AutoX project

Mustang Boy

well as some of you guys from way back when might remember i had a 66 mustang with a 200 in it that got totaled. well i kept the car all this time and currently have the money to do something with the motor. well my plans are to get an SN95(94-98) mustang, preferably convertible because my mom wants to drive it around before i tear it apart, and drop the 200 in it after i rebuild it again with MANY parts from ClassicInlines.

so far i have a list in my head of everything i want/need for the motor rebuild and the parts im going to need for the swap.

so far my list is this.
engine:
Forged .030 over dished pistons
shot peened rods
stock crank
Aluminum race prepped head
ITB Intake(once it comes out)
custom ground cam
custom turbo header
T3/T4 header
Y-pipe after the header to dual side exit exhaust with shotgun style mufflers
ARP Bolts, studs, etc. for the engine
DUI distributor for EFI engines

drivetrain:
already have a T5 from a fox that was used in the 66 and is still in there.
cable clutch conversion to the 2.77 3spd bellhousing
have the driveshaft either lengthened of shortened
IRS from a 99-04 Cobra
4.30 gears(already have and will be going into my 94 for a short time)
Tubular K-member for a 5.0(from what i hear it can be easily modified for a 200)
custom transcrossmember

Suspension:
i dont know alot about suspension so i will have to do alot more research on which brands are the best for handling but this is an idea
Tubular control arms up front
better bushings for the IRS out back
Coil-overs all the way around

wheels and tires:
17x9 and 17x10.5 Chrome Cobra R wheels
i know the tires i want but cant remember the brand but i know where to find the info just have to do alot of searching through old threads on another site

Appearance:
Cobra front bumper
Cobra R hood
Roush side skirts for side exhaust(with the corresponding tips)
Steeda wing with carbonfiber winglets
DARK blue with black stripes paint job(reminiscent of the 64.5-66 shelby because this is how i wanted to paint my 66)
smoked headlights and taillights

so what do you guys think?

as of right now all i have is the 200 and the T5 lol. still shopping for a 94-98 vert project car that is cheap but in the meantime i plan to start acquiring the parts for the motor build

and yes i know im missing a few things here and there in my lists but my brain is tired and has forgotten my entire list right now

Mustang Boy":2z6lczlf said:
well as some of you guys from way back when might remember i had a 66 mustang with a 200 in it that got totaled. well i kept the car all this time and currently have the money to do something with the motor. well my plans are to get an SN95(94-98) mustang, preferably convertible because my mom wants to drive it around before i tear it apart, and drop the 200 in it after i rebuild it again with MANY parts from ClassicInlines.

so far i have a list in my head of everything i want/need for the motor rebuild and the parts im going to need for the swap.

so far my list is this.
engine:
Forged .030 over dished pistons
shot peened rods
stock crank
Aluminum race prepped head
ITB Intake(once it comes out)
custom ground cam
custom turbo header
T3/T4 header
Y-pipe after the header to dual side exit exhaust with shotgun style mufflers
ARP Bolts, studs, etc. for the engine
DUI distributor for EFI engines

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING...Sit down and read the rules, have a bite and a drink, then reread the rules til you almost have it memorized and then go to forums like http://sccaforums.com/default.aspx and ask questions.

What mods you do will put you in different classes. Depending on the mods you might accidently wind up running against BMW's, Porche's, and Vette's.

Also most SCCA groups have weekend events to run Autocross. Here in Indianapolis I think its twice a month Sunday morning in the parking lot of the old Bush Stadium at 16th and Stadium drive.

My car was being setup to run a local event called Winged Warriors but its not going to make this year because I got laid off. Winged Warriors follows American Iron rules for the most part. I could still run SCCA but class may change.

drivetrain:
already have a T5 from a fox that was used in the 66 and is still in there.
cable clutch conversion to the 2.77 3spd bellhousing
have the driveshaft either lengthened of shortened
IRS from a 99-04 Cobra
4.30 gears(already have and will be going into my 94 for a short time)
Tubular K-member for a 5.0(from what i hear it can be easily modified for a 200)
custom transcrossmember

What is your intended max rpm? If you run a hydraulic cam and anti pump up lifters your still looking max around 6000rpm. You can go solid lifters to go higher rpm but I am wary of the factory connecting rods, you would need to run some aftermarket forged rods to go 7000-7500rpm. When I priced them it was going to run about $1200 for a set.

