My Tempo EFI conversion

rmoe88

Well i decided to make a new topic so i can post the progress of the efi conversion of my 200ci. So far i have gathered most of the major components needed. Here is a picture of what i have gathered so far.

Picture

1) A 1986 Ford Tempo 2.0Liter Throttle body, got for $5 on ebay

2) A new injector for the TB for $20 on ebay

3) A new MSD Fuel Pump for $30 from ebay

4) A new NGK narrow band O2 sensor w/o heater element for $15 Summit

5) A new GM air temp sensor for $15 from DIYAutotune

6) A Kit Relay board for $65 from DIYAutotune (i already assembled)

7) a kit Megasquirt 2.2 for $134 from DIYAuthotune

8 ) and finaly, a kit stimulator for $48 from DIYAutotune

Total so far -- $332

Ill post more as i progress :D[/url]

This is going on a 200?

If it is a single injector... it better be a BIG one.

Linc's 200 -- Size wise it is a big injector compared to other injectors that i have seen. Im not sure what kind of gph it can flow but another member (MustangSix) has said that bumping the fuel presure up to the 45# range might handle up to 140hp. What did the stock 200's make back in the 60's, like 120hp or something? My 200 is bone stock other that a pertronix distributor upgrade (using stock coil). I think the injector will do fine at the stock to fairly stock level.

Today i finished assembling the MegaStim and started the Megasquirt. I had to stop on the Megasquirt because i need some heat-sink compound before i can put the voltage regulator on. Here is a picture.

Picture

BTW, this is my first time putting together a computer board and other than my dad doing the first 2 solder welds to show me how its done, ive put it together on my own :D im proud of myself lol. It even looks good, no burns or visible shorts.

looking good!!!

you might need an FMU to really bump up the pressure to get enough flow out of that injector though.

I was looking at (pulled it and haven't made up my mind) a honda TBI unit. has a choke setup on it though and twin injectors....looks almost like it would fit in place of a 5200 (one bolt is visibly moved on it about 1/4" out of a rect pattern) was gonna grab it but looks kinda goofy. it did have a nice bolt on bonnet for the top with a 2" inlet that would have been nice for boost (if it didn't grenade)

Thanks Turbo!
What do you think the maximum pressure that the injector can be run at it?
I wont realy know untill its all together but i though that the msd fuel pump was a nice pump for its price, like $90 if you get it from summit. Even at 50# its still in the 40gph range.

chart.jpg

this is from the msd homepage.

This might be a dumb question but whats an FMU? :D

I havent seen the honda tbi's. If they have 2 injectors and looks like a near fit it might be a nice setup. Still not as cool as the port injection project you got going on now though, cant wait to see it run!

I think the stock injector is about 79 lbs/hr @ 35 psi. That should be good for up to about 120 - 130 hp. Bump the pressure to 50 psi and it should take you to about 140 hp without issue. That's assuming a BSFC of about 0.50 and roughly 85% duty cycle on the injector.

Much past that and I think you'll bump into issues with airflow vs. required fuel. The beauty of the Tempo CFI is that it is a very nice package with everything in it.

Thanks Mustangsix!

Today I , for the most part, finished the megasquirt.

Picture

I still need to fit the end plates to the case and put in the led's. Ive been testing this thing on my computer for a wile and its doing very well. Its still set up on what ever comes preloaded so i havent burned in any of the 200's specs in yet, im about to start doing some research on that now :D .
Could i get the .MSQ file that megatune uses from someone who has made a megasquirted 200ci with a TBI?

Moe$":11nja7c4 said:
Today I , for the most part, finished the megasquirt.

Rock on!! (y)

Moe$":11nja7c4 said:
Could i get the .MSQ file that megatune uses from someone who has made a megasquirted 200ci with a TBI?

Could you use similar files from another 3.0-3.5 liter engine?

Linc, Yea i could use whatever i can get right now, it would be nice to see a working setup to help me program mine :D Ill send you a message bro.

Moe$":1w0qdnk9 said:
Linc, Yea i could use whatever i can get right now, it would be nice to see a working setup to help me program mine :D Ill send you a message bro.

sorry, I don't have one but I hope you do find someone who can help.

