The new OLD FTF gets a "Duesenberg DOHC 4-valve"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the links Muki. That Mercedes W25 really looks sharp. One thing I notced as I studied all the cars was an absence of shoulder harnesses, which my car WILL have. I just need to figure out the best way to anchor them behind my shoulders. It will take some additional bars and bracing though.

Ditto on a removable roll bar.

Sir,
any news - bet I'm not the only one eager to know ? Yes I know it was said earlier that other tasks are more important now, but...

I found a suitable body shell for you.

eda2_1.JPG

More inspiration at the Ronart website. Do a fenderless version.

Alastair2.jpg

That is a beautiful car but I do think it would look better without the fenders.

Muki, Yes I'm back on this project in fits and starts. I made a deep sump oil pan, a low-buck center steer set-up (from a '56 Ford truck box), motor mounts (flathead style), etc. I will post some photos when I get a chance. Busy, busy, busy.

Hi Friends. New photos are posted (further up the topic - scroll up).

The first one shows the motor mounted. Custom mounts (4 degree installation angle) using Speedway biscuits, C4 trans and crossmember in place. I will add lightening holes to the engine mounts when time permits. Is that motor imposing-looking or what?

The second pic shows the old-timey deep sump oil pan I built to give it a racey look. The short block will be .020-over 1987 block.

The third pic shows the C4 crossmember with a stock cushion. With a lopey cam the drivedrain will shake and shimmy in this lightweight flyer. Perfect.

The last pic shows a low-buck center-steer box I built from a '56 Ford pickup manual box; a stock box is on the left. I made a shaft extension, center mount and a more favorable pitman arm for the outboard side. This saves me trying to find a rather pricey Ross or Shroeder center-steer box somewhere.

I'm really psyched about gettin to gettin to it on this project. But it is number three priority at the moment so progress has been slow.

In pioneer days the area where I grew up in NE Ohio had places like Mulberry Corners and Wool Hollow on the old maps. Long-forgotten post offices and farming enclaves. I plan to memorialize these places on the side of the car with mythical "Wool Hollow Speedway " and "Mulberry Corners Garage" signage.

Next steps: Mock in steering box and dash/cowl area.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER":nk613w50 said:
In pioneer days the area where I grew up in NE Ohio had places like Mulberry Corners and Wool Hollow on the old maps. Long-forgotten post offices and farming enclaves. I plan to memorialize these places on the side of the car with mythical "Wool Hollow Speedway " and "Mulberry Corners Garage" signage.

This suggests a possible moniker for the car -- The Mulberry Corners Meteor or perhaps simply The Mulberry Meteor.

Not bad, eh?

:)

By the way, mulberries, when ripe, are a deep, blackish-purple color, which might actually make a darn nice color for a car. Just a thought.

Thanks. Good "food" for thought. I usually paint my cars some variant of blue but deep purple sounds good - maybe over cream in a scalloped format.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER":13zocjui said:
Thanks. Good "food" for thought. I usually paint my cars some variant of blue but deep purple sounds good - maybe over cream in a scalloped format.

That could look really good. Scallops in a period correct style would be a nice touch no matter what colors you end up using.

I modified the '56 F100 steering box for center steering. Cleaned and ground case, converted it from oil to grease lube, added sector shaft extension.
sr_033.jpg

sr_035.jpg

Decided to go with a traditional rear leaf spring instead of coil-overs. I found this one at a swap meet in Adrian MI for $10. I have no idea what it is from - its not an 'A' beacuse it is 2.25 inches wide and the 'A' springs are 1.75 inches wide. It may be from an 'AA' or a 'T' heavy truck. Only about four or five of the 10 leaves will be used.
sr_034.jpg

Next comes a steering crossmember, drag link, and cockpit/cowl buck.

Did you say you are thinking baout doing a book on hot rodding 300's? Mark me down for a copy if you write it. :D

Sexy exhaust system – racers dream –> pipefitters nightmare

Started on the exhaust system – polished stainless old school racing exhaust 6-into-1 down the side of the car to the rear in a 4â€￾ pipe.

Some subtle details:
The head pipes are in a plane of 4 degrees down in front. That is because the engine sits in the chassis at 4 degrees and I think the head pipes will look better if they are level with the frame rail.

The alignment jig board is located approximately where the side of the hood will be.

I was tempted to just run the head pipes straight into the collector to save much fit-up work and expense. I finally decided to sweep them to the rear.

Now they have to be fitted together and TIG welded.

I decided to use the Crossflow Head on this project.

I am also looking for two (or three) side draft carburetors for that old timey induction system look (think ’53 Hudson Twin H Power or ’54 Corvette).
sr_036.jpg

sr_037.jpg

sr_038.jpg

Right you are - Hudsons were downdrafts. What I want to achieve is the look of carbs going in one hood side panel and exhausts out the other side panel. I've seen some down drafts, and even some updrafts in these old cars, but sidedrafts is the best looking to me. Maybe with a homebuilt all-encompassing air cleaner for those dirt short tracks.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER":oz6h82oq said:
... I am also looking for two (or three) side draft carburetors for that old timey induction system look (think ’53 Hudson Twin H Power or ’54 Corvette). ...

Possibly something off a 60's vintage Jaguar? I seem to recall that some of those had induction systems using 2 to 3 side draft carburetors. SU carbs, perhaps?

Here's a couple links with what might be some helpful hints.

Jaguar Engine, Fuel and Sparks

THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > Hokey Ass Message Board > Good cheap side draft carbs

Thanks fot the helpful suggestions. Boy, those Jag engines sure are pretty.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER":22ert2m1 said:
Thanks fot the helpful suggestions. Boy, those Jag engines sure are pretty.

Yeah, they were. They were like a lot of the classic DOHC designs from the 50's.

The Alfa Romeo inlines of the period were similar in a lot of ways, but they were a lot smaller. The fours ran from about 1.3 liters to 1.6 liters, and later up to about 2.0 liters as I recall. They also had some DOHC six cylinder inlines that went up to about 2.6 liters. Wild looking things they were, especially in the triple-carb Spider version of the engine. Not too many of the sixes made it to this side of the Atlantic.

I had a friend who had a small collection of the Alfas. Among them were a Guilia Sprint Speciale, a 1.6 liter powered thing which looked like a smallish Ferrari. Very limited production on those. He also had one of just three 2600 (2.6 liter inline 6) sedans that ever made it to the US. They were evidently brought over for the Italian consulate, but weren't normal import items. Alfa only sold the coupes and spiders from that line here, and didn't sell many of those.

The sedan reminded me a bit like a small version of Checker sedan -- all boxy and upright -- but it went like stink and cornered like you would not believe. The interior was downright luxurious in an understated way. And like all Alfas of that period it had a 5 speed manual trans. Unlike the others, however, it didn't use a floor shifter. No, it actually had a "5-on-the-tree." I don't think you'll find many people who ever drove a car with one of those

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back