I would try some 3.73 or 3.90 gears first. IMHO with 4.30's your going to accelerate like a rocket out of the corner but rowing the gears alot more from building rpm rapidly. I would find something that lets you accelerate quickly but leave it in 2nd most of the time. I was going to run 3.73 gears in mine but had to trade my gears and 5 lug axles for a SN95 3.27 rear when mine was inspected and was bad.

Suspension:
i dont know alot about suspension so i will have to do alot more research on which brands are the best for handling but this is an idea
Tubular control arms up front
better bushings for the IRS out back
Coil-overs all the way around

For suspension parts for a SN95 cornering machine IMHO its going to be Maximum Motorsports or Steeda. Griggs makes good stuff but IMHO its overpriced. I think Maximum Motorsports prices are very good to high but reasonable depending on the part. Steeda has good stuff and good prices but MM parts have the better reputation.

As for tubular control arms again check what the class rules are.

Same with coil overs, see what class rules are but I too want to run coilovers, they make a lot of difference on a Fox or SN95 Mustang.

Late model GT bars would be good for front and rear. That would give you 1.18" bar front and .95" bar rear. SN95 cars have bigger bars and softer springs. Cobra bar is slightly bigger but have been known to snap in the middle.

The IRS rear is very nice if you can get one cheap. Otherwise your looking at $1600 for one from someplace like MPS auto parts. For less than that you can install a Panhard bar and Torque arm setup that will still give you slot car like handling for less money.

wheels and tires:
17x9 and 17x10.5 Chrome Cobra R wheels
i know the tires i want but cant remember the brand but i know where to find the info just have to do alot of searching through old threads on another site

IMHO I would just go 17x10 on all four corners. I know on the Foxes some of the guys are running P275/40-17's on all four corners. I think you can run that or larger on the SN95.

I have not seen any mention of a important part of Autocross...brakes. A good upgrade if you get 94-98 is to get the 99-04 PBR 4 piston caliper upgrade for the front. http://www.mpsautosalvage.com/sunshop/i ... tail&p=670

Appearance:
Cobra front bumper
Cobra R hood
Roush side skirts for side exhaust(with the corresponding tips)
Steeda wing with carbonfiber winglets
DARK blue with black stripes paint job(reminiscent of the 64.5-66 shelby because this is how i wanted to paint my 66)
smoked headlights and taillights

Sounds like it will be pretty killer.

so what do you guys think?

as of right now all i have is the 200 and the T5 lol. still shopping for a 94-98 vert project car that is cheap but in the meantime i plan to start acquiring the parts for the motor build

and yes i know im missing a few things here and there in my lists but my brain is tired and has forgotten my entire list right now

Convertible will be a nice cruiser but it will be heavy and flexible.

Again you can ad sub frame rails and stiffeners but check what the class rules are.

I was going to do my Auto-X build on my 89 Mustang convertible but decided weight and flexible were my mortal enemies. I now have a different car that I am setting up and will be using the convertible for a fun daily driver.

I ran my 94 bent 8 back when it was new in stock class and was thinking of starting up again in my 02 neon. Very nice post didnt think I would see anything about it on this site though :D .

thanks for all the detailed info anlushac. i have read a good bit of the 300 page rule book online one day but got tired of reading it lol. i remember reading somewhere in it a few years ago where it had all cars classed and a list of parts that raised your class and by how much but i couldnt find that info in the new rule book and alot of it didnt make sense to me so ill have to go back and read it again

also about the brakes i have looked at some aftermarket brakes for my 94 for future mods like the wilwood 6 piston big brake kit which would be an incredible upgrade lol. that coupled with the stock cobra brakes on the IRS would make a pretty good braking car but i dont think i will need that much brake for the car so your 4 piston link might be a really good option

i have also thought about going with 17x10.5 all the way around and i know it can be done with a tubular k-member and a few other mods i just didnt know if i would need that much tire up front and i had decided on the 17x9 before i knew i could modify a tubular k-member for a 5.0 to fit.

