The new OLD FTF gets a "Duesenberg DOHC 4-valve"

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the carbs? Would updrafts be period appropiate? Sure you don't need more suggestions it just a question.

When I was a kid would look at updrafts waiting for the insides to fall out. :roll:

another carb suggestion: theS&S Super B, a now antiquated fixed jet sidedraft- very long. i saw a pic of a 300 w/ three of them, each w/ the S&S teardrop aircleaner.....spooged me trousers, I did.
No acellerator pump, they wanted roll on throttle handling. I ran one on my shovelhead for quite a while - very elegant looking devices.
Theyve been long superceded by the S&S "shortie" carbs, which sacrificed VE & ram effect for you not having to keep your knee way the hell out in traffic.....I see them at swap meets, around $50. blank off the top hole on yr neat fabricated manifold, & mount it on the sides. I bet you could have air horns stickin out your cowl side, then.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I still haven't ruled out the crossflow head - the DOHC head fits either. The barn is no longer in use, just used for storage. Neat backdrop though. I may dirty up the champ car w/mud and dust, push it inside, and take a few "as found" pics later.
Later.

NOTE TO SUPERMAG: did you happen to see the feature in this months issue of Street Rodder magazine on the old car junkyard in Salmon, Idaho? Why do I think you know right where it is
?

Yeah, I covet your barn. Wish I had a old one instead of my generic morton shed.

Course, I covet a number of things that FTF shows us.

Oh well, so much for that one of the ten commandments........ :eek:

Maybe not right away, but at some point that engine MUST have a centrifugal blower, and big chromed flex-tube exhaust pipes coming out the side of the hood. Man oh man oh man ! ! !

Work Begins on the Stainless Steel Exhaust System:

sr021.jpg

sr022.jpg

I decided to start the exhaust system before the holidays. The hardest part will be the megaphone-style header pipes. I made a cone out of .072" thick stainless steel. This stuff was so tough that I was unable to fully form it in my manual slip rollers, so I ended up putting it in a hydraulic press between two dies to get it started then wrapped a couple of chain vise-grips around it to get it in a semi-circular shape. Next I stood it on end and pressed a series of circular objects over it to get it to finally conform to the shape of a cone. Whew! six hours of grueling work!

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER":128y95ao said:
Work Begins on the Stainless Steel Exhaust System: ...

Very cool. It appears that you're building something that is similar to the Lime Fire series headers made by Sanderson for a variety of V8 applications in T-Bucket roadsters, but without the lower connector flange they build for the under-the-car exhaust. Instead I would imagine that you will be coming back out of the large end of the tapered pipe and running a long pipe back along the right side of the car and (I'm guessing here) over the rear axle after dipping it just low enough while passing the cockpit that you don't burn the skin off your right elbow ( :p ) in the same way racing cars of that era ran them. If so, man, that is really going to look cool.

:)

Out of curiousity have you decided on a finish for the exhaust? I mean, you could build the entire thing from stainless and then polish it, or you could chrome it, or you could give both the header and pipe some kind of matte black coating, perhaps one like the "Satin Black 2000 degrees" ceramic coating at the bottom of this web page which would give you a really durable finish that would nicely simulate the black finishes often seen on vintage race car exhausts.

You got it. shmoozo. I hope to use 4" polished stainless all the way back with a perforated heat shield near the driver's elbow. There was supposed to be a finished photo of the cone but I must have messed up my photo host website. Will remedy. (fixed 12/27). The cone gets five eliptical holes for the primary pipes (plus the sixth entering the front).

This is indeed similar to the Limefire exhaust.

I think it would make a good turbo manifold if reversed, no? Hmmmmm - I have a big Rajo turbo somewhere...

Next: Wood body bucks to define the shape of the sheetmetal.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER":16mahqh6 said:
You got it. shmoozo. I hope to use 4" polished stainless all the way back with a perforated heat shield near the driver's elbow. There was supposed to be a finished photo of the cone but I must have messed up my photo host website. Will remedy. The cone gets five eliptical holes for the primary pipes (plus the sixth entering the front).

This is indeed similar to the Limefire exhaust.

I love the idea of the perforated heat shield from both an esthetic perspective and a safety perspective.

If you are planning to try to make it period authentic the patterns of the perforations might be important. I seem to recall finding a web page for a company that sold a broad variety of types of perforated metal sheets. They had holes of various shapes laid out in a variety of patterns and pattern densities. Until I poked through their web pages explaining it all I had no idea such a variety of perforated sheets existed.

I don't honestly know if I can find that company's web page again, but if you like I will try.

I think it would make a good turbo manifold if reversed, no? Hmmmmm - I have a big Rajo turbo somewhere...

Heh .. might not be period correct, but it would likely make it a wee bit faster.

Next: Wood body bucks to define the shape of the sheetmetal.

You are such a tease ...

Regarding the perforated exhaust cover: Thanks shmoozo, but there is a company locally that sells all kinds - I sometimes use it in my art metal sculptures.

What I plan to do for this particular cover is make a curved saddle out of solid stainless and punch an array of recessed holes small enough so that they can't amputate a finger or "cheese grater" my bare skin, leaving a solid border and a place for mounting stand-offs.

I am going to post a few more photos but in order to keep this post from getting too long to download in the future I will return to this post and just edit out the old photos and paste in new ones.

This will be my last post on this car for a while as there are more pressing projects that I must turn to..

