first time ever transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
yah like some of you guys have said, i can get my motor and trans out together in about half an hour ! try that with a vee-eight! haha!

Workin' at a tranny shop I got spoiled with lifts and tall tranny jacks that hold onto your tranny pan. =) Rotating, up-and-down moving gold mines, those things are. I love them! =) Plus, an impact gun and plenty of room to work is nice. =)

eh, putting mating my engine too the tranny was pretty easy. My friend had tried by himself for four hours, then i got there and hopped in the engine compartment after positioning it high enough. Then got behind it and lifted while pushing to hold it on, slid right up. Pissed my friend off alot, then again i'm younger then him (hes 50) and i've got about fifty pounds on him too, so its a bit easier for me to push the engine around.

i hope someone is still reading this thread. i am getting ready to pull a 200 and fordo out of a 60 ranchero. my shed will not be ready so i am doing this in a gravel drive. the rad. gen. exhaust are removed, do i try to pull both or one at a time ? thanks fo any input

If you pull both it's an up-forward-up-forward game. Either way, it's some work. If you have jackstands to put the car up high enough to pull the tranny out the bottom, do it that way. If you don't, pull them both at the same time. =)

Rickwrench mentioned to cut the heads off a couple of six inch bolts and thread into the block and use for alignment studs. On my 66 mustang this got me in trouble because the tranny bellhousing hit the bottom of the firewall as I slid the tranny back.First of all I started out with about a four inch bolts, then cut them down to about two inches, which they worked great then for on and off guide studs. Hope this helps someone else.

Lowell

But remember: you get your Man Card stamped by doing the "Tranny Bench Press" under a car up on jackstands!!!! Then the next time you get smart and have a friend or spouse help you with the floorjack and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back