$50 paint job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe it or not, we're getting a warm spell up here this week, in the Northern Freezer! These pictures were taken on November 4, 2007, thanks to JackFish:

From November 4, 2007:

I did the Division Bar Glass runs with flocked material because I couldn't get the mylar units, after restoring the division bars:

Here's some pics from December 11, 2007 with the Mexican Tarp Garage taken down, and all the trim back on.

Huge Thanks to JackFish for the Pics. This year I'll get my own Camera.

Haha took me a while to find this but Hot Rod magazine did near this same thing and it looks fantastic I don't think they have the full article I couldn't find it but here are pictures with the descriptions. Can help a lot of people like me that need very specific details. And it's a falcon for some of you guys!

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/body ... to_01.html

I've decided to paint my car this way - we used to do simpler versions of this on restored tractors on the farm for winter projects. Never thought to use it on a car. It looked a little rougher than all the pictures I've seen so far, but we didn't thin it much and stopped sanding after 600grit. Also, I spent some time working for a loader manufacturer and we used a custom colour industrial Tremclad - basically the same stuff you can buy at Crappy Tire - it stood up well in underground mines.

Question:
I've heard that some of the custom paint guys layer their paint in different colours to get the final colour to really stand out. For example - to get a real kick-in-the-pants (POW!!!) deep red, they start with a couple of coats of bright yellow - apparently it adds depth??? Is this an urban legend or is it true? Is there some website or some guide out there that substantiates this and provides hints/tricks for colour combos or blending standard colours?

Some of those look really good-better than some sprayed on jobs I have seen over the years! I love the fact that do-it-youselfers still exist in the rawest form-that is what hotrodding is all about! These guys will always earn my respect on the street because of their efforts, not their checkbooks.

I totally agree. And what have you got to lose? Take your chances at Maaco, or spend $5k+. The first quote on a paint job I got was from a custom shop: A "vintage restoration" for $13,500. No thanks - I'd rather get EFI, turbocharge, aluminum head etc etc.

That thread I've referenced above describes a method of clear-coating and putting metallic flake in it to add depth to the colour. Not sure how it stands up, but I believe the clear coat he references is a marine grade so it should be pretty tough.

whats the best mineral spirit to use??? i am very curious,,, might do a hood to see.

rick

Tractor supply company has Valspar tractor and implement enamel and hardener. They also have primer. This is good and it if you use the hardener it dries fast and hard and has a very high gloss. I haven't done a car but some tractor parts and it works great. I use naptha instead of mineral spirits too.

http://www.tractorsupply.com[/url]

Frank,

Yes I tried this at the end of last year and as soon as it gets little around here I plan on finishing the job. I’m not that far from you. Maybe when I get done with mine I can show you.

First of all how much TIME and PATIENCE do you have?
I first tried it out on my hood inside. It took a lot of trial and error to get the mix right first, then just how much to put on at a time. I recommend you try first on a flat panel like the hood where you can keep it level. The paint won’t run as bad as it will on a vertical one.
Don’t use the high-density yellow rollers that Home Depot has they aren’t dense enough and you get to many bubbles. I find the white ones that Sears hardware has worked best for me.
One thing I did for the final three or four coats was to thin the paint more and wipe it on with a soft clean rag. This is how I put urethane on furniture that I’m finishing and it seems to work just as well here to. You avoid the bubbles but end up with streaks the polish out easier.
I did make one huge mistake at first. Don’t wipe down the area with a rag with mineral spirits to clean it before you paint. (rookie mistake, I learned the hard way)

I’ve told people that I was painting my car with a roller and that you would be surprised on how well it was coming out and the looks you get are great. You get some great responses. I just keep some pictures with me and when I show them they cant believe it.

Here is a link to some of the pics that I took of my hood. http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj90/falcon2656/

Did I mention about how much TIME it takes to get it to look good?

Gene

Rustoleum does not appear to be available in Australia - I'm wondering if Wattyl KillRust Would work?

It's labeled as Epoxy Enamel so it should be strong and flexible...

I think your Rust Olieum painted LX looks better than my 91 LX convertible in silver.

Did you have any problems with the mineral oil paint mix on the plastic nose?

Just did the centers of my American Racing wheels and sprayed it with my cheapo Harbor Freight gun so I wouldn't gum up my good guns. I am very happy with how it came out especially since it was cheap paint and equipment.

Since I have 2 kids to put through college, I thought the $3000 for a "professional" paint job would be best spent else where... So here is my roller paint job. I am probably closer to $200 but still a good deal.

Here is where I started from
P1010043.JPG

and here is where I currently am
P1010046.JPG

P1010048.JPG

P1010049.JPG

I still have a couple of coats to go and I am going to attempt to add pearl to the paint. I have tested rolling pearl on a spare fender I have and it looks pretty good.

Here is a link to the album for those who would like to see more pictures.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jl2odotcom/RollerPaintingThePony02?feat=directlink

What if it was sprayed on with a turbine spray system? I would think it would eliminate the roller marks and bubbles, and make the sanding a bit easier. Has anybody tried it?

I sprayed my Ranchero last Year. I used a Harbor Freight $20 gravity gun the mix I used was around 50/50 paint/spirits had run problems. A year later the Rustoleum has faded baddly on all the direct sun exposed surfaces and only slightly on the shady areas. I think it still looks better than 3 shades of primer and rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back