The new OLD FTF gets a "Duesenberg DOHC 4-valve"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yuk, Yuk, Yuk. Actually the head form is left over from a full size suit of armor I am making. I get it out each Halloween to make a few more details. Ever watch a little trick-or-treater run from a seven foot suit of armor he thought was an inanimate decoration?

A helmet like this?

0506649xe.jpg

£49 from holden.co.uk - a British vintage bits supplier. This model is called the "Spitfire".

Do you have a nickname for the project, FTF ? It kinda begs for a cool name to be known as.

The "Duesen-Bruiser" :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: . Very cool l'il project Mr. Flyer. Now there's another name you could use. American-Flyer,as in the 50's model train maker. ~OO6.

with apologies to FTF........

lionel kicks AF's ass.

WATCH OUT FOR THE THIRD RAIL! :LOL:

sorry to hijack this thread, now back to our regularly scheduled programming..........

82F100 thanks for the web site - I added it to my favorites.

Actually I WAS thinking of a clever name. I should start a contest to name the car. Maybe give away my crossflow head to the winner as a prize. *

So far the only thing I thought of was "Frenchtown Special" painted on the cowl and "Duesenberg Factory Racing" painted in the hood side panels. And of course "#6" on the radiator and rear body sides with several vintage decals (Mobilgas, USAC, etc.) down the frame rails. And then I'd like to get some of my driving heroes to autograph it.

addo, Sweet helmet. I could use it in the boudoir too.

Lionel Trains rule - many pleasant childhood memories.

*Maybe NOTTT!!! But I will send you a free copy of the article "Building Ford's Big Six" I penned with a FTF personalized autograph and my undying thanks for thinking up a good name.

FTF, What if we can't come up with a name for your ride?Can we still get a signed copy of the article?

I guess so. But I had better put together a post-article update to reflect some of the stuff I learned in the last quarter century of tinkering with these engines. Maybe I ask for a little donation to cover printing and shipping if there is large interest.

In my spare time.

How 'bout :"The Frenchtown Flyer"? Heck, it's a cool moniker already- why not use it? It certainly sounds "period-correct".
PM me for shipping info for the head, etc. LOL

Lets see ..........the "Nut-N-Special"............. FauxMoCo......... Mock1 ....... Faux Flyer ............. now you have got me thinking about it. Quit mind, quit!!!

Le Renard Subtil- the Sly Fox, in French. Ferocious Iroquios opponent of the Deerslayer. think Wes Studi in "Last of the Mohicans. "
Allows a ferocious painted warrior for a mascot. And I believe in France in War One & the 20's, American Indians had great cache among pilots & racers.......

I've been looking at sources for "vintage" tires and stumbled on these.

From that web page:

Roger Kraus Racing":3nu833ts said:
Tyres designed for street and race track use. Uses a good looking 3 stud tread pattern, used on just about everything pre-war. Tyres rated to 130 MPH (except Classico) and are D.O.T. tested for the USA. These tyres have the correct section width for each size.

and this image ...

riden2.jpg

I'm not sure if that's anything akin to what you'd like on the car, but ...

There's other kinds of vintage tires out there, too, of course. Just thought I'd add these to the mix in case you hadn't already seen them.

shmoozo":3pxzxkd5 said:
Out of curiousity have you decided on a finish for the exhaust? I mean, you could build the entire thing from stainless and then polish it...

I decided to go with polished stainless. Does anybody have a source for a piece of 4" polished stainless steel, preferably in the Great Lakes area? Cheap? I s'pose I could get some heavy truck exhaust stack. I need about an 8 foot section.

I might be able to get you a four inch piece of stainless. It would be about .080 wall and mighty heavy, and it wouldn't be polished. :( It would also be located in Texas. :(

I know this isn't much help, believe me I would like to help. :D

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER":kszbthk6 said:
shmoozo":kszbthk6 said:
Out of curiousity have you decided on a finish for the exhaust? I mean, you could build the entire thing from stainless and then polish it...

I decided to go with polished stainless. Does anybody have a source for a piece of 4" polished stainless steel, preferably in the Great Lakes area? Cheap? I s'pose I could get some heavy truck exhaust stack. I need about an 8 foot section.

So you'd be using this for the pipe that runs along the right side of the speedster, right?

Hmmm ... I dunno about cheap, but ... Burns Stainless has 4" diameter 304 stainless 16 gauge tubing for about $28/foot and I would think that's unpolished. They're in California. Link HERE.

They also have the higher grade 321 stainless in a 4 inch diameter but a lighter weight 20 gauge but that's almost twice as expensive. Since this is for the pipe AFTER the header it most likely won't be exposed to the heat extremes a header primary tube would see so I'd say the 304 (which I gather polishes up really nicely) would be the more rational choice.

Then again, a nice 4 inch diameter 304 stainless exhaust stack for a truck that you could pick up at a local full service truck stop or over-the-road truck dealer might be a bit less costly. Poking around a little on the internet I saw some with straight ends that were as tall as 96" which would be exactly the 8 feet you'd need. Check around with the places that service large trucks in your area for prices.

One nice thing about using an 8 foot long, 4 inch diameter pipe. That's large enough to slip in a Cherry Bomb style glasspack muffler (or two ... or even three :LOL:) if the darn thing winds up being so darn noisy the police in the next town over get called every time you fire it up.

Frankly, I'd be willing to bet it's gonna be really, really loud as a straight pipe :LOL:. I'm not really sure how you'd fix a muffler inside so it wouldn't just slide back out, but I'm pretty sure a resourceful guy like you who had access to a welder and some cutting tools could find a way to manage.

:)

Oh, and here's one final thought. If there's a big truck salvage yard near you anywhere you might be able to work a deal on a used stack pulled off a big rig. It'd likely have some scratches and dings and dents and "patina", but then again that might just make it all the more appealing to you depending on the "look" you're going for with this thing.

:)

This project is such an inspiring one. Following the developments, I studied both Indy and European GP history and discovered that there have indeed been very wild rides both sides of the Atlantic. Cars like Auto-Union Type D for example. Also the Miller history site is worth reading. What a surprise that many of the legendary race cars were FWD (!) at the time. Never crossed my mind it could be that way.

Also some of the Mercedes GP cars from the years immediately before and somewhat after the WWII are pure hot rods. For example, look at this site

http://www.marksf1models.co.uk/CMC/CMC.htm

although they are toys, the pics are good in quality and make for very interesting journey. Also the 1960 Maseratis - am I the only one who thinks they were pretty advanced at the time ?

Not to forget the obvious

http://www.milleroffy.com/Photo%20&%20S ... htm#Photos

for an instant time machine.

All in all, FTF's project - I run out of words. Best of luck for the project !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back