and Axe you will see so many surprising posts on this site its not even funny. us inline6 guys do some crazy things with our motors which gets us flamed on other mustangforums like i have been a little after making this same thread on a mustangforum

Mustang Boy":pg547m65 said:
thanks for all the detailed info anlushac. i have read a good bit of the 300 page rule book online one day but got tired of reading it lol. i remember reading somewhere in it a few years ago where it had all cars classed and a list of parts that raised your class and by how much but i couldnt find that info in the new rule book and alot of it didnt make sense to me so ill have to go back and read it again

IIRC when I looked at building my Mustang for SCCA it seems like Subframe connectors are now legal, and any engine was legal as long as it was offered as original equipment in that model car. Tire size was limited to a maximum width but diamater was free.

also about the brakes i have looked at some aftermarket brakes for my 94 for future mods like the wilwood 6 piston big brake kit which would be an incredible upgrade lol. that coupled with the stock cobra brakes on the IRS would make a pretty good braking car but i dont think i will need that much brake for the car so your 4 piston link might be a really good option

With a SN95 another good and IMHO not too expensive brake option is the SN95 13" Cobra front brake kit, about $600 from MPS. You literally remove your old front calipers, remove old rotors, slide on new rotors, and bolt on new Cobra calipers for 13" rotor.

My Fox body Mustang now has a 96 Mustang GT 8.8 traction lock rear and is in process of getting 96 Mustang A-arms and SN95 front spindles. I fully intend to run the PBR 4 piston calipers on mine. A SN95 will be heavier than my Fox so even though I think the 4 piston calipers

i have also thought about going with 17x10.5 all the way around and i know it can be done with a tubular k-member and a few other mods i just didnt know if i would need that much tire up front and i had decided on the 17x9 before i knew i could modify a tubular k-member for a 5.0 to fit.

Have you conisdered going to 18" wheels and tires? I was at a swap meet several months ago and someoone was selling 18" 5 lug wheels that looked like Bullet clones with pretty good tires for $400. I didnt have money or I would have jumped on it.

and Axe you will see so many surprising posts on this site its not even funny. us inline6 guys do some crazy things with our motors which gets us flamed on other mustangforums like i have been a little after making this same thread on a mustangforum

Sounds like the "What are ya crazy? put a V8 in it" crowd was out in force.

Back when i had my 1980 hatchback Mustang with a 200/C4 and 14" Centerline clones I got exhaust put on it and got downpipe to glasspack muffler then split to dual tailpipes. It sounded very good and everyone assumed I had a V8 in it. I always got some pleasure out of the blank look when I said it was a inline six. And then came the 5 minute argument about how all Mustangs should be V8's only. My answer was I have done the Mustang with a very built up and powerful V8 route. I have also done multiple 2.3L turbo Mustangs (God those things handle beautifully), and now I am doing the inline six route.

Because I can and because its different.

I have actually considered doing what you want to do and was even looking at SN95's back in February when I can upon a Fox body Mustang I really wanted.

IMHO what would work really well would be basically a SN95 Mustang GT with brake upgrade and lowering springs and as much weight stripped out as possible. The SN95 will weigh more but its also considerably stiffer.

yes i believe subframe connectors are allowed and they will be going on. thats one thing i forgot from the list.

yea the cobra front brake upgrade might be a good choice. ill have to look into all my options when the time comes and i know how well it is braking with the stock components then ill know how much more brake i need.

i have thought about using an 18x11(buying an 18x10 and haveing it widened 1in) in the back and a 17x10.5 up front but i havnt fully decided yet.

