The new OLD FTF gets a "Duesenberg DOHC 4-valve"

Status
Not open for further replies.
mattri":3n74u2g9 said:
This may be a dumb question, is the runner being so much longer for the 1 and 6 cyl and shorter for the 3 and 4 cyl's going tbe an issue? I always wondered why intakes aren't more like an equal leangth header. Thanks, Matt.

Look at some of the in takes of the 1930s and 1940s. Many looked like household plumbing connections. Concern about equal lengths, equal volumes, straight runners, etc was as not paramount. Packaging was a larger issue in those smallish cars. I tried to make it look OLD. Several modern inlines - slant six Chryslers and 2.3L Pintos come immediately to mind - have unequal runners and perform acceptably too.

ludwig":u793ftoe said:
Not to digress here, but where have you been Muki? The guys were asking about you. I said you were off ice bike racing until the sun came up in March or so.

Well, a long story but I'll try to make it short. First of all, still involved with ford sixes. Just got two ARP head stud packages for the big ole' six.

But while I've been missing - a lot of things have happened like changing to a new job, spending 2+ months in the US for training (both west and east coast), acquired a 1973 4d sedan Valiant with a healthy alu headed 440 - good for easy mid-to-high 11's on the 1/4 mile (normally aspirated - it's a riot on wheels), oh yes did I mention working a lot, and then once again working around the clock for months and months in a row.

But gent's the thing is, once you get involved with ford sixes you will never really leave. You may be gone for awhile, temporarily.

Good to know, thanks. So at what point, if at all, does it help to have the runners equal, or close?

mattri":i93rr56e said:
Good to know, thanks. So at what point, if at all, does it help to have the runners equal, or close?

Equal length intake runners will maximize HP at a single RPM. This is not always a good thing. Look at pictures of some of the old Can-Am cars from the late 60s and early 70s. They used multiple length velocity stacks on their fuel injection systems to create multiple power peaks at different RPMs. Since the power curves overlapped, this gave the effect of a very wide, flat power band. Of course the fact that they were running 494 CID aluminum Rat motors didn't hurt. But peak power isn't everything, unless you run Bonneville.

Wow, that just opens up a ton more questions, don't want to high jack the thread though. Thanks for the reply, Matt.

I was surffing the HAMB and found this photo of a sprinter circa 1952 with an inline six. It was powered by a Ranger six, which was, I believe a helicopter or aircraft engine. Correct me if I'm wrong. I liked the lines and proportions of this machine.
rangersprinter01.jpg

Could be. The Fairchild 440 was used in airplanes and helicopters. OHC 6 cylinder, inline, air-cooled, 440ci, 175hp@2450rpm, 376lbs. It was used in a lot of trainers like the Fairchild PT19. In the airplane it was run inverted as shown in the picture.

5.jpg

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER":2bzeeit2 said:
I was surffing the HAMB and found this photo of a sprinter circa 1952 with an inline six. It was powered by a Ranger six, which was, I believe a helicopter or aircraft engine. Correct me if I'm wrong. I liked the lines and proportions of this machine.

I stumbled on a photo collection today online. It's a page full of Miller and Offy race cars thumbnail images each of which links to a full sized image.

Here is a link:

The Miller/Offenhauser Historical Society Photo & Sound Gallery

There are a lot of images full of ideas for any project car like the one you're building.

:)

I haven't checked out the sounds yet, but I sure do plan to.

:D

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER":qo007bp7 said:
I decided to go with polished stainless. Does anybody have a source for a piece of 4" polished stainless steel, preferably in the Great Lakes area? Cheap? I s'pose I could get some heavy truck exhaust stack. I need about an 8 foot section.

I was just checking out a link somebody posted in another thread, and stumbled on something I thought might interest you.

side.gif

Sidepipe Insert Mufflers - popular on Corvettes & some Cobras.
The expanded ends slip just inside a 4" OD sidepipe - slots cut into each end can be tweaked slightly in order to keep constant tension against the inside of the sidepipe during exhaust heating & cooling cycles. This eliminates rattling & loose fits. Now you can have the unique chambered sound & superior flow through your sidepipes.
NOTE: 2.5" core versions are quieter than 3" core versions.
*These can be made in different lengths as well - inquire.

Here's a link to the page where those are found,

Classic Chambered Exhaust Products Page (It's about 1/3 of the way down the page.)

Here is a link to their FAQ page which is where they explain their mufflers (well, sort of).

Classic Chambered Exhaust FAQ Page

If you're still planning on using that 4" pipe for the exhaust, then it would appear that one of the "Sidepipe Insert Mufflers" slipped inside would probably get the noise levels down a little bit without sacrificing much power and without losing that aggressive sound of a racing car.

Just a thought.

Oh, by the way, the company is in Milford, Michigan. I'm not sure if that is close to you there, but I thought I'd mention that in case it was.

Thanks shmoozoo - I'll look into it. I was going to make up a slide-in insert but I may just buy one of theirs if it fits a .060 wall 4" pipe.

I had a Honda 305 Superhawk in college with a megaphone exhaust. At the tip was something called a Snuf-or-Not, which was basically a perforated throttle valve. When closed it greatly reduced noise. When open it was virtually a straight pipe. I may build one like that on a larger scale.

To make up for unequal length intake runners, you could just make the longer runners slightly narrower and more restrictive, so that the end result is equal flow, but that would be time consuming, to say the least.

P.S. Your fabricating work is awesome.

American Thunder":wqb1elv4 said:
To make up for unequal length intake runners, you could just make the longer runners slightly narrower and more restrictive, so that the end result is equal flow, but that would be time consuming, to say the least.

P.S. Your fabricating work is awesome.

Edit: oops, I meant shorter runners.

We took the new champ car to its first show. My wife also entered the Willys and the race car. The race car won "The Most Radical Ride" award and the judges told us later the champ car would have won "Best Unfinished" award had it been entered instead of "display only".

Side Note: I usually don't enter car shows but my neighbor is the pastor of the church that sponsored this one and he asked me to come.
sr_049.jpg

Here is the buck I will use to build the nose piece. I had to modify the second last station to get it to transition into the Whippett grille shape I had originally planned to use, in case I ever want to retro-fit the Whippet shell onto the car.

sr_052_1.jpg

I cut up chunks of an extra pair of fenders from my '46 pickup push car to use for the basic shape of the nose:

sr_053_2.jpg

IS there a way that we at the Fordsix community could take up a collection of sorts and donate it so FTF can work on this thing full-time? :D

I check this sticky every couple days and its like a kid opening a Christmas present--just waiting to see whats done next!! Its been a fun two years to watch---keep up the good work. Reminds me of an old matinee style serial movie---"...tune in next week as...." D

Hey 56,
Thanks for the offer, but even if it were totally funded by "fans" I would not be able to move this project along more rapidly, as I usually have two or three projects going on simultaneously so progress on any one project moves at a snail's pace. As an example, I have to reassemble my '46 pickup truck after painting it, build a new race car motor for my bracket racer, restore my Logghe altered for Nostalgia racing and work with my son on his '48 Anglia. In addition, I'm looking to acquire two recent finds (a '40 Buick gangsta sedan straight 8 and an Olson / Grumman delivery truck for a 300 test bed / parts hauler, currently 292 Chevy powered) so I don't see the future holding any fast completion date on this champ car. But that's how I love to work - lots of balls in the air - it keeps my creative juices flowing and my mind active.

Let me suggest you guys make a donation to the local food bank for homeless or the charity of your choice instead in the name of Ford six fans everywhere.

Enjoy this Holiday Season all.

FTF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back