distributor and fuel pump

60tudor

I was at the yard yesterday looklng for a few things and I came across some parts for the falcon. I took a distributor and coil from an 84 ltd with a v6, and I took a fuel pump from a 4.9 truck engine. Im pretty sure I can wire up the distributor but will the big block pump work on my 144. It looks the same but I didnt think about it until I was already out of the yard. Thanks for the help

Darrell

I don't know but I would epect that they are different. There is a sticky on this forum showing how to swap levers on a Carter pump, maybe that will work for you. But I'm not sure its worth the effort for a stock JY pump.

I doubt that a '84 v6 distributor will work in a '60 144 i6, they are completely different engine designs (V versus Inline).

-ron

There is really no way that the V6 dizzy will work. Different length, different oil pump drive, and different seat diameter.

What WILL work is a TFI dizzy from a 2.3L with a transplanted reluctor from a 3.8 to get computer controlled ignition. But that's rather advanced.

http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38241

I also doubt that the fuel pump will work too.

Most junkyard fuel system parts I've ever gotten have been bad. The junkyards around here drain the fuel systems so all the rubber parts like diaphragms are usually dry-rotted.

Not too much of a big deal on the newer fuel-injected cars but on carburated cars with manual fuel pumps....

what did you get these for? I hope you didn't pay very much. Neither are expensive as rebuilt units. As for the distributor, they almost never need rebuilt, only adjusted/tuned.
I don't know the answer to fit, but my guess would be absolutely not; different engine, different year, in fact entirely different era. :shock:

I was confused about the tempo parts. I saw a couple at the yard but forgot about changing the ring in the distributor. If I get the 2.3 distributor can I take the reluctor from the 6 cylinder distributor?

60tudor":q8at514x said:
I was confused about the tempo parts. I saw a couple at the yard but forgot about changing the ring in the distributor. If I get the 2.3 distributor can I take the reluctor from the 6 cylinder distributor?

Yes. The link I provided has a good writeup about that very thing.

Back