Test Results - mrarley (dyno)

LaGrasta":mti3iy7u said:
200ci=160hp @ $5000
302ci=350hp @ $2500 but weighs 100lbs more

Sorry, didn't mean to high-jack the post guys. The above equations sums up the high-jacked portion.

My conclusion is reguardless what the hp and $ ends up, a six can be hopped up enough to have a bunch of fun, all comparisons aside. 8)

Somthing else to figure into your calculations.... ;)

160 hp is measured at the Wheels
350 hp is measued at the Flywheel

Just to put that in some perspective! :D :D

Later,

Doug

When I put the 200/crossflow hybrid together I weighed all the parts. I suspect a 200 AZ head engine would weigh about the same. My total was 335 lbs. That's almost 200 lbs less than an iron headed 302/5.0.

The hp/$ comparison is a whole 'nother can 'o worms. If that were an overriding criteria, then Ferrari and Porsche powerplants make no sense either. Neither do Flathead Ford V8's. But they appeal to us because of their exotic nature, not their bang-for-the-buck. An alloy head 200 reaches into the realm of the exotic. Why else would people still drive and race things like flatheads, VW's, inlines, and all other manner of "different" engines?

I've made this same argument, but in reverse a few months back on the HAMB. I basically stated, we have a guy running in the 10s with a six. They jumped all over me with V8 this and V8 that.

"The hp/$ comparison is a whole 'nother can 'o worms. If that were an overriding criteria, then Ferrari and Porsche powerplants make no sense either. Neither do Flathead Ford V8's. But they appeal to us because of their exotic nature, not their bang-for-the-buck. An alloy head 200 reaches into the realm of the exotic. Why else would people still drive and race things like flatheads, VW's, inlines, and all other manner of "different" engines?"

Well stated. I understand that clearly.

As for me and my daily driver, I have no plans on swapping anything. This six isn't going to die any time soon. I'm sure I will continue to bolt on this and that increasing it's performance incrementally through it's life. I think a decent goal for my situation is about 130hp at the wheels. I'm going to need that AL head! ;)

Guys, I hate to break up the party, but how does this relate to the original topic? This was a post about MRaley's Mustang, and the improvements.
It turned into a what appeared to be an attempt to sell V8s and now it is turning again. :LOL:

I think we should keep this post focused on facts and we can bench race and speculate elsewhere. :D

I'd like to know who can build a 350hp 302 for $2500. I say they are full of it. You can't even make a 300 hp 302 with stock Ford Windsor heads. You have to go aftermarket to do that, whether it's Motorsport heads or any number of other companies heads. I've built a number of 302's and you can make 350 hp with a 302, even 400 hp without stroking it, but it won't be very streetable, and you sure won't do it for $2500. You might get away with $2500 in just the heads, if you're lucky. I've got between $6K & $7K in the current one I have to make 400hp and I bet it's only making 385 hp in reality. The power band is 2500-6500 rpm, so it's kind of streetable. The manual trans makes it that way. You can really feel it pull from 2500 rpm up. It started out as an XB3 345 hp crate motor with X-303 heads, a B303 cam and standard bore. The heads have been fully ported, including port matching to an old Shelby style high rise dual plane intake. Rockers were changed to 1.7's. I know I could make more power by going to a more radical cam, and a single plane intake, but it would make it even less streetable. It has a Demon 650 carb and aeromotive fuel system feeding it. The short block was disassembled. The pistons were weight matched, rods balanced and aftermarker ARP bolts were used. The crank was microplished and oil holes chamfered. The whole reciprocating assembly was balanced. It has a DSS main girdle, crank scraper and ARP main studs. There were other things done that I will not reveal, but anyone that races SBF's know the standard old tricks. Just like others have said previously, it's still just another cookie cutter SBF. It has been done to death, and I have done it too. That's what excites me a bout them darn INLINE 6 CYLINDERS! They are different and it's something exciting because it's different. My $.02

Darrell

Back