Big Bell 200

Shouldn't the head and block be of the same year ? Is this head special in any way ?

The block casting number is from when part was engineered so it only gets you close to a range of possible years. To know the true year of your engine and head and any other casting you need to look for the actual casting date this will give you exact day that it was cast! The casting date's will look something like this "6M08" on what looks like a small tag cast into part. :nod:

BetsyBabe64":3femfatn said:
i couldn't find anywhere in my book that says what the code for B is

According to this 'B' is Bronco (EDIT: oops looks like if I'd read closer it's actually Fairmont in '81)
http://www.classicmustang.com/decoding_part_numbers.htm

And for a picture of the 'Big Bell', low mount starter 200 see page 3 of the FFPH, there is a picture of all three together; the high mount, low mount/BB, and 250 from the rear. The BB basically looks alot like the 250 except being a shorter block, with full flanges on either side of the block for BH mounting.
Good luck!

rocklord":3nylal39 said:
As I stated previously, your E0 head is a good one to have since it would have one of the largest log intake volumes, 1345cc. If you want to go with a CI alloy head, sell the E0 to someone on the forum. A 7000 mile head, with minor cleanup and new seals, could be a bolt on.

The only thing i don't like about this head (keep in mind, i'm silly and a newbie) is that the intake manifold is apart of the head, and the manifold has some emissions thing on top or something. Does this intake manifold limit my induction possibilities ? Can i have an adapter for a 4v carb or something and if so is it limited in anyway ? And whats up with that thing on top and in front, on the manifold ?? You can see it in these pictures. There is also a thing sticking out the block that's up front on top by the manifold, whats that thing ?

i'm use to my 170 and i'm a newbie. Thank You all for the replies, i love coming home from work and getting to read new things yay :rolflmao:

BetsyBabe64":2sqj8la4 said:
The only thing i don't like about this head (keep in mind, i'm silly and a newbie) is that the intake manifold is apart of the head, and the manifold has some emissions thing on top or something. Does this intake manifold limit my induction possibilities ? Can i have an adapter for a 4v carb or something and if so is it limited in anyway ? And whats up with that thing on top and in front, on the manifold ?? You can see it in these pictures. There is also a thing sticking out the block that's up front on top by the manifold, whats that thing ?

i'm use to my 170 and i'm a newbie. Thank You all for the replies, i love coming home from work and getting to read new things yay :rolflmao:

You are limited on your options with the E0 log head, but you're better off than those with an earlier head. 4V carb won't work with the head, but you can do a 2V carb either by adapter or machine for a direct mount. Mike at CI can help you out on either. Look here:

For Direct Mount: http://www.classicinlines.com/products.asp?cat=136

For Adapters: http://www.classicinlines.com/products.asp?cat=46

That thing that is in front and on top of the manifold is part of the emission system. Take it off and plug it, not needed.
The thing sticking out the block that's up front on top by the manifold I'm guessing is a coolant bypass and utilized by the emission system. It could be the hose that goes to the heater. Did your carb have a spacer under it with coolant lines attached? When dealing with these later engines you have hoses and vacuum lines going everywhere.

If you look on the side of the log intake beside the carb hole, you probably had an EGR valve mounted there. You can cap it off, or fill it in if you do a direct 2V mount.

if i got the head cleaned up a bit so it's totally a bolt on, how much could i sell it for ?

there's no way to do a triple carb with the manifold, is there ? Sorry for all the dumb questions, thanks everyone.

As everyone is saying, the Head is from the early 80's but the block itself is from the late 70's. I have a true Big bell with the low mount starter from 81. It has a block casting E1BB. The grommet in the front of the valve cover is for the pcv valve. These engines did not come with coolant spacers under the carbs this late in production. That stopped in the the mid 70's. The "thingy" in the manifold in the front is the vacuum ports for running your carb and fuel vap canister off of. You can definitely get rid of all that smog crap and go to simple straight vac hoses if you wish. I have a holley 2300 350cfm carb on adapter running my power plant and it has made a world of difference on my motor. DUI dizzy to give it the extra kick in the pants and a set of mikes dual outlet cermic coated headers to make her breathe. I had to modify my headers a little but with a high mount on your motor, you wont have any issues.

When is mike gonna come out with headers built especially for low mount starters?

Back