Date of current photos: 7/07

sr_026.jpg

sr_027.jpg

sr_028.jpg

sr_029.jpg

Seeing all these pictures of the project that have been posed on that lovely, curving gravel driveway with the farm buildings in the background I'm beginning have hopes that after this project it completed you'll post a link to a video that shows you grinning like a maniac while you man-handle the thing through a wild, 4-wheel-drift around that driveway, slinging gravel and scattering a large flock of terrified chickens.

Yeah, I know, it's a cliche, but ya just have to smile when ya think about it, don't ya?

Oh, and by the way, you do realize that you're going to need a really cool, vintage-looking set of goggles to wear while you're driving that thing, right? It would be downright blasphemous to wear more contemporary eye protection while driving that thing.

Oh, and as dashing as they look, skip the long, silk scarf flowing in the breeze. Darn things are too prone to getting caught in the spokes and, well, I think you can see where that might go.

:(

Yeah! Leather helmet and goggles! :eek:

I nominate this as FSP's "Coolest project of 2007".

addo":trohpang said:
Yeah! Leather helmet and goggles! :eek:

I nominate this as FSP's "Coolest project of 2007".

Well, we should probably give him time to finish the car first, eh? This project isn't exactly a weekend build, ya know. He's got to hand form the entire body and fabricate a whole bunch of parts, some of which are likely to be fairly complex. We wouldn't want him to rush this thing, would we? And, of course, racing season is fast approaching and he's likely to be pretty busy with other things for a while.

shmoozo":3lxycumc said:
Seeing all these pictures of the project that have been posed on that lovely, curving gravel driveway with the farm buildings in the background I'm beginning have hopes that after this project it completed you'll post a link to a video that shows you grinning like a maniac while you man-handle the thing through a wild, 4-wheel-drift around that driveway, slinging gravel and scattering a large flock of terrified chickens.

Yeah, I know, it's a cliche, but ya just have to smile when ya think about it, don't ya?

Oh, and by the way, you do realize that you're going to need a really cool, vintage-looking set of goggles to wear while you're driving that thing, right? It would be downright blasphemous to wear more contemporary eye protection while driving that thing.

Oh, and as dashing as they look, skip the long, silk scarf flowing in the breeze. Darn things are too prone to getting caught in the spokes and, well, I think you can see where that might go.

:(

Yes, as I sat and pondered the car I did imagine doing a four wheel drift on video. No chickens though.

I am looking for a pair of those old goggles. And an old flight cap that covers my ears. And maybe a jockey-style helmet that they wore. A friend in the next town over has a large collection of old midgets and memorabilia. Maybe he will loan me stuff for a photo.

No silk scarf, check. Dont want to pull an Isadora Dunkin. On a related note some co-workers used to tease me about the clip-on long ties I wore to work - until I asked them if they ever saw an engineer's tie get caught in a water pump pulley of a dyno engine spinning at several thousand RPM.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER":2djfnt60 said:
Yes, as I sat and pondered the car I did imagine doing a four wheel drift on video. No chickens though.

Okay, we can always get Industrial Light and Magic to add the chickens later anyway.

I am looking for a pair of those old goggles. And an old flight cap that covers my ears. And maybe a jockey-style helmet that they wore. A friend in the next town over has a large collection of old midgets and memorabilia. Maybe he will loan me stuff for a photo.

That sounds like it would be a good source for the right sort of gear for the video, but you may want to get some of your own for when you take that thing out to play.

No silk scarf, check. Dont want to pull an Isadora Dunkin.

Certainly not.

On a related note some co-workers used to tease me about the clip-on long ties I wore to work - until I asked them if they ever saw an engineer's tie get caught in a water pump pulley of a dyno engine spinning at several thousand RPM.

Most of my old engineering professors didn't wear ties, even in the classrooms (much less the lab and shop areas), and I have a distinct memory of my junior high school shop teachers explaining why wearing ties around lathes and other similar power tools was a really bad idea. The clip-on tie pretty much eliminates the concern, however, doesn't it?

Even safer is a clip on bow tie, but I'd rather go tieless, myself. Machine shops, garages and engineering labs should be regarded as tie-less zones if you ask me.

Even safer is a clip on bow tie, but I'd rather go tieless, myself. Machine shops, garages and engineering labs should be regarded as tie-less zones if you ask me

I should think that if you have your tie properly secured under you suit coat, then there won't be too much to flap outside of your grey labcoat while you are working, right?

I should think that if you have your tie properly secured under you suit coat, then there won't be too much to flap outside of your grey labcoat while you are working, right?
Thet is one of the nice things about my cleric collar, nothing hangs. :) Also I seen guys loose fingers because of rings, and ears because of earrings. :roll: :roll:

ludwig":3hnve4ls said:
Even safer is a clip on bow tie, but I'd rather go tieless, myself. Machine shops, garages and engineering labs should be regarded as tie-less zones if you ask me

In some dyno cells things tend to get red hot, necessitating huge blower fans to keep the electronic bits from cooking, etc. Add that to the miriad of plumbing, instrumentation booms, exhaust systems to step over, duck under and otherwise avoid means ties can fly about at will.

Let's see: Blistering heat, ear-splitting noise, gale force winds, and the threat of dodging shrapnel at any moment - not a great working environment. Kinda makes me think of our boys in the mid east and their daily plight.

I must say, looking at those pictures, you are a handome brute! I imagined you as being taller, though.
But I still have more holes in my head than you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back