Mill'd head Time Slip

fast64ranchero

Well, it's been some time sense I've posted in this forum, some of you may remember my build, stock head w/intake mill'd off, offset ground stroker crank, Manley rods and CP pistons, well last night I went to our local track Firebird Raceway, It was a street car night, the car pass tech inspection for running in the 14's, first pass I ran against my buddies drag car, I ended up killing my motor because I couldn't hear my own car over his str8 headers, 14.36 et @ 110.06 MPH not bad considering, so I went up and got my 110 mph stickers, next pass was better at 12.858 et @ 114.86, better but spinning the street tires through 2nd gear, third pass 12.877@ 116.29, now I'm thinking/wondering if I can go 120 mph in full street trim, so I raised the boost from 14 to 18lbs and added fuel (four jet sizes front and rear) next run the car explodes the tires all the way through 2nd gear, kicks sideways in 3rd and at about 1000 feet it just falls off, I look at the boost gauge, no boost, to the pits I go, found one off my plastic vacuum/pressure T fittings had broken of course it had to be the one that controls the fuel pressure reg., that pass the car went 12.676@ 116.35mph, next time up and the last run of the evening the car went 12.635@ 120.08MPH YES SIR OVER 120MPH on street tires, now if I can figure out how I'll post some pics.

YellowStone2008230.jpg

YellowStone2008233.jpg

YellowStone2008234.jpg

[/img]

The car has a TKO 5 speed, 8.8" rear end with 3.08 gears, the carb is a Comp Holley 450CFM used on tunnel rams, it really needs a Nascar 390 carb for better tuning, I think with drag Radials or true slicks the car would run 125mph at low 11's as is, just think how it'll run when I get the ported Alum head on it! :eek: it wheel dyno'd at 345hp and 390 ft lbs with 10 psi boost, it must be around 400hp at the wheels now with 18lbs, I did not build this car to drag race, it is a street car, set up more on the road race side

Hopefully it can stay together, and repeat , thats the ticket and I congratulate you on MOUNTING YOUR CARB the RIGHT WAY !!,And I would say it could use MORE carb a 660 center squirter makes a great blown carb ( I use 2 of them ) and with that setup would flat out fly, keep us posted

FalconSedanDelivery":yrmn2ckf said:
Hopefully it can stay together, and repeat , thats the ticket and I congratulate you on MOUNTING YOUR CARB the RIGHT WAY !!,And I would say it could use MORE carb a 660 center squirter makes a great blown carb ( I use 2 of them ) and with that setup would flat out fly, keep us posted

Well I drove it to the track and back home after the race/playing!! I mounted the carb the way I did to help with tuning, that way I had a little room for error on jetting... I do agree with you it needs more carb, and if I wasn't thinking about injecting it , I would buy a Nascar style 390, they flow close to 700 out of the box and have accel. pumps on both ends unlike the carb I'm using now, now that I have the timing gear failures figured out I think it will live, oh and by the way it was running on str8 pump gas :D

You may have posted them earlier but I missed them , I used the narrow set on my 250 but havent ran the motor yet , I would like to know you engine specs and turbo setup , if you could e-mail me the specsa or post here I would greatly appreciate , thanks Faron

1975 250 head, 1.75 and 1.5 valves, mill'd head with my own hand made intake, and exh 168cfm @ .5 intake 128 cfm @ .5 exh. flow numbers 1978 250 block, 3.718 bore (so I could get a good set of rings), crank offset ground to 4.125" from 3.91, 1.88" rod journals, Manley H beam rods for a Mitsubishi 4G turbo motor, CP custom dished pistons 8 to 1 comp with block decked to -005 block height I don't remember the comp height of the pistons off hand, Clay Smith Cam custom ground for me, but is now a stocked item with Mike, I think it's called a 292 grind, Terra Yellow rockers, 9.18" push rods, custom fab'd oil pan by myself, 1975 timing set to get the cam deg'd in correctly, Turbonetics turbo 62-1 P trim .81 A/R, 3" hand fab'd exhaust all the way out the drivers rear, billet steel flywheel 4 safety! Road Race TKO 550 3.27 first with a .82 OD, 8.8" rear end with 3.08 gears and a factory limited slip, I won't get into the suspension on the car as it has way to much stuff (93 Mustang GT swap with Steeda components)
all this in a 1978 Fairmont worth $500.

A week ago I would have sold the thing for $3500, now I know how hard it runs,, I think I'll keep it and put the Alum head on this winter

I was disappointed when you decided to sell it. Glad that you stuck it out. We need more properly built turbo SB 6's. With that long stroke engine of yours, what are your shift points? Also, can you share with us your timing chain issues, if they're different than your earlier posts?

Back