My Tempo EFI conversion

Last weekend was our big back to the desert trip so i didn't do anything that whole week :( though the desert was a blast 8) . Today i took the carb off to see if the TB would fit. The 2 bolt holes were very close, only the threads of the intake studs kept it from sliding on. A little dremmeling and it fits right on. The next issue i have to take care of is the throttle blade is a tad bigger than the older one. Since the throttle blade is a circle i will only need to take a small amount of metal off of 2 points on the intake log. I will do that sunday. I will hopefully get the return fuel line run sunday also. I also got a air filter system set up. A 3" rubber hose from Napa will adapt the oval shape of the TB to the round shape of the Polished Aluminum intake tube, which has a import style cone airfilter on the end of it. It looks really slick, i cant wait to get it mounted up for good :D

Picture

This is what i got done this weekend. Instead of grinding the little plate that sits on top of the intake log (it has the line to the heater core running through it) I took it off and it fits. I dont have a TPS for it yet, and it looks like it is going to be a close fit because it is very close to the valve cover. i looked up a picture on napas site and it looks like it will fit but i will need to get one to be sure. After i get everything together i might cut the aluminum tube to get the airfilter back a little farther. I am also thinking of putting the battery somewhere else, like the trunk maybe, and making an air box for the air filter where the battery is now and cutting the front sheet metal to make it cold air intake. Still just playing around with some ideas. Too bad that this is my only car, i have to take everything back apart and put the carb back on before it gets dark :([/url]

Moe$":c2z337rl said:
I am also thinking of putting the battery somewhere else, like the trunk maybe, and making an air box for the air filter where the battery is now

That is my vote! (y)

Ya, that sounded like a good idea to me too :D .

I have some questions now though.

#1 is about the distributors vaccum advance. Im using a dizzy with weights and vaccum advance. Do i need to get its vaccum from below the throttle blades or can it be from above? If its below it will get some strange vaccum pressures durring a rapid close of the throttle, like shifting, wont it? Where should i make the hole for the vaccum advance?

#2 is about my plan for my IAT sensors location. I was going to mount it in the rubber hose connecting my TB and airfilter. This way it wont get much heat soak, and it is still very accurate to what the air temps are. Is this an ok location?

#3 is about the sheet metal in the front of the engine bay (dont know its real name) i would guess that this is a structual part of the car. If i cut a hole in it for cold air would i have to put some support bars in around the hole?

#1 Doesn't your megaquirt control your timing??

#2 anywhere between the air fliter and throttle plate is fine

#3 not if you make the hole nice and round. That isn't nearly as structural as the shock towers are.

no im only using the megasquirt to control the fuel as of right now. Some day i will deffinetly get spark controll working on it aswell, i cant remember right now but i think i just need to install a piggyback board onto my computer so it can handle that. Ill do that after i get the fuel part working.

#2,3 ok, thats what i needed to know :D

Still have my question about where to put the distributors vacc advance port at, any ideas?

I assume there is no "ported" vacuum port in the TB....

You may as well just use manifold vacuum for the advance, see what happens. The 1979 Ford Fairmont we had used manifold vacuum for the advance.

Moe

I drilled a small hole in the side of the throttle body in the same location that the Carter had it's port. This is above the plates with the throttle closed and below the plates when they began to open. I countered sunk the hole to a larger diameter so I can put a hose nipple on it. I put JB weld around it to hold it in. Be carefull in drilling the counter sunk hole you don't need it very deep.

Larry

Moe or Larry

I would like to hear more about this...
Post a few more pics of your install.
And give use a update and possible thoughts of upgrades to you existing systems?

Frank

www.PintoWorks.com

Wow, i havent checked this thread for a wile, its good to know people are actualy reading my stuff :D Well i will be getting back on this progect very soon, within a week hopefuly!

The reason i have had this big delay is because my transmission went out some time ago and i was forced to take on a new project unfortunatly, but that one is almost done.

