Dumb question on head replacement

lorwood

Sorry for the stupid question did a search been reading as much as possible but I guess I really need this dumbed down to fit inside my brain.
First the stats
68 200 block
Installing a street build D7 head from CI 2v conversion
Will compliment with a 32/36 carb and DUI ignition.

OK First question.

If I am understanding this correctly (doubtful) with non adjustable rockers and hydraulic lifters there really is no valve adjustment is this correct? If so before installing rockers should the number one cylinder be set to TDC or does this not matter?

Second
Is installing the DUI after the head install has been completed the proper sequence?

Again my apologies to the true gear heads here and as always thanks for sharing your expertise.
Ed

lorwood":32o385e4 said:
.....OK First question.
If I am understanding this correctly (doubtful) with non adjustable rockers and hydraulic lifters there really is no valve adjustment is this correct? If so before installing rockers should the number one cylinder be set to TDC or does this not matter?
Won't matter one bit.

lorwood":32o385e4 said:
Second
Is installing the DUI after the head install has been completed the proper sequence?

also won't matter which you do first.

Thanks! I have a fatal flaw in that once I understand something I find myself saying "It can't be that easy I must be misunderstanding the subject"

early ford fan":3k5a27fw said:
i assume that since it came from ci that it has been cut for the proper compression ratio?

Correct. Since its just a street build trying to stay close to the stock CR. Thanks

lorwood":308tdqyq said:
Second
Is installing the DUI after the head install has been completed the proper sequence?.......

It really doesn't matter all that much but if I installed the DUI first there is no doubt that I would somehow manage to drop the head on it..... :eek: :oops: :banghead:

I would put the engine at TDC before putting the head on. There isn't a better time to verify it exactly with a dial guage.

Lazy JW":15ag15nu said:
:nod: (y)
JackFish":15ag15nu said:
I would put the engine at TDC before putting the head on. There isn't a better time to verify it exactly with a dial guage.
Better that than another "I just put my head on how do get I tdc?" post. :rolflmao:

JackFish":2nqcb0r2 said:
Any tips on setting the dial gauge up? Does it bolt right on to the block or will I have to rig something up to hold it stead for an accurate reading? Thanks

early ford fan":2xw6xw3b said:
you can also bolt a piece of metal across the cylinder and use a feeler guage to find tdc.you will have to decide which guage.
Yup, that works too; this method can also be used as a piston stop to find TDC. I prefer the dial indicator but not everyone has them.
Joe

Back