and i know exactly what you mean with that stupid blank stare. i used to get it all the time with my 66. i would pull in somewhere and it had a decent lope to it and dual header with flowmasters and turndowns so it sounded great and people would come up and say thats a nice sounding 302 and i would say no and they would rattle off 351? nope, 289? nope and id say 200 inline 6 and they would TELL ME that it wasnt and id lift the hood and they would have this dumbfounded look that something so small sounded so amazing. the guys i hung out with at my weekly mustang meet loved my car because it was different and sounded great, they all would comment about it whenever anybody would talk about a 6cyl mustang.

also i found a 95 Mustang V6 5spd on craigslist for 700 with a blown clutch that im going to look at tonight and will probably buy which means im one step closer to having my autox car and until then i have a more fuel efficient stang to drive around lol.

of course theres no way i couldnt update frequently lol.

i am going to look at the car at 7pm and will probably be towing it back shortly after. it has a blown clutch so no driving it back but it turns out the seller is only a few miles away so it wont be that far for me to get towed back. i will of course show pictures of the car once i get it home and update this thread

Why can't he get it inspected?

Ohio has rules for Kit cars or DIY built cars. If the drivetrain is from a 66 Mustang it will have to pass the emission laws required for a 66 mustang. You must also list what vehicles parts were taken from to build the final product.

'68falconohio":3q07gclk said:
Why can't he get it inspected?

Ohio has rules for Kit cars or DIY built cars. If the drivetrain is from a 66 Mustang it will have to pass the emission laws required for a 66 mustang. You must also list what vehicles parts were taken from to build the final product.

some states have similar requirements but they say that the car has to pass inspection for whichever is newer the drivetrain of the shell.

i just bought a 95 Mustang V6 5spd with a bad throw-out bearing, possible motor mount, misfire, and a few more minor things but she was only $680 and before i talk anymore here are the pics

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w345 ... autox1.jpg
http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w345 ... autox2.jpg

and that is my 94 in the background of the second pic

and i dont know how to resize pics so click the links

thanks, it needs some work but nothing i cant handle and until im ready to do the swap ive got a DD that gets decent gas mileage lol

Looks very nice. Looks like it has polished 16" SN95 Pony wheels too. Price was definitely good.

I would have to pay almost twice that for a car thats damaged here.

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

yep it has the polished pony wheels for now. i just wish she had the center caps for them but its all good it doesnt have to look good right now

i think ive found the first thing im going to save up for this car, after fixing the problems it has of course lol.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store ... cts_id=370

or

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store ... cts_id=375

but i dont know what is the benefit of the off-set geometry front suspension so if there is any insights into the nature of it id be very happy to learn. also ill have to flip a coin to which shock option i want when it comes time to order the package

also the k-member will be modified to fit the I6

well small update. i wasnt able to put the clutch in this weekend because my brothers rear end went out in his truck so that took priority since its his DD and the 95 is just a project. i was able to hook up a scanner and read the CEL and found out that the cam sensor was bad and there is no egr flow. well i replaced the cam sensor and the misfire went away but it still has a rough idle which im pretty sure is a vacuum leak and since i have no egr flow im thinking it may be the vacuum line going to the egr valve so ill check that out this weekend. ive also got a lead on a cobra bumper that i can get for pretty cheap as long as the shipping is what he is estimating.

On a Fox body the revised suspension geometry means the A-arm bolts have been moved up about 1/4" and back about 3/4" to improve suspension geometry. The SN95 revised suspension IIRC is similar modifications but different dimensions.

cool ill be getting that one then for the better suspension geometry.

also the bumper sale fell through because the guy selling it didnt inform me that there were others who had asked first and he sold it to one of them but im still on the lookout for a good deal on any of the parts im looking for and i just got new headlights but they will be going on my 94 and the ones off my 94 will go on the 95 because the ones i got look better than the ones on my 94 lol.

i tried to swap the clutch today but i realised i didnt have the right sockets to pull the driveshaft so tomorrow i have to go get a 12point 12mm swivel socket so i can pull the driveshave to get the tranny out. i did fix the misfire though it turned out to be a bad cam sensor and i bought a new headlight switch yesterday which from looking at the wiring diagrams it appears to be the most likely cause for the headlights not turning on.

Back