The new OLD FTF gets a "Duesenberg DOHC 4-valve"

Status
Not open for further replies.
:D Hi Geezer300.That would definitely be a mechanics nightmare for maintaince.Can you say"explosion in a spagetti factory".
Leo

Actually, it's very simple. One lever is equal to transverse motion through the gate, while the other represents for-and-aft selection. Renault did it, too. I think some of the Japanese vehicles use a cable pair for the same result on a tree shift, just as they use cable pairs for the floorshift on a FWD motor.

More than one lever?? Great, I already have problems with wipers, lights and turn signals with these new vehicles :LOL: :LOL:

No, I mean at the base of the jacket, where it pokes into the engine bay. they already have two levers there.

Here's the exhaust all welded up. Can't wait to hear it. The first photo is taken (now use your imagination a bit here) hopping over the pit wall. The next is flat-trackin down into turn 1. The last getting pushed into victory lane.
sr_041.jpg

sr_040.jpg

sr_039.jpg

Headers are tough enough to seal as it is, without all of that extra weight and leverage pulling them down. What are you going to do to help support that exhaust?

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER":27zgd7ff said:
Here's the exhaust all welded up. Can't wait to hear it.

I love the way that turned out, but it looks to me as though hearing protection is going to be important while operating that thing for any significant length of time. No doubt about it, the roar of that critter at full chat is going to be LOUD!

:eek:

With that in mind, here is another suggestion for a possible name.

"The Frenchtown Lion"

:)

:D Hey shmoozo.Loud it might be.HOWEVER,look close at the cockpit mockup.
Centerline of CENTER of cockpit appears to be AT LEAST 3 or more feet forward of the end of the header dump,so it SHOULD`NT be all that loud in the cockpit.
Leo

If we can get it fast enough to out run the speed of sound, no problem :LOL: :LOL: However the wind noise would still be there :shock:

Well, my plan is to fab a slip-in muffler to slide into the end of the tailpipe. And be easily removed too.

NEWSFLASH!: My friend John E just donated a set of two SU sidedraft carburetors with manifold. Many thanks John!
Now to get busy on a XFLO intake.

you have to remember its FTF ...

carbs probably decend from the heavans :D

They still have the metal part tags on them: AUD135F and AUD135R (presumably Front and Rear) on a cast aluminum intake with balance tube - I think they are Austin Healey - with about a 1.5" bore. Im guessing that combined they dont flow more than 350 cfm @ 3". Boy are these things weird compared to my American junk - I have a lot to learn. Does anybody have a good website to recommend regarding rebuilding / modifying them?

Go to a plumbing website and get the adjustment instructions for a Sloan Valve. They work about the same way.

Virtually anything on tuning British cars from the 60s should have info on the SU

F and R are indeed the pair denotations.

Those are early (66/67) MGB carbs, with the 1½" throttle bore you noted. Honestly, they will be a little weedy for any performance application unless you ran four of them. Sizes from one inch through two inches carry the same square mounting flange specs.

SU carbs are generically identified with an even number up to eight following the preceding letters. EG; HIF 6, HS 4, HD 8. The number represents total number of eighth-inches in the throttle bore exceeding one inch. So an HS 2 is 1" plus 2/8 inches, or 1¼" total...

Carbs with the separate float bowl off to the side, are earlier but probably less likely to give headaches than those with integrated fuel bowls.

These guys have a good stock of parts and reproduce stuff (but the website is a bit clunky!): http://www.burlen.co.uk/default.aspx

Rebuilding is simple; the largest exercise normally is bronze-bushing the throttle spindle holes. Solvent clean the carbs only; no acid dipping. Pull one apart at a time and marvel at how simple and clever the fuel circuit is.

Regards, Adam.

Thanks for the info.

I measured my throttle bores and they are only 1.37. So yes, kinda small, but maybe good for cruising down the street in the 4th of July parade at 3 mph. A YF 1V has a 1.65 bore, but these SUs dont have a small venturi. I'm thinking they have about 40% bigger throttle area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back