Hole in my log!

Falcongreaser

New to the site here, I have a 61 falcon 2d sadan. I have found a hole about the size of a nickle in my log, right under my carb! Seems to be where all my gas is going. Car seems to run ok though. Was wondering if any of u knew a good fix on this. I can weld, but have nvr welded cast iron before. Was wondering if welding is the only option to fill the hole.

Falcongreaser":3jjq5agx said:
New to the site here, I have a 61 falcon 2d sadan. I have found a hole about the size of a nickle in my log, right under my carb! Seems to be where all my gas is going. Car seems to run ok though. Was wondering if any of u knew a good fix on this. I can weld, but have nvr welded cast iron before. Was wondering if welding is the only option to fill the hole.

you said it was under your carb as in the bottom of the log? Could it possibly be dropping any gas onto the exhaust manifold?

Well its actully strait across from the e in firing order on the top of the log, just to the left side of the valve cover. At work atm, but will post a pic when I get home.

That sounds like a big problem, how is it running with a vacuum leak that massive? Id also be worried about that chunk being pulled into one of the valves and messing the head up real good. Had that happen with a screw once. :x

It looks to be in a thin part of the log, The car runs great, drove it today 70 for about 30mins no prob. could someone tell me how to find out if it is a lter dated head?

Dude, dont take this the wrong way but....there is no way you have a hole the size of a nickle and the car is running. Is it a hole you can put a pencil in? (Dont use your finger and dont ask ;)). I'm trying to figure where this "hole" is. Is it a plug, like a freeze plug, of some sort? Where be the picture my brother? ;) That would help millions!

Ron

well, a closer look has 2 holes, one on each end of the intake, looks to be some kinda vacume or something. I know nothing about these sixes, my first one. gonna try and post pics once i figure this out

I think you are referring to the casting holes for the intake log, you should have soft/freeze plugs in those. I don't think it would run at all if you didn't have plugs in them.

I meant to say there at the top on each end, right next to the valve cover, on both sides of the carb, on top of the log. One hole is dry as a bone, the other is leaking gas. Was wondering if any of u knew if my engine is missing something, such as a T vacume or something as someone has mentioneaction in post above. Any help would be great! Thnx

LaGrasta":1kw30y6m said:
those holes do not interfere with the internal dimensions at all as they are in between the runners.

+1 Yep, got a 'couple holes in my head' as well.:LOL: ..completely normal.
IIRC they're hook points for the ford specialized tool/engine hoist/boom thingamajig for pulling the engine.

ha what a battle for nothing! :roll: Well I got everything stripped off. Pulling the engine tonight, so I can paint her up sat. Gonna take a closer look n see where that gas is comming from. Also wondering if theres a place I can buy some rearend stuff from, shes wining like crazy. Thnx for the info

What kind of rear end stuff? haha.

And when I had a hole like that that actually WAS where it shouldn't be, I used RTV and the cardboard from the back of the RTV package. Then I drove it another 10,000~ miles like that!

Falcongreaser":14j3kza4 said:
One hole is dry as a bone, the other is leaking gas.

That right there would be a point of concern! Are you sure it's gas or is it oil coming from the valve cover? Most of us probably have the latter :roll: You could actually (someone stop me here if I'm wrong) thread a short bolt in the hole for appearance purposes? An allen head would look ok in there. Shoot, if someone asks, tell them that was for the nitrous phase you went through. Guaranteed, one of the folks you tell that to will go home and try it! ;) Good luck with your build!

Ron

I thought it was oil at first, but it does smell like gas. Im not sure about the rear stuff I would need, as I have never worked on one before. I would think changing some gears in there would stop the whining?

Parts for these rears are hard to come by. I have a good spare in my shed so when the current one lets go I can swap. Now if a deal on an 8" pops up the one in the shed will go to e-bay AFTER being offered here. It has the 2.83 gear set so its not that desirable.

Ron

Back