Thanks anyways linc.
So today i have been working on my own .msq files to run the megasquirt. I have never seen a working one so if anyone has one i would love to see it :D

Here is what i have so far. I have no idea if it is a working setup, and it is still a work in progress.
To see it right click the link and press "save as." When i try and save it my browser renames it to an .xml file. When you save it remember to RENAME it to a ".MSQ" file to see it in the MegaTune program.

http://www.freewebs.com/rjscite/megasqu ... ngFile.msq

If anyone sees any minor, and most likely major flaws PLEASE let me know!

One question i have is how many squirts per cycle (720*) do i put on a single injector TBI? right now i have it at 3 because that puts the injector at the recomended flow rate as described in the manual. What do you guys think?

Thanks guys.

Turbo, are the injector squirts timed up to the intake strokes even on throttle body injection? How would all of the injected fuel reach the cylinder in time?

I have changed the .msq to reflect 6 injections per 720*. As of right now it has a dutycycle of ~48% @ 6000rpm w/ 6 injection pulses of 1.6ms. This seems a bit low, does this make sense to anyone?

Moe$":2eoaz3gb said:
Turbo, are the injector squirts timed up to the intake strokes even on throttle body injection? How would all of the injected fuel reach the cylinder in time?

It can't, and it won't.

Moe$":2eoaz3gb said:
I have changed the .msq to reflect 6 injections per 720*. As of right now it has a dutycycle of ~48% @ 6000rpm w/ 6 injection pulses of 1.6ms. This seems a bit low, does this make sense to anyone?

If you could, would double the number of squirts and make the duration half. That way you still get the same volume, but it is spread out so the air flowing through has a better chance to mix with the fuel.

"It can't, and it won't. " Yea, i had a hard time seeing that being true.

"double the number of squirts and make the duration half. That way you still get the same volume, but it is spread out so the air flowing through has a better chance to mix with the fuel." I see where your going with that. Keep the same amount of fuel getting into the intake but spread it out so it mixes with the air better. Unfortunatly megatune wont let me go above 6 squirts. If i put i had 8 cylinders i can bunp it up to 8 squirts but ill stay at 6 untill i get the basics figured out.

Anyone have anymore help with my .msq? :D

I've been running the Taurus throttle body on my 73 Bronco with a 200 for about 8 months. I've got about 17,000 miles on it so far. I believe the Taurus and the Tempo throttle bodies are the same except for the injector. I am running the Taurus injector which is colored green. It is a 64 lb. injector instead of the 56 lb. Tempo injector which is colored blue. I am running a Ford truck high pressure pump and Mega Squirt I 3.0. I've got my fuel pressure set at 20 psi. I have been using a Dura spark distributor and a MSD box using vacuum advance from a port I drilled into the throttle body. I'm getting ready to up grade to Mega Squirt II and use the computer to control the spark advance. I drive from 100 to 250 mile a day for work with may Bronco and haven't had any problems with this set up. I have made up to 23 mpg but average 20 at 65-70 mph. I am working on getting overdrive to help this. And I am running 6 injections per cycle.

Very cool Larryejoh! Its good to know someone else has got the taurus/tempo setup working.
I am also running the green injector from a taurus. Do you think i could get a copy of your .msq that your using? :D
How is your fuel system doing at 20psi?

Today all i got done was i mounted my new fuel pump to the car. I put it in the trunk just infront of the fuel tank. The fuel line from the tank to the pump will only be about 6" so that should make up for the pump being just above the fuel tank. Ill take a picture of my fuel delivery system once i get the lines run and filters inplace.

Yes I can try to send that to you. It does fine at 20 psi. The stock pressure that the injector is rated at is 16 psi. I had to adjust it up to 20. tbi usually runs at a low pressure. The only problem you will have to overcome is the idle soleiod. The stock Tempo/Taurus idle control soleiod requires the use of MS II. I am using a one wire fast idle soleiod off of a 80's GM that is either on or off. This gives me a set fast idle till it warms up and then it drops out. I am planning to go with the stock idle control soleiod when I go with the MS II.

on the MS- I will a gm idle valve work? the stepper motor style? tha tis what my gm TB has and I think it would be easy to adapt in place of a ford IAC motor.

larryejoh":31x2mjhc said:
I am using a one wire fast idle soleiod off of a 80's GM that is either on or off. This gives me a set fast idle till it warms up and then it drops out.

same way carbed engines were in the 70's when you turned the A/C on.

Back