AutoX project

have you thought of a more modern I6 for the more modern car. like the turbo I6 from an OZ falcon?

Not that our 200's aren't sweet motors when they are all done up, but those aussie turbo 6's scream. might cost more to get one imported and fit into a US chassis and deal with steering and brake boosters and what not.

yea i would love to have an OZ I6 but the money it would cost me to import one and custom do everything would be way too much imo.

IDk if you actually price it out vs building the 200 it costs about the same i'd imagine since either one will require fabrication to get everything to fit. Better yet can't the v6's in those be built up?? I don't know for sure cause i've never looked into it but it seems like alot of work to pull the motor out just to get to where the old motor was with way more money involved. I mean i know we're all about building sixes (trust me everyone at work gives me crap for mine) but it just seems like you could do a wicked junkyard turbo build on the v6 cheaper and with just as good if not better results *shrug*.

I think Mustang Boy would be in the same boat with a V6.

IIRC the Mustang 3.8L V6 is called the Essex V6 and it is notorious for blowing head gaskets and he would still have problem of sourcing parts for a V6 turbo build.

Saleen and some others sold supercharged V6's but they were never popular. Supercharger kits exist to bump power but again reliability on that 3.8L with a supercharger without a performance rebuild would be a timebomb.

If Mustang Boy can rebuild a 200 inline six with a CI aluminum head the sky's the limit on performance.

The only real advantage is he would not have to build custome motor mounts to drop the car in.

A Fox L6 K -member would bolt up but would not have revised suspension points available and would weigh about 45lbs.

yea the fox k-member wont have the revised suspension points that is why ill be going with the tubular one and since im already modifying it a little im gonna modify it to sit the engine as far back as possible which will balance the weight better

IIRC MM also sells tubular A-arms that move the wheel forward over 1 inch, maybe 1 3/8 inches.

Moving wheel forward should help with brake dive and help with weight distribution. I can only move Fox wheels 1 inch forward.

iirc wont control arms from an SN95 swap onto a fox body?

also the front suspension kit im looking at includes the control arms that move the wheel 1.5" forward

Mustang Boy":2s3a4ikw said:
iirc wont control arms from an SN95 swap onto a fox body?

also the front suspension kit im looking at includes the control arms that move the wheel 1.5" forward

Absolutely.

Which is why I have a set of 96 Mustang A-arms which are getting Poly bushings and with the early Fox narrow K-member it gives me same effect as the SVO suspension.

I also have 96 Mustang spindles which for $500 can be upgraded to Cobra 13" front rotors and calipers. :D

94-95 can use same caliper but you have to grind away some of the side of the spindle casting where the caliper sits for clearance.

good to know as i will probably be upgrading to cobra brakes all around to start with.

i am also looking into converting to manual brakes because im not sure where i would hook into the intake for vacuum for the booster and ive got a pretty strong leg lol

im also going to have to find a way to mount the stock powersteering pump to the 200 and find a V-belt pulley that will fit onto it that way i can keep the power steering

I don't know if its true but someone told me all the Ford power steering pumps use the same bolt pattern so you might see if a SN95 power steering pump will bolt up to the 200 L6 power steering bracket.

I will be switching to a SN95 GT rack and pinion. The SN95 racks have better road feel and are all higher effort. Needs a steering shaft adapter from MM to put SN95 rack in a Fox (More $$$). SN95 has triangular steering shaft on rack and Fox is square.

MM also sells the manual brake adapter but you should be able to pull vacuum from any place before the turbocharger inlet.

yea i noticed their manual brake conversions thats what got me thinking. i guess ill try the vacuum booster for awhile and if i dont like it ill convert to manual or maybe ill get a powersteering pump and master cylinder from a 4.6l mustang and convert to hydroboost brakes. also if the powersteering thing is true that would be awesome and all id have to do would be find a powersteering braket for a 200 and modify it to work with that big ol DUI distributor and ill be set after finding a V-belt pulley that fits it which also shouldnt be too incredibly hard. ill just go through advances computer at their store(it pays to be a former employee lol) and find a ford powersteering pump that uses a V-belt and get a pulley for it and slap it on to the powersteering pump that is stock on the 95, although the powersteering pump is mounted pretty low on the V6 so the lines may not fit with the pump up where the bracket for the 200 will put it. i guess i could source a couple lines from an early fox i bet they would work

well 2 weekends ago i pulled the tranny so i could do the clutch and found this when i got the transmission out from under the car

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w345 ... r/TOB1.jpg

i spread the pieces out so you could see them better, when i first got the tranny out only the very front part was crooked and it came right off with little effort then i started pulling on the other pieces and they came out too.

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w345 ... r/TOB2.jpg

here is all of the pieces on the ground. most of the bearings were long gone but there were still a couple laying in the grease from the TO bearing in the bottom of the bellhousing.

yea this weekend the tranny goes back in because i didnt have time to finish it 2 weekends ago before i went up to GA for the 4th. then ive got new plugs and wires for it, new headlight switch, and new headlights that will be going on it then i have to get the $300 to get a tag for it then ill have a DD with decent gas mileage for a change lol

Back