Big Bell 200

BetsyBabe64

This weekend i'm going to buy a 1983 200 that came out of a Fairmont wagon or something. i talked the guy down to $200.00. He says it was rebuilt and has about 7500 miles on it. i plan on taking it apart one hundred percent and doing a complete over haul on it using everything classicinlines has to offer.

i would like to start looking for a transmission, i want a manual. i want something that is performance oriented. From my understanding, these engines can accept V8 transmissions with some modification. What are my options ? My dream one day is to have a rachet shifter but until then an H shift will do. Thanks in advance for any replies.

ps.

i want to do a triple carb set up, dual exhaust, aluminum head, the works. i want to utilize what classic inlines has to offer. i want a falcon that can be driven on the street as well as maybe having some fun on a drag strip ?

8) the bell housing pattern is 2/3 of a V8 pattern on that block. the upper two holes have been moved down and out, so you can use a V8 bell housing in modified form for any transmission you wish. check out this link for more information;

http://fordsix.com/V8Bell.php

BetsyBabe64":3u66yr5q said:
i want to do a triple carb set up, dual exhaust, aluminum head, the works.
umm... Why do a triple when you have the aluminum? the triple is for the log heads...

If I had the big bell 200 I'd just go with an AOD, it's a c4 with an over drive. But since you want a manual get a T56, 5th and 6th gear are over drives! It'll make the best crusier.

Remember,
Torque saves gas :)
HP saves time ;)

MPGmustang":62rmuks1 said:
BetsyBabe64":62rmuks1 said:
i want to do a triple carb set up, dual exhaust, aluminum head, the works.
umm... Why do a triple when you have the aluminum? the triple is for the log heads...

good point. if i were to go with the aluminum head i would probably use a small four barrel carb, like the small 4100 autolite or the 390 cfm holley.

If I had the big bell 200 I'd just go with an AOD, it's a c4 with an over drive.

8) actually it is an FMX with an overdrive.

Here are pictures of the engine. Click the thumbnails to enlarge.
Does this look like a winner ? The guy sent these to me, he say's it's either an 82` or an 83` but is pretty sure it's an 83`. $200.00 and it's 100 miles away. I'm trying to pick it up this weekend. This will be my first engine rebuild.

Pull all of those vacuum hoses off and desmog it, Please!

It should have the large volume log head; let us know what the casting code on it is.
Some people on the forum are looking for a large log head and since you aren't planning on using it, you could recoup some of your acquisition cost.
I don't remember if the later 200s went back to the forged connecting rod, maybe someone can chime in on that. You definitely want to use the forged rods if you rebuild it.

One idea that you may want to consider is to install the engine and run it while gathering the parts for the rebuild and upgrading. If it only has 7000 miles, it could still be runnable as-is.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Betsy,

From what I can see, that is not an '83 big bell - BB block code. Take a picture of the back of the block. I could tell you for sure. It looks like a dual pattern block that will take the 8 1/2" or 9" flywheel and clutch and their corresponding bellhousing. Most prefer the 9" for holding power. T5 adapters are made for these bellhousings, but a small block V8 bellhousing will not fit this block. Hard to tell with all the smog crap but it looks like you have the large octagon log which is the largest volume and one of the nicest heads. Good find, just not a big bell.

i got the engine today ! the guy was nice enough to drive it to me and drop it off for $50.00. All together $250.00. Not bad in my book.

I took off a lot of the junk, and took a look inside. Besides the water, it looks pretty good. Normal wear it looks like. After work i tore off all the silly emission stuff. Here are some thumb nails, click to enlarge.

Here is a pic of the carb.

Bug graveyard

Explorer":2glg13ct said:
Yep, 81 block,1345cc head.

So it's an 1981 200 big bell with a 3H crank huh ? Meaning i can hook just about any transmission i want, I.E V-8 transmissions yeah ?
i'm thinking i'm going to strip it down all the way and start rebuilding it. i still haven't decided on a transmission tho, i'm thinking about a T-56, thanks MPGmustang.

I really don't know enough to answer the big bell part. My thinking was the low mount starter using the reg SBF bell housing was what they were referring to.

Looks like a high mount starter to me.
th_100_0950.jpg

The block casting number gets you close but to know the true year of your engine you need to look for the actual casting date this will give you exact day that it was cast! The casting date for example will look like this "6M08". :unsure:

Explorer":2cwrrixs said:
JackFish":2cwrrixs said:
Looks like a high mount starter to me.
th_100_0950.jpg
That's my point. Am I correct that the big bell is the SBF low mount starter bell?

8) yes the big bell is a low mount starter, and the one in the picture is a high mount starter.

Doesn't the E0 head have 1420 cc log intake, or is it only the E1 head?

Even if your head only has a 1345cc log intake, that's still a good one to have.
Unfortunately, your engine cannot use a SBF bellhousing or AOD transmission, only a small bell C4 or 9-inch six bellhousing/clutch.

Your purchase was still a good one.

so it has a block code of E1BE-FA which is from 1975-1980, then it has an intake code of E0BE-BB which is from 1981-1983.
High mount starter with the 6 bolt bell.

i'm searching for my falcon handbook right now, i seem to have misplaced it.

Okay, found my book. So my block is from 1981 and the head is from 1980, but i couldn't find anywhere in my book that says what the code for B is, meaning what vehicle it came out of. I'm assuming it was a fairmont.

Shouldn't the head and block be of the same year ? Is this head special in any way ? i don't know if i should keep it or go with the aluminum head.

i want to possibly do an aluminum head with a 4 barrel carb, remote induction, header with Arvinode Dual Exhaust x pipe, run a generator, manual transmission, disk breaks and maybe maybe power steering. Good thing i have two jobs :shock:

The codes that Ford used were assigned based on the year they came out, E0 for 1980, E1 for 1981. If the design wasn't changed, the codes didn't change. You could have an E0 head on a 1983 200 engine. When the 200 was changed to a low mount starter, the casting code would have changed, probably to E2 since it was used exclusively in 82 vehicles, and late in 81 as a changeover (Ford's line of thinking).

Another example is the C4 transmission. Designed and equipped in 1964 vehicles, it was found in Ford vehicles into the 80's, but still designated as the C4.

As I stated previously, your E0 head is a good one to have since it would have one of the largest log intake volumes, 1345cc. If you want to go with a CI alloy head, sell the E0 to someone on the forum. A 7000 mile head, with minor cleanup and new seals, could be a bolt on.

Back