Not open for further replies.
The rear suspension is completed:
sr_057.jpg

The chassis is finish welded:
sr_056.jpg

Work continues on the body sections. The rear section is roughed in:
sr_055.jpg

sr_054.jpg

I like what I am seeing. I'm guessing that the lower edges of the rear body section will be contour cut to get it sitting down lower onto the frame once it's a bit more complete, but that for now it's easier to just build it with straight bottom edges to simply the fabrication process.

It looks like you have the front axle way out in front of the engine. That appears like it will give you a fairly even weight distribution front to rear, and also stretches out the wheelbase which could also improve the ride quality and also the straight-line stability at speed.

Nice.

:)

The nosepiece will set further forward and cover the front axle. I am going to put the tie rod behind the axle as soon as I figure out the steering arm geometry. The tail will set down lower on the frame and a belly pan in the rear will all but cover up my "halibrand quick change". I need to establish the hood line. Once that is done I can place the steering box and hook up the steering. Then the cockpit and fuel system. Then test drive - whoohoo.

I am in need of six exhaust valves of the following dimensions:
5.180 OAL
.345 tip length to top of square groove
1.44 head diameter
11/32 stem dia
44 degree seats
.080 margin

If you know of a larger valve head diameter that can be cut down I can do this. Any suggestions?

Goodness...i lost track of this project and just remembered it. You have come a long way, and its startin to get interesting! Cant wait to see whats next!!!
Matt

Looking good! Just once you need to slap some big honkin Hoosiers on it and travel to Knoxville, Iowa for their annual vintage dirt event. Everything there from soup to nuts. Propane powered midgets, Red Ram hemi powered cageless wire wheel sprinters, 302 gmc six powered track t-roadsters. If those don't get your heart pumpin, you better go to see the doctor.

Your double overhead cam Ford / Duesy secret race six would fit right in. On track pace entirely up to driver. Stand on it, or motor around the bottom at 50 mph. Either case will leave you grinning like a fool for days. Knoxville sprint car museum located on back stretch is a must see as well. Cammer Ford sprinter on display plus many more.

Keep up the good work!

Worken2much

worken2much":3dw6z8b9 said:
Stand on it, or motor around the bottom at 50 mph. Worken2much
For me motoring around the bottom would be standing on it as I have zero experience on dirt tracks.

Seriously, did somebody say 302 GMC track roadsters? Lemme at 'em!

I will put this event on my bucket list.

sr_59.jpg

I had my chassis man bend up the main hoop for the roll bar. 1.5/8 DOM x .134 wall.

Today I made the steering mounts. This crossmember will be mounted inside the frame rail and the dash wiring will be hidden inside it.
SteeringMount01.jpg

SteeringMount02.jpg

That is some awesome fabrication, I mostly ran through and looked at the pictures, but I'm assuming you did it all yourself. Amazing. should be alot of fun when its done!

I put this car on the back burner, so to speak, to finish up the '46 truck I plan to use as its tow vehicle, and also to finish up "the Last Logghe altered " roadster which I also got running recently. Now that those two projects are running and nearly complete I will resume my efforts on this project in the Spring. I recently installed a set of straight-cut timing gears which should give this engine a nice whirr - like an old centrifugal supercharger might sound - but I got the timing on the cam off so it has to come back apart to reset the cam timing. I also visited with noted sprint / champ / midget car restorer Josh Shaw of Cincinnati last week to pick his brain and get inspired by some of the restoration projects he is working on.

www.shawhotrods.com

I usually have several projects going on at once so hang with me as no one car progresses at record pace.

Josh let me squeeze into one of their customers restoration cars. By the way if you want a replica of this car they can entirely reproduce one for a little under...

...ONE MEEELION dollars.
IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

:unsure: It looks like a tight fit, bet that would be a fun ride :nod:

..ONE MEEELION dollars.
:rolflmao:

bubba22349":97h24jm5 said:
:unsure: It looks like a tight fit...

I'll say. The steering wheel is cut away so only 270 degrees of it remains. That is so you can clock the opening to get one leg in the footwall then move the wheel opening to allow the other leg to enter the footwell. But as Mr. Shaw says, recalling his very successful career as a driver of more modern sprint cars once you are in "I fit perfectly." That's my story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back