Valve Cover Gaskets - Rubber vs Cork

james singleton

I need to replace my valve cover gasket and thought I would try and get a response as to "your" preference(s) as to whether you prefer Rubber or Cork??? Or is it basically just six, one-half a dozen, or another??? Also, if I remember correctly ( it has been awhile), you normally put gasket sealer/glue on the surface between the valve cover and the gasket, not between the gasket and the head; correct?? Thanks!

I used the sealant on both sides on a Cork gasket. I had the supposed hi-perf $80 valve cover gaskets on my 302 V8 before I swapped to a 200 CID I6 and the thing leaked like a garden slug. The donor engine was a fresh Ford Dealership rebuild of only 2,000 miles before it was rearended and it had rubber too. I changed to Cork. The tendency is to over-tighten them and then the stock valve cover begins to dimple and then the leaks start.

I used Permatex Orange whick has a silicone content that makes it easy to remove later. After a year, no leaks.

8) i prefer the rubber gaskets, and i glue them to the valve cover with solid bead of 3M weather strip glue. i usually leave the head side without sealer, and i avoid over torquing the bolts. the best way to do that is to use wing bolts to hold the valve covers down. they look great and you cant over tighten them.

Back