NOS on a 300

maverickhead

I've got a nitrous plate,adjustable from 50-250.I would probably not go over a 100 shot.I'm going to run an Offy C and an autolite 4100(the 1.08 one-475cfm).Besides pistons,are there any other weak points that need addressed;
should I use head studs instead of bolts
main studs instead of bolts
will it flow in the C intake ok or are the outer cylinders gonna get starved
I'm familiar with juice on a v8,just noticed not too many inlines "on the bottle".Don't have my heart set on running spray,but it's there for some fun if it'll work ok on the inliner.BTW,here's the build specs;
'75 300
chevy rockers
offy c
4100 autolite
hedman dual outlet header
duraspark
all this is thrown onto a 116k engine that runs fine.A total rebuild would also include a set of good pistons and a rebuilt/worked 240 head(later)
the truck-75 F100 2wd shortbed
3 speed manual
3.50 gears
Anyone care to guess what it'll run in the 1/8?1/4?Without juice,or with 100 shot.I don't really know what to expect.

im using an offy c,and 100 shot of nitrous.that manifold works great with nitrous.dont run too much timing,and you should be fine.

I have no idea what youll run at the track but Im definitely interested in what happens.

Grab a digi cam and take a video, please. :)

Good luck

It should be entertaining for sure...with the three on the tree. :LOL:
inline300":12idhzwq said:
I have no idea what youll run at the track but Im definitely interested in what happens.

Grab a digi cam and take a video, please. :)

Good luck

One thing to consider about NOS on a 300. HP is a product of torque and RPM:

HP = T * N / 5252

where N = RPM

If you add 100 HP to an engine ar 5000 RPM you're adding 105 foot lbs of torque; the same 100 HP added at 3000 rpm is 175 ft-lbs.

Torque is a product of BMEP and displacement so if you increase he torque of a given engine you necessarily must have increased its BMEP (Brake Mean Effective Pressure.)

Adding a 100 shot to a 300 is necessarily going to put more load on the engine than the same 100 shot would on a 302 meaning more potential for damage. On a 302 the increase in BMEP for a 100 shot is approximately 45%; on a 300 its more like 75%

Be sure your pistons are up to the task.

StrangeRanger":33dwkxuf said:
One thing to consider about NOS on a 300. HP is a product of torque and RPM:

HP = T * N / 5252

where N = RPM

If you add 100 HP to an engine ar 5000 RPM you're adding 105 foot lbs of torque; the same 100 HP added at 3000 rpm is 175 ft-lbs.

Torque is a product of BMEP and displacement so if you increase he torque of a given engine you necessarily must have increased its BMEP (Brake Mean Effective Pressure.)

Adding a 100 shot to a 300 is necessarily going to put more load on the engine than the same 100 shot would on a 302 meaning more potential for damage. On a 302 the increase in BMEP for a 100 shot is approximately 45%; on a 300 its more like 75%

Hmmm ... I think I see your point. You'd be adding fuel and oxidizer (the NO2) in a quantity that will add a given amount of energy per unit of time to the combustion process. If the engine is only turning 3000-4000 RPM you're effectively putting a denser charge into the engine than you would be using the same "shot" on the same engine turning 4000-6000 RPM. So it would be a bit like having a turbo with a higher boost setting.

Sort of.

Or something like that.

:)

By the way, I wouldn't count on seeing 100 more HP from the "100 shot" in this sort of application, but I'd sure expect to see more torque.

StrangeRanger":33dwkxuf said:
Be sure your pistons are up to the task.

Yeah, I think maybe forged pistons might be a pretty good idea with an engine like this.

Back