How to install a 300 in a Mustang/ Falcon

Status
Not open for further replies.
In your mustang did you have any hood clearance problems? I am really insterested in performing this swap on my 67, but don't want to cut into either of my hoods and can't afford a new one yet.

Ba Mustang":38a8l3ll said:
In your mustang did you have any hood clearance problems? I am really insterested in performing this swap on my 67, but don't want to cut into either of my hoods and can't afford a new one yet.

If you get a 4bbl carb ,cut the choke horn off and dont run an air cleaner it should fit with a stock hood,but to do it right you need to modify the hood.

Nick, you make that sound sooooo easy. Its all those little details that would keep me from attempting this.

Do the headers hang that low or is that an optical illusion?

Ron

Are you able to use a I6 radiator or did you have to use a V8 one? What side is the lower radiator outlet on?

Will sidedraft 3x2 webers fit under a stock hood? or maybe a GT350 hood? Im trying to strikea deal on a 67' stang with no engine and trans, it wil be home to a 300.

Hi there Nick,,,,,,,I am a "newbie" to this stuff, and I just found this page a couple days ago. I had been thinking about trying this swap a couple years ago, but wasn't sure if the darn thing would fit in there! I am a subscriber to Auto Restorer magazine, and I wrote a letter to them seeking advice on this 300 swap. They said that they were told, and were sure that it could be done, but they didn't have any experience with this swap. In the letter, I'd asked them about motor mounts and they referred me to Clifford Performance, and said that they "made" motor mounts for this purpose. Soooooo,,,,,,,,,,,,I contacted Clifford Performance and asked them about it. They also assured me that this swap could be done and have the clearances needed to keep everything stock looking but said "they didn't make motor mounts for this purpose, but used "big block Ford" mounts instead. They said you mounted the mount on one side as it was supposed to be mounted, then turned the mount "upside down" when installing the mount on the other side. Sounded fairly easy to me, just a bolt-on. Now, since I was assured that I could put this 300 six into my 1965 Mustang, I started looking for a motor. I have since purchased a motor and wanted to "just set the motor into the motor compartment" as it is, to MAKE SURE that it would actually work, before starting the build on the motor. Once again I called Clifford Performance, this time to get information on "the actual Ford big block motor mounts" they use for this purpose (year, make, model, and engine size of the car for which to buy the mounts) since "big block" motor mounts come in various sizes and configurations. The only answer I could get was to "just buy Ford big block motor mounts" which left me in "limbo" again. Have you ever heard of a big block ford motor mount that would work for this purpose? If there is a mount that would "at least" practically bolt in,,,,,,,,,,I would rather "buy" this mount to start with if it means less modifications have to be made to it. If you don't have any idea of what I am talking about when I asked this question, I would appreciate it very much if you would tell me the type of Mustang V/8 motor mount that you started with on THIS project that you completed. If I got just "any" V/8 motor mount, would the modifications be the same? I'm afraid that if I get one that doesn't quite look the same as yours,,,,,,,,,,,,,that I'll end up "screwing it up"! Thanks for any help you can give,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I think I need one of those "yellow books", that says "For Dummies" on the front of it!

In checking the 300 FAQ post there's a post in regards to using a Trans dapt engine crossmemeber for the FE motors (360-428) to install a 300 in an early truck.I wonder if they are referring to those mounts as being the BB mounts.

Thanks! I went back to the FAQ and read the article. It looked like he tried to post a pic, but it didn't show up, and I wish it had. It sounds to me like he is talking about a aftermarket transmission crossmember, of which I think would be "one piece" and would be used to mount the transmission to it. At Clifford, they told me to use Ford BB motor mounts to install the 300 Six engine, and said that you mount the passenger side as it was originally supposed to be mounted. The mount on the drivers side should be turned "upside down" as related to how it was originally supposed to be mounted. If they were talking about a "crossmember", it would only be one piece and therefor you could not mount one side "the orginal way", and the other side, "upside down". So, according to what he told me I am under the impression that he "was talking" about two separate motor mounts, a right side and a left side. Hey, I don't know for sure what he meant, I tried to get him to explain it better, but that was all I could get out of him. As before,,,,,,,appreciate any and all help I can get on this. Thanks

will this be the the same for a 72 maverick, would there maby be more rume under the hude the mavericks is rased in the middel. :unsure:

86' Check the thread about the turbo Maverick with a 300 for some pics. Probably a 3-4" cowl hood would provide enough clearance.

i'm saving up to buy a 1965 Falcon Sedan that comes with a c4 transmission. Today i went to the junk yard and found a running 300 that's in a 1970 econoline van. The engine looks good. If i pull it myself i can get the engine and the bell housing for $350.00. This seems like a good deal right ? Are these 1970's 300's good ? I plan on rebuilding it for drag racing.

My only concern is the transmission. I want a manual rachet shifter and right now the engine is linked to a manual tranny. If i sell the C4 transmission, what would be a good transmission for a street rod/ drag racer ?
The original tranny is in no way performance oriented right ? This seems crazy hard but i want to put a super charger on it :nod:

The C4 is a very good trans for performance use advantages are lightweight uses less HP to turn it. Can be built to handle lots of power. Stronger yet is a C6 lot more weight and uses much more HP to operate it, advantage it’s practically indestructible.

Both the c4 and c6 are indeed good transmissions but they're automatics :(

i want my rachet shifter ! the E40D is a heavy duty tranny like the C6 right ? Does that come in a manual version ? I'm under the impression those are good for drag racing but are those for Diesel rigs only ?

I hear the I300 likes manual shifters more so then automatic. Is this true ?

Ideally when i rebuild this 300, i want to get as much HP as i can from it so i'd need a transmission that can handle a lot of power and can be used for drag racing and street. Any suggestions ?

There are manual shift valve bodies for the C4 and the C6. The manually shifted C4 is virtually the standard Ford drag-race tranny.

The E4OD is pretty useless for your application. It is electronically controlled and requires a processor to run it. Because it's an overdrive tranny it is larger and heavier than the C-6 upon which it is based and with which it shares many components.

If you want a ratchet shifted sequential manual trans you are looking at BIG dollars. If you can live with a conventional H-pattern, look at a Ford toploader 4-speed or a Tremec TKO 5-speed.

The Econoline C4 that you are getting with the engine is very likely a pan-fill, short tailshaft early C4 that is not performance oriented and differs greatly from the later, more desireable case-fill transmissions which start off in low. It is worth next-to-nothing except to an Econoline restorer.

Um..Well I know a gentleman who has an old Doug Nash 4+1 in his 62 Ranchero (race only application) and it has a rachet shift set up on it. So it is doable except that particular ranchero has a 347 stroker and parts for the trans. aren't that easy to come by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back