Alky/H2O injection install

kirkallen143

Famous Member
Well I finally got the alky/H2O injection installed this weekend and let me tell you, it works great.

At WOT no more denotation with 93 octane pump gas and 25* total timing. I tried 28* total timing and had a slight knock, so backed down to 25* total and the bronco has never run better.

I am using the cheap windshield washer fluid, w/ @ 25% methanol advertised. I plan to try the 50/50 mix of distilled water and denatured alcohol after this mixture runs out and see if I can up the timing some more. At WOT the AFR stayed at a constant 11.2:1 with @ 11 psi of boost, and before it would read 12.5:1 AFR with 93 pump gas and 10 psi of boost, and you could hear the denotation. This was running 25* total timing.

This was a DIY job and worth every penny, @ $175.00. Here's where I got the info from.

http://www.turbomirage.com/water.html

Kirk
ps. now all I have to do is find a way to keep the dipstick from blowing out.

kirkallen143":3dipuvqo said:

Advance Autoparts has duct tape on sale for a dollar! lol you have any pics of your setup. I have always wanted to try something liek this but never got around to it.

kirkallen143":2ctzou2d said:
now all I have to do is find a way to keep the dipstick from blowing out.

Just remove it!
Plug the dipstick "tube" with a removable cap that you can clamp.
Put the dipstick in the Bronco somewhere.

We have our's plugged. The dipstick is only in there when I'm checking the oil.
Will

Does10s":1wqtazmu said:
kirkallen143":1wqtazmu said:

Just remove it!

Will

I havent had any problems w/ dipsticks yet... just with blowing out oil pan gaskets :(

hasa68mustang":1xfov32k said:
kirkallen143":1xfov32k said:

Advance Autoparts has duct tape on sale for a dollar! lol you have any pics of your setup. I have always wanted to try something liek this but never got around to it.

:rolflmao: That's too funny, like my grandfather said, "...if it can't be fixed with duct tape or WD-40..."

Does10s":2rmqe1wd said:
kirkallen143":2rmqe1wd said:

Just remove it!

Will

Thanks Will, and good idea. So basically just clamp on a rubber vacuum plug, great. I am trying to fab up a connector on the twist in oil breather cap so as I can run a K&N style oil breather filter. I tried no pcv one time and the engine smoked too much for my liking.

I'll get a few pics for y'all, somebody borrowed our camera and we forgot who has it. I did keep all the components in one area behind the radiator core support, opposite side of the battery. Nice, neat and tidy.

Kirk

Kirk,
Here's another idea.
We're not using a PCV at all. I installed on of those Moroso breathers that attaches to the exhaust pipe. It pulls the pressure from the crankcase and puts it into the exhaust.
Now, I think that a tank between the VC and the exhaust would be a good idea. We have sucked oil into that tube and it does smoke out the tailpipe from time to time. So a inline tank would catch the oil but still provide the suction needed.
Here's a link.
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&part=MOR-25900&N=700+400105+115&autoview=sku

I'm pretty sure that they are not suppose to used in "pollution controlled vehicles" but in an old Bronco it should be fine!
A vacuum pump would be the best method, but they're frigin expensive!
Later,
Will

Does10s":1vmpg86c said:
I'm pretty sure that they are not suppose to used in "pollution controlled vehicles" but in an old Bronco it should be fine!
A vacuum pump would be the best method, but they're frigin expensive!
Later,
Will

A modified smog pump works wonders...

Stray thought - How about a hose clamped onto the dipstick tube, running to the intake upstream of the turbo, or wherever your pcv is?

If your blowing the dipstick out try this trick it worked for me, do not hook the PCV valve up to any place that can/will have pressure, hook it up in between the air filter and the turbo, that area has a slightly neg pressure, you have to remember if the PCV is hook up normal it will build pressure in your crank case that could equal or surpass your boost pressure

fast64ranchero":67q108fb said:
If your blowing the dipstick out try this trick it worked for me, do not hook the PCV valve up to any place that can/will have pressure, hook it up in between the air filter and the turbo, that area has a slightly neg pressure, you have to remember if the PCV is hook up normal it will build pressure in your crank case that could equal or surpass your boost pressure

Well, a properly functioning PCV valve works as a check valve and will prevent this.

But hooking it up pre-turbo is a good way to prevent all of these problems. That is likely the direction I will go with mine.

kirkallen143":1f74curb said:
Here are a few pics of the engine and alky/H2O injection as I promised:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24214129@N08/2312487118/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24214129@N08/2312489566/

Here what I did about the dipstick blowing out:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24214129@N08/2312491012/

Here some heat shields I made:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24214129@N08/2312492264/

Kirk

Browse the other pics and see the full size bronco I picked up for free (w/ a running 400) and my ugly fat a$$.

Kirk

Another thing I did with this install is take my white wire from the ignition module and hook it up to the hobbs switch...

That's right, a poor mans BTM!

It retards the timing @ 5* last time I checked. I have my total timing set at 25* as of now and the hobbs switch activates at 7psi. So now am I spraying meth/h2o and retarding the timing to @ 20* total under boost to keep it safe.

The reason really is that I installed a manual boost regulator inline to the wastegate actuator for more boost, instead of raising the timing, to take advantage of the meth/h2o injection. Been researching and it is better to raise the boost than raise the timing with alky injection. More timing and you are still succeptable to denotation.

And the reason for that, I am getting ready for the sand drags again this year and I am competing against a stroked 347 w/ nitrous (@ 500hp) and another nitrous 5.0 crate motor. Both are AOD trannys. Just because I won it last year out of elimination with a puny 200 inline six and a single T3 and 3.03. I think they might have me this year.

Kirk

I was running 25* total timing. When I turned my boost up to ~ 10 psi, the motor started bucking and running like crap under load.

I gave it a little more timing (by ear, I know... ) and it smoothed out markedly and pulls very well now. This was not really what I expected. I do have a little ping @ the very top, but nothing I am extremely worried about. Might add a little more water.

So I am curious to know how yours runs w/ that little advance under load.

Of course, my AFR could be totally off. I haven't gotten my JAW together yet.

I am in the process of finding a brass fitting for a power steering pump upgrade, so no motor runs times yet. Oh, I will let you know what happens.

Kirk

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 18psi is a rush. Even though I blew off most of my hose intake connections and my carb bonnet base gasket. Lots of denotation even at 20* total timing and meth injection.

15psi is fun too! Blew off carb bonnet base gasket, but no hoses this time and no denotation. Took three more carb bonnet base gaskets until I turned to boost down to 12psi. I use the thick gasket this time and boost will still try to push it out but it is still holding...for now.

So I am at 12psi, 50/50 meth injection and 20* total timing at WOT on 93 pump gas.

Kirk

Back