Valve job for 200 6

Smittykid

I'm new to the forum. I have a question - I'm looking at a 1949 Jeep CJ2A with a Ford 200 6 in it. The owner says it may need a valve job down the road.(blows black smoke for about 10 min after warmup) How difficult is it to find valves for that engine? (assuming that is what it needs) I am no mechanic. So go easy on me . Thanks, Smitty

Smittykid":1ecrpcpe said:
I'm new to the forum. I have a question - I'm looking at a 1949 Jeep CJ2A with a Ford 200 6 in it. The owner says it may need a valve job down the road.(blows black smoke for about 10 min after warmup) How difficult is it to find valves for that engine? (assuming that is what it needs) I am no mechanic. So go easy on me . Thanks, Smitty

Very easy. The machine shop that does the work can get them for you or you can purchase yourself from an auto parts store or from classicinlines.com

Where are you located?

Smoke is usually from bad valve seals, or bad rings. If the engine runs fine otherwise I'd suspect that it is a problem with the valve seals. If it has any sort of miss or studder then I'd suspect a valve. You can change valve seals without any additional machine work. but if you need valves you will have to take the head off the engine and have the valve seats resurfaced and the valves themselves ground back to spec.

the only time you need new valves is if you burn through one, which will cause problems, most likely presented as a loss of power or a 'miss' to the engine.

Does this smoking situation clear up after the initial 10 minutes? I'm thinking that oil is leaking onto the backs of the valves and that's how long it takes for the valves to get hot enough to burn it all the way off, and I suspect Valve stem seals, not valves.

Parts are available at any parts store or engine machine shop.

-ron

Thanks! I am located in NW Pa. I am going to look at the Jeep with the Ford 6 Thursday. If everything else checks out, I may be asking all kinds of questions. Thanks again! Smitty

Smittykid":r625xks9 said:
Thanks! I am located in NW Pa. I am going to look at the Jeep with the Ford 6 Thursday. If everything else checks out, I may be asking all kinds of questions. Thanks again! Smitty

Just to be sure, how do you know it is a Ford inline 6 versus the 258 inline 6 typically used in Jeeps? My Jeep has the 258.

It's a 1949 Jeep CJ2A - so the AMC 258 wasn't available. This guy seems to know what he is talking about. Hopefully, I am going to look at the Jeep Thur. The guy lives about 2 hrs. from me. He said the 200 6 was in it when he bought it 10 yrs. ago. Again, I'm no mechanic. What distinguishing features should I look for to tell if it is in fact a Ford 200? I'll try & remember to take my digital camera. Thanks again, Smitty

Smittykid":q12tspjy said:
It's a 1949 Jeep CJ2A - so the AMC 258 wasn't available. This guy seems to know what he is talking about. Hopefully, I am going to look at the Jeep Thur. The guy lives about 2 hrs. from me. He said the 200 6 was in it when he bought it 10 yrs. ago. Again, I'm no mechanic. What distinguishing features should I look for to tell if it is in fact a Ford 200? I'll try & remember to take my digital camera. Thanks again, Smitty

The log head would be a dead give away. Would look something like this:

stock003_jpg.jpg
stock004_jpg.jpg

Thanks for the pics! Good looking car!. I've printed off a copy of your pic & will take it with me when I look at the Jeep. Thanks again - Smitty

I went and looked at that Jeep that was supposed to have a 200 6 in it. The engine looked nothing like the pics Vinny posted. I'm not sure it is even a Ford motor. I took two digital pics of it - how do I post them? The guy was going by what someone else told him. The only thing I saw stamped"Ford" was the alternator bracket. AS soon as someone clues me in on posting pics- I'll have them on the forum in a heartbeat. By the way, I didn't buy the Jeep. Thanks, Smitty

there is a sticky post in the eye candy section that details how to post pictures. Or email them to me and I'll post them.

-ron

Ron, I will check that out. I have emailed the pics to Vinnie, but I had to go thru his spam blocker first. If his don't show up, or I can't figure this out, I'll email them to you. Thanks a million! Smitty

Smittykid":37v2xhe5 said:
Ron, I will check that out. I have emailed the pics to Vinnie, but I had to go thru his spam blocker first. If his don't show up, or I can't figure this out, I'll email them to you. Thanks a million! Smitty

Smitty - I didn't get the pics. Did you send them to vinny@yourcousinvinny.com? If not, try again.

Someone likely put a late model AMC inline 6 into that Jeep. I can post pics of that engine as well if you like.

Why didn't you buy it?

Here are a couple of shots of the inline 6 out of my Jeep - 80 CJ5. Not close ups, but you get the idea:

P1010646.jpg

P1010647.jpg
P1010648.jpg

Well dialup users are going to hate me, as the pictures you sent were almost 2mb each.. but I uploaded them via my phone which doesn't have any image resizing software on it, yet, anybody got a suggestion for WM6.1? Oh ya, I don't know what it is. I can tell you that it is NOT a small six ford (144/170/200/250) I can tell you that it is not a 216/223/262, and I can also tell you that it is not a 240/300. I also know that it is not any of the Chebby sixes that I'm familiar with (230/250/292/235). It's not a slant6, nor is it any of the 232/258/4.0 family of sixes.

Here are links to the photos:

Can see distributor, and what looks like a remote oil filter, fuel pump is mounted down low on the rear of the block, right below 2 side side covers. You can also get a good view of 2 large hoses that are being plugged by lugnuts, which I find interesting, th emotor appears to be 'vintage' but the hoses suggest emission controls..
Passenger Side
Can see air cleaner, alternator, exhaust manifold, starter/starter solenoid (looks like GM type starter) homade motor mounts.
DriverSide

befuddled,
-ron

I've posted the pics on my Jeep forum and will ask what it is. Likely the original engine.

I shrunk the pics down and loaded on Photobucket. Here they are:
PC200024.jpg
PC200025.jpg

Back