s. Depending on the compression ratio of the motor and the blower ratio, boost will be 6 – 10 lbs. A boost gauge is supplied with your kit. The blower bolts to the drivers side of the engine picking up mounting points at the fuel pump mount, engine mount and thermostat neck.

A manifold bolts to the blower and feeds over the motor to the top of a 2 barrel manifold. Any brand will do such as a Cane, Lynx, Speco, as long as it has the two barrel 350 Holley base bolt pattern. If you have one of these manifolds we remove it from the kit cost.

If you have a blue or black motor with the Holden twin barrel manifold this can be used also, although it’s recommended to grind out the dividers to aid flow. A Holden 12 port head will not fit easily to a red motor. It is not recommended to run high compression, a decompression plate is available from Repco for the use of a turbo, with the different pullie ratio’s you will soon work out what is best. Always start off with big jets and low ratio. The car will have to be fitted with a cable accelerator, the cable and mount for a Holley is in the kit. The supplied boost gauge can be plumbed into the manifold where the vacuum for the brake booster used to draw from, the booster is connected to the intake side of the blower. The blower is driven by the twin pullie from the Holden 6 cylinder that had power steering and air conditioning originally. If you have such a pullie this also comes off the price of your kit. If you want to run power steering and air conditioning you will have to mount these yourself as nothing is available for the incorporation of these but this wouldn’t be a hard job.

We have not tested any form of gas on our test car or cam changing. The power increase was considerable with a stock cam (50%) so how much more could be extracted is unknown but consult your cam grinder before fitting any cam. It is not recommended to lighten the flywheel but fit a strong clutch as we found out in testing. Extractors would be suggested and a big flow pipe system. No measurable increase in engine heat was noted but a larger radiator is always a safe guard.

The costs are $1800.00 for a complete kit (State carby used). Remove $50.00 if you have the Holden twin pullie. Remove $100.00 if you have the 2 barrel manifold. If you have your own blower send it to us for the required work on it and remove $300.00. The price includes G.S.T. and packing. Freight insurance is extra. C.O.D. post is available as well as credit card and bank cheque for payment. Freight can be arranged by the customer or prepaid at this end. Costs by road freight would be: Victoria $30.00, Tasmania $45.00, NSW $45.00, SA $45.00, QLD $55.00, NT $65.00 & WA $75.00

$1800! That's USD$1K or so. Less if you consider you wouldn't ship some of the Holden-specific stuff.

Way way back when Inliner was toying with a supercharged Jap transplant, someone (SR, maybe) said "What are you going to have then? A pony that eats rice instead of oats?" We all had a good laugh.

Darned good value, that kit. Imagine it on a 2V head with twin HS-8s!

Adam.

Hey, XECUTE, that's mighty close to what I want to do with my 2V head on a 200" Ford six. I have an Eaton rootes-type supercharger off of a Thunderbird Supercoupe, and the intercooler for it.

BTW, does anybody know if Dellortto side-drafts (Weber copies) will work in a blow-through application?

Mmmm.....2V head Ford six, triple side-draft two-barrels, blower w/6-8 # boost, maybe 250-275 gross HP from 200 cubes, we don't need no stinking 5.0h-hum V8!

Later, Kinky6.

Don't know about that. I do know the Injection Perfection Weber style throttle bodies will run blow-through.

Triple HS8s would easily fuel up your motor, and physically fitting them would be easier. The HIF series carbs may give you the exhaust proximity issues AzCoupe is experiencing.

Regards, Adam.

Re side draft Webers and Dellorto carbs.

Lotus Esprit Turbos in the early years ran blow through DHLA Dellorto carbs. The Italian Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 and Guilietta had a TurboDelta conversion option to their side draft Dellorto carbs.

As Aussie7Mains says about the similar Weber side draft DCOE carbs, they give good results. Just make sure you spend time working out the air/fuel mapping. Turbos that are draw throughs should never be run out of gas. Blow through instilations are more able to handle starvation. Get good books and great advice. The carbs are expensive but very adjustable.

8) my son-in-law purchaced one of these kits for his 202 gm powered fj(1956)custom.we built up a motor with all the go fast bits and two impco 225 carbs.9lbs of boost and 190 rear wheel hp.what surprised us the most though was that it did truely bolt up(can't say that about most kits)moter pulls hard all the way to 7000 rpm.(can't catch the buick though!!)

This is my idea of a GM L6 gasser. How 'bout shoving a 671,653 or 696 on your Hemi 6? 30 degree engine tilt puts a pre'69 Chrysler Slant on things, doesn't it?

Altered%203_03.jpg

:unsure: thought about that long and hard.a performance place close to me has a wade,an eaton an a few gm blowers for the right price,but at the moment i'm putting out a good 350hp(reliably)and with an engine rebuild i can easily bump that to 400.and frankly any more than 400 won't go any faster (i do'nt want larger tyres as i want to keep that '60's look)and i can pull 12.6 now. with 400 i might be able to touch the 11's(but with street tyres?)aother reason is i do a lot of miles(going to various rod runs, around the country, and the blowers i've had over the years tend to wait till you are lots of miles from anywere before they start to make awful noises)but for smaller less powerful motors they are the way to go(such as my son-in-law's holden)all though naturally asperated 300+hp is achivable with all the parts avalible. :) steve

Back