If you have time to kill and would like to see how my t-5 transmission conversion is coming along here is the link http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39794

Oooo yea, About a week ago i got my Fuel Line kit from JEGS, it came with 25' of steel line and all the tools to install it. Maybe tomarrow after i do some stuff that i need to do on my transmission i will run the fuel line. If i do, i will have pictures and if you guys want ill put some do's and dont's of how to run hard line, learned the hard way of course 8)

I went and looked at some TBIs today...most had the green jet...are there other injector options that will fit these TBI's?

I'm really digging this consept. a TBI and a SMALL ihi turbo would liven up the little motor....or just a TBI and a 5speed.

I think I'm going to buy into this progect with a newer 79 head.

Frank

FordConvert -- yea thats the part that sucks... i only know of a few aplications that ford put this TBI on. Off the top of my head, they put them on the 85-87 tempo taurus topaz and the mercury sable 4 cyl. Before that they had carbs and after that they went to multiport. These are just places to begin looking please check to make sure its the right thing you need before ordering it, dont take my "off the top of my head" as solid fact.

FrankBoss -- If i can remember right the green jets are the larger of the 2 that came in these TBI units. Also, people have bumped up the pressure in the fuel line to far greater pressure than they were runnin stock, which would increase the amount of fuel per squirt that is injected. I dont know if you can get any different injectors on this thing :( maybe someone on this forum has a better answer for you. yea, this is a fairly simple setup and i think will be very nice for a mild turbo motor, unless you find out how to get even more out of the injector then you could go crazy with the turbo. Eventualy i want to go turbo aswell, but that will have to wait some time.

I didnt get that line run like i said i was going to :( Ive been having bad headacks on and off but i will get it done very soon so that i can tell you guys how well it works :D

Moe$":2x0jnuv8 said:
I dont know if you can get any different injectors on this thing. Maybe someone on this forum has a better answer for you.

Post a pic, I'll tell you if it looks like a conventional injector. If so, you can swap a 160 LPH into it, which would flow more fuel than the TB can flow air, unless it is boosted.

Moe$":2x0jnuv8 said:
Yea, this is a fairly simple setup and i think will be very nice for a mild turbo motor, unless you find out how to get even more out of the injector then you could go crazy with the turbo.

You can always add auxillary injectors for more fuel under boost, as well.

tempo CFI injector...

CR65-1804-3.jpg

it lookes like the injector would be the limitation on this package. the TB should flow better than the HW or the Carter carbs... I'm really impressed.

I just bought a TBI with injector for 35 bucks. Some of these cars have Aluminium base and others have a cast iron base...but they both look the same. Once i saw one in a little ford I saw them all over the friggin salvage yard. Most were pushrod 2.3L motors.

I've even thought about running a dual TBI on the log head.

One thing at a time...I'm suffering from transmisson issues at the moment so I will study the MS system while working on a 5 speed swap.

Frank

wow, your transmission went out too? This efi Must be cursed, or it just demands that you use it with a 5 speed 8) . You can PM me if you have any questions selecting or building your MegaSquirt, be glad to help. Running 2 of these tbi units on your egnine would be very trick, if you have the time and another car to drive around it would me GREAT to see something like that built!

Link -- thats a cool idea to keep in mind, maybe even a NOS style 2nd gas injection when your up in the rpm's. A second steady flow of gas into the engine would alow the stock injector to slow down wile still getting your desired air mixture. Just an idea...

FrankBoss":wd6sizat said:
I've even thought about running a dual TBI on the log head.

Having them spilt up so that one TB feeds three cyls would be ideal, but you better have your game on when it comes to getting it set-up, because it won't be easy! I wonder if you could link them together with a shaft so that both open while using only one TPS sensor. I don't know how you add the function of a second TPS into the computer functions.

A better idea would be to use a 2-bbl CFI TBI from a 84-up 3.8 or 5.0 Mustang, etc. You can use "regular" injectors in those!

Back