need a replacemnt for a motorcraft 1100 carb

az1966

The motorcraft 1100 carb I've got is basically shot and I need a replacement,,not looking for a pony one,,to much money..

thanks for any help/info

66 mustang
200 ci 6 popper
3 spd manual tranny
cali smog
pertronix ignitor
after market AC
Phoenix AZ

Whats shot? Wear items can be dealt with by a good carb shop as well as minor abuse. They are pretty simple carbs so there is not many things that could not be repaired by someone that knew what they were doing. Parts store carbs are pretty hit and miss for quality. From what I hear they are mostly miss now days.

Howdy AZ:

Since you have a '66 with Calif. Emmissions package that means you have an Autolite 1100 that has no SCV and can send a ported vacuum signal to your carb. Your 1100 is also down sized from 185 cfm to 150 cfm. The C/E option is also down on compression because of the 13 cc dish in the pistons. I don't recall how much, but at least a point.

So, your carb is somewhat rare. Your distributor will have both vacuum and centrifugal advance, which is good. What make your carb "shot"? A rebuild kit is about $25 and easy to install. About the only things that trashs an old 1100 in my mind is stripped threads, on either the gas connection or the top screws. Ocassionally you'll find one with a warpped fuel bowl, but anything else is easily dealt with.

Finding a replacement that is correct and a bolt-on is rare. Is the engineering tag still on your carb? Ford listed two for '66 C/E- for manual trans C6DF-C and for auto trans- C6OF-G. Some of the later come with a 1.2 venturi for a 185 cfm rating. The only other difference is an extra diaphram that works as a throttle damper. We love to find auto trans carbs for rebuilding as the throttle shafts are usually less worn. They work just fine with a manual trans.

The Holley #1940 that FoMoCo listeds as a Service Replacement for Autolite 1100 is a poor substitute. Only other option is upgrading to a Carter YF, but that will require adapting and modifying.

What do you think?

Adios, david

Back