Small Six 215mm Clutch and Presure Plate info

Status
Not open for further replies.
More involved than initially thought. I just recieved the 215 conversion back from by machinest. Total cost of the work was $320.
This involved:
Removing .15 off the mount surface to achieve the proper depth for good clamp pressure
Counter bore and tap flywhee holes
Add dowell pins for proper alignment
Balance and resurface flywheel
Balance Pressure Plate

More work than just removing material and bolting it on.
My builder races a FAlcon and was excited about doing this midification since finding an adequete 8.5 3 finger clutch that would be effective behind a built 200 wasn't going to happen and the diaphram set up was the way to go.

I'll keep you all posted on the results.
Kevin

69.5Mav":2ozdm68q said:
Brand new clutches available here for the 8.5 clutch set up.

Perfection Clutch 1-800-258-8312, option 4

mu72163-1/napa<<<<<<< 63-68 falcon 170 ci L6

Talked to them today and they have the Kit in stock for around $230, dont know if thats Canadian dollars or US.

Will this kit fit a 61' falcon with a 170" and the 3 speed?

Skidonenko":1417pgvm said:
69.5Mav":1417pgvm said:
Brand new clutches available here for the 8.5 clutch set up.

Perfection Clutch 1-800-258-8312, option 4

mu72163-1/napa<<<<<<< 63-68 falcon 170 ci L6

Talked to them today and they have the Kit in stock for around $230, dont know if thats Canadian dollars or US.

Will this kit fit a 61' falcon with a 170" and the 3 speed?

Your 61 Falcon, if stock, should have the 8.5 flywheel; this should work.

I just finished installing a 93 S10 T5 in the Falcon. I love it!!!!!!
I used a Dag bell with the 8.5" recessed flywheel.
I made my own adapter.
86 Mercedes PP, I machined a small bevel to make sure it didn't rub inside the bell.
Jeep clutch, which according to Oreilly's is the same for 87 to 94 sunbird 4cyl.
74 Vega TO bearing machined down for the plate with clips from an early Ford that matched the fork.
202 bearing for the pilot bearing, matched the crankshaft and input shaft.
Tapped the PP bolt holes to 3/8".
Had a new driveshaft with 1310 ends. Chevy yoke and a simple joint in the rear.
Same starter as the auto.
Fabbed a new crossmember and cut and welded the ebrake bracket to it. (bracket cut from old crossmember)
This is an electric speedometer only setup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I will lower the front of the engine some to level it out. Also the Chevy T5 has a boss sticking down. As low as the Falcon sits, it will have to go!

The S10 V6 T5 combined with my tall tires and a 3:20 gear seem to work well together. 1st to 2nd shift is at 10 mph cruising or 20 mph @ 3000 rpm. 2300 rpm at 70 mph in 5th.

Thanks Rick and all who have contributed to this info.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go shift some gears. :D

I am about to perform the T5 upgrade on my 65 mustang 200... Instead of the Alfa Sach PP could we not use the 90's mustang 2.3 clutch kit which is also 8.5" ?
ie http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1133996,parttype,1993

It looks like it would be cheaper than the Alfa since the mustang clutch kit also includes the clutch disc.

There is a Sach clutch kit which I would assume is the same quality as the Alfa kit. That being said of the ones listed on the above link which is the quality?

Am I missing something here?

Stubby":2g99ci34 said:
Also the Chevy T5 has a boss sticking down. As low as the Falcon sits, it will have to go!
I cut that bottom "fin" off, too. Sawzall saws all.

Rick (wrench)

jlopes":3d61ui5x said:
I am about to perform the T5 upgrade on my 65 mustang 200... Instead of the Alfa Sach PP could we not use the 90's mustang 2.3 clutch kit which is also 8.5" ?
ie http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1133996,parttype,1993

It looks like it would be cheaper than the Alfa since the mustang clutch kit also includes the clutch disc.

There is a Sach clutch kit which I would assume is the same quality as the Alfa kit. That being said of the ones listed on the above link which is the quality?

Am I missing something here?
I tried the mustang 4cyl clutch and its a no go. It would need alot of machine work to fit the clutch disc. The overall diameter is perfect just the center doesn't fit. By the time you spend all the money on machine work its cheaper to buy the clutch kit from Modern Driveline.

When I took my flywheel to a local machine shop, along with resurfacing, taping 6 holes and taking some of the top surface off they were also recommending balancing the flywheel. Reading thru all the previous posts I only noticed one person mention balancing their flywheel. Is this a necessary procedure? Any and all imput on this subject would be appreciated.

Denny

Wouldn't hurt to have it balanced.

Make sure you balance the flywheel with the pressure plate as a unit.

Falcon-O-Tron":hirn1869 said:
Would it be possible to stand the PP off of the flywheel with 1/8" thick washers, instead of milling?

You're going the wrong way. The step on the flywheel has to be less than it was originally. The original step is around 1-inch. The milled step is 0.875, 0.125 or 1/8" less.

By installing washers, you are effectively making the step taller, not shorter.

So the milling would need to be done on the flywheel where the PP mounts? Would the milling be necessary since its only an 1/8" gap? The clutch disc would still grab the flywheel right?

If you don't mill the step, the pressure plate won't clamp down on the clutch disc enough; the clutch will chatter when releasing the pedal. Eventually the clutch will slip and fail prematurely.

The original height of the step on the Ford 8.5-inch flywheel is 1-inch. When resurfacing the flywheel, the step has to be milled the same amount that was taken off the flywheel surface. If you don't, the clutch will chatter. Ask me how I know.

On the Alfa Romeo flywheel, the step is only 0.875" (approximately). So in order to use the Alfa pressure plate on the Ford 8.5-inch, the step has to be at least the same height.

Mill the step to much, and the clutch won't release.

Hope this helps.

Ah, so it HAS been tried :unsure:
I called Performance Clutch and they have them (stock PP) but only in a kit.
Unfortunately, I need the 1-11/16" 10 spline for my 3.03 conversion.
They did hook me up with a number to D & W clutch which has a PP for the 8-1/2" dished FW for $60 but the guy believes it's the 3-finger and I'd imagine it's a reman also. I'm supposed to call back tomorrow.

Falcon-O-Tron":2xw7v7d7 said:
Ah, so it HAS been tried :unsure:

About 74,000 miles on my Alfa PP conversion, so far. ZERO problems.
Many have done this since (early 2004), most (all?) are very happy with the results.
Rick(wrench)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back