Mod-Log Turbo'd 250 Build

Here's some pictures of the wastegate modification. The turbo is off a diesel engine and it came with a .75" diameter wastegate. This seemed quite small for our application, so I bored it to 1.25" and am using a 1.5" exhaust valve for the new flap. Should flow plenty now!

Stock wastegate flap compared to 1.5" valve:

Stock wastegate in housing:

New wastegate port w/o valve:

Valve sitting in newly machined wastegate port:

Here's some pics of the wastegate. Pretty much done. We're waiting on a timing set for the motor. It should be in next week.

A Stock 250 intake valve closes everything up nicely. I machined it within
1-2 thousandths of the opening in the housing. I then heated up the housing
and dropped the valve head in place. Once everything cooled it was stuck in
there pretty good. The punch marks are just added safety.

:eek: wow that things going to fly! great work man. so are you going to use this turbo or were you thinking of getting the holset HE351vgt?

I think we're sticking with this turbo for the 250. We already have the T3 flange welded onto the manifold. The HE351VGT has a different flange. I did pick up a pair of the HE351VGTs on eBay. Just got them tonight. See if I can get some pictures up.

Hey guys... Jake and I ran into a little problem reassembling this thing. It appears that during disassembly the "thrust plate" that resides under the larger timing gear was misplaced. I can't seem to locate this piece at any parts house - does anyone have one laying around we could buy off you?

Last edited:
bummer... I shouldn't have gotten rid of that extra engine... but didn't want to haul it to the new house... sorry, If you need me to run to pick-a-part, I can. I remember seeing a few complete sb sixes last time... will also check with Jenni's dad, he might have one...

I just ordered one tonight from NAPA. The part was $9.18. I figured that would be easier than digging through the snow for parts. Supposed to be here in two days.

Here are the latest pictures:

I think we will have to extend the wastegate rod and relocate the actuator to be under the compressor. As it is now, it looks like it will hit the fenderwell.

What is this going in?

Even with the late model Fox bodies fairly cavernous engine bays I would be worried about passenger side strut tower clearance.

But it does look really sexy.

It is going in a '68 Mustang. We measured the distance between the valve cover and shock tower to make sure the intake and carburetor would clear. If I remember correctly, we have about 3 inches to spare there. The trick is tucking the turbo in front of the fenderwell without running into the radiator.

I think we're good. I was just looking at this in the engine bay when I was down last weekend and with the battery relocated to the trunk the strut tower falls away very quickly and leaves room almost exactly where that actuator is. We'll have to see.

Last edited:
JGTurbo,
Looks good to me! It should clear the shock tower just fine!

I have to tell you.....I don't think I've ever seen a motor painted white before! Kinda cool!

Later,
Will

Does10s":aau8q1rk said:
JGTurbo,
I have to tell you.....I don't think I've ever seen a motor painted white before! Kinda cool!

Later,
Will
It makes sense, if paint has any effect whatsoever on engine temps, white would be the best color to choose. Black, and dark colours would be the worst.
I like it. 8)

I restored a 1979 Triumph Spitfire back in the late 80s and painted the engine white to match the body; looked spectacular. I used to clean it with oven cleaner.

This is tjnavyblue's engine, so he gets all the credit for the white paint. I have to admit I was skeptical after the intake was painted. But now that the rest of the engine matches, I think it looks great!

That motor and turbo look awesome! One thing kinda jumps out at me though. What about the alternator? Do you think that there would be any interference, otherwise the design is awesome and the white paint is very cool.

Back