Duraspark help please

A

Anonymous

well guys i took the plunge and bought all of the stuff to convert to Duraspark. Went all out and got platinum plugs and a hi perf coil lol. I was look at the diagrams in the tech section and i noticed i have an extra(3rd) plug on my (stock ford)module. does this hafta be wired up to any thing or just left alone. Thanks all

Sheldon

ps. the Comet has an ooga horn now!! awesome!!

i cant imagen a 3 plug on the module , never did see 1 , but i did the conversion last week , dura ll with msd box [ first test it with the orginal dura box ] and a mallory coil , was a easy setup with the msd box .try to get 1 on ebay , they work great . i did convert the orginal dura cable set to fit the msd module, lucky me i got 1 cable set for spare , i,m just wake up , give me a couple ouhrs and i wil make some pic of the dura l and dura ll box i got here and my setup with the msd box in the car ! maybe that give a little more explain , btw you,r able to make any pic ? would realy like to see the dura box with the 3 connectors ! i did thought i here somewhere one,s that there exist ,but never did see 1 !

well two plugs are like the diargam: one is orange/purple/green/black and the other is red/white. the third one is yellow/brown/black with white stripe. The parts guy said it is direct aftermarket replacement. I wanna do the conversion but this plug is holdin me up :)

thanks

8) i know there was a reason for the third plug but for the life of me i cant remember. what application did you get the module from?

I believe it was for the 78 fairmont

side note--my Advance Auto guys know their stuff lol amazing

IIRC, the third plug is for an altitude sensor.(?!!!) It doesn't have to be functional for the unit to work, but I can't remember if you're supposed to short it or just leave it empty. I'll see if I can find out, or maybe some of these other guys might know...

that sounds right

curius as to wat it would do if hooked up. Help me soon dizzy should be here today :D

It seems MarkP is with holding information from y'all

MarkP":3bvsph51 said:
If you can find one, get the "yellow grommet" Duraspark from a late-70s T-Bird, Cougar or LTD with the 351W engine. Get the little vacuum diaphragm, too, that connects to the 'extra' 2-pin connector. This system connects similarly to the regular Duraspark, but has an extra feature that's good for extra power or MPG, depending on how you connect it up.

Read the rest HERE for some more good info

-ron

Not holding out, it's just that no one ever asked before!

The yellow grommet module is the "high altitude emissions" module. The additional two wires, when activated by atmoshperic pressure, would retard the timing 4 degrees so that vehicles sold for high altitude use would function well and not knock when driven down to sea level.

This could be a useful feature if you wired it to a normally open Hobbs switch that activated at low engine vacuum to retard timing under high load to prevent knock.

wat do I do if i dont wanna use it though? Or as 2nd choice, how easy is it to get the diaphram?

:shock: OOps i havent been reading good enough. The module i got is a three pin on the third plug not two. see original description on wire colors

Sheldon, what color is the grommet that the wires come out of?

Actually, it doesn't matter. What you want is the BLUE grommet, 49 state version for a 78-79 Fairmont. Forget the trick advance/retard features. You have no need for that. If the grommet is not BLUE; if you got a BROWN or YELLOW version, take it back and exchange it.

so i wont be able to make the yellow or brown work at all if I got it? The grommet is the part where the wires clamp to the module body right?

i just looked at the Advance Auto website and my module (GP Sorenson EL109 yellow grommet) says hi altitude in the description. Looking at other alternitivs for the 78 fairmont, i see a Niehoff FF402 (i think its a blue grommet), which is 2 plug and doesnt say hi altitude. Im asuuming this will work for me but please verify this. also will it work with my coil accel #140001. check out advance auto website for more pics and details if u need them.

Thanks everyone, this forum is a godsend

The yellow and blue grommets are seen in my local junkyards on 200 engines. The yellows always have the vacuum sensor (see my Tips post in the Tech section for details). The yellow ones only appear on Mercury Zephyrs and Mustangs around here: I live in Colorado at 6000 ft.

I'll be replacing my blue one this summer with a yellow after I get the head milled and back on. The yellow I'm using came from a Police Interceptor 200 (yes, they did have one). I'll be connecting it just like the one in my T-Bird.

Back