How to install a 300 in a Mustang/ Falcon

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitrousnick

PARTS NEEDED

300 ford six
v8 transmission,c-4 with small bellhousing
250 flexplate,its 157 tooth its neutural balanced just like the 300's
240 passenger car oilpan, pick-up tube-came in 1965 to 1972 Ford Customs, Galaxy's etc.
clifford drag header for 300 in early mustang
radaitor inlet and outlet moved-waterpump inlet needs to be on pass side

I cut up my oil pan to make the sump deeper
I re-drilled the trans mount to move the engine back for more rad. clearance, not necessary though.

MOTOR MOUNTS

after I located the trans I bolted the engine to it and located the mounting locations for the mounts.
I located some v8 engine mounts for a mustang and bolted them into the car,then I got some rectangle channel and welded tabs on them so i could bolt them to the mounts on the car,marked the mount location and drilled the hole for the motor mount studs.

Some pics of engine mount, v8 frame mounts bolted to the car with
1 1/2x3in channel, I welded tabs to the channel so I didn't destroy the v8 frame mounts. pic off trans mount with holes re-drilled to get more clearance to the radiator.

2004004.jpg

2004007.jpg

2004006.jpg

2004009.jpg

2004010.jpg

mpic003.jpg

82F100":1myi9uga said:
Nick is that header still available by special order?

I dont know if the header is still available,I dont see it on the website.I have an older catalog from 91 with the drag headers in it.I have not seen the new catalog.If you want me to check a part number for one let me know.

82F100":1mdxng73 said:
Nick is that header still available by special order?

I can't answer that, but at least they do still list the shorty headers. Here is an image and a link.

53-0015%20F-300.jpg

53-0015 "6=8 HEADERS" Ford Truck Headers 1980-90 2wd & 4wd

The Clifford Web Site":1mdxng73 said:
Fittment: All 1980-90 Ford Trucks 240/300 cid 2wd & 4wd. Description: This is a shorty street rod header which includes the header gasket and street hookup kit. Average gains on a stock engine are 18-22% when bolting on this header. We have found great performance gains and a throaty muscle car sound when using 2 1/4" exhaust pipes and dual 3 chamber mufflers. The 3 chamber mufflers will reduce the resonation inside the cab. Want more power? Try using our X pipe (Part # 09-0250) and gain 6 to 10% more power!!!

I sure won't vouch for the accuracy of their possibly optimistic horsepower gains, but you can click on that link for more info.

I know I can probably get a new flywheel, but any ideas on where to get the oil pan and pick-up tube? Not many cars around here with those motors, seems most people just want to slap the biggest V8 that will fit between the fenders in.

I may end up doing this and putting a 300 in my '68 mustang being as the 200 is being rather rare here.

I also have a C4 that is currently bolted up to a 351, that should be fine behind a 300, right?

Lupin398":2v36yb0s said:
... I also have a C4 that is currently bolted up to a 351, that should be fine behind a 300, right?

Yes, if the 351 is a Windsor, Cleveland, or one of the relatively rare mid-70s 351M engines manufactured with the Windsor SBF V8 bellhousing pattern. Most "M"-series(#335-series) have the 370-429-460(#385-series) bellhousing pattern.

J.R.
SoCal

you just rechanged my mind about putting a 300 in my mavi, mavs and falcons are the same anyway. man thats cool :p :p :p 8)

hey i have a 96 300 and the 5 spd from our old truck that just sitts in our yard. can i fit the fulie engine in my 65 falcon>? im pretty shure the trans wont fit though, will it? :shock:

A bit of custom fitment like nitrousnick is doing and it can be made to work...it won't be a drop-in.

I know where a Falcon is sitting (if it's still there) and have wondered about doing that myself.

fastfalcon_19":osj0op4r said:
hey i have a 96 300 and the 5 spd from our old truck that just sitts in our yard. can i fit the fulie engine in my 65 falcon>? im pretty shure the trans wont fit though, will it? :shock:

My guess is that you'd run into some serious hood clearance issues. The EFI 4.9 engines are extremely tall.

And yeah, you would likely have trans tunnel clearance issues as well trying to shoehorn a truck transmission in there, but you can always cut out the trans tunnel and build a new one and hide it under the carpet.

The hood clearance problem is where I think you'd really have difficulties, though. The top of that EFI intake would likely be several inches above your hood line. That would require you to put a very large bulge on the top of your hood, or switch to a different form of induction.

Side draft Weber carbs (or throttle body injection units built to the same form factor) might work with a bit of sheet metal work to the passenger side shock tower [click HERE for an illustration], but with that option you've just trashed any hope you'd have of coming in at a reasonable budget.

:LOL:

dATA i HAVE SHOWS 490 LBS WITH CAST IRON MANIFOLDS, manual flywheel, dry.

satcl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back