Starter Question

Explorer

What Ford vehicle came with the 3.8 V6? I need a starter for a 250ci and it's susposed to fit and be a little smaller.

I would check on some rangers ( I beleive), but the better bet would be mid 90's and up mustangs cause I'm pretty sure the starters were different on a fwd vs the rwd.

Thanks guy's. You know the parts store guy's, without a vehicle to look up in their computer they are lost.

Explorer":2vbc4di7 said:
What Ford vehicle came with the 3.8 V6? I need a starter for a 250ci and it's susposed to fit and be a little smaller.

My 'D6DE 250 has a SBF Bellhousing C5DA and 157T FW. The starter is from a 91 Mustang 5.0 aplication. AFAIK, any OEM - SBF PMGR "mini" starter should fit the 250, just be careful as early Manual and Automatic applications have two different starter gear/nose projection lengths. ( I have that info somewhere) .

HAVe FUn

5-1.jpg

5.jpg

Here's what I turnip ' d:

Ford starters #3124 and/or #3132. I needed the 3124 and paid @ $20 on E-Bay for used one.

"shared" SBF info from the net:

STARTER SBF

Assume you have a 157 tooth flywheel. Your BH should handle the 10.5" clutch but it's close. If you replaced the flywheel with the same number you must have already had a flywheel made for the 10.5". I don't think a 10" will fit the old 10" flywheel. Actually it might fit if the mount holes were drilled in the right place which they may not. What is the starter number that you are having the problem with? Seems like very early engines had a M.T. starter. At some point in time ford changed things and most manual trans take the auto trans style starter. Ford made the auto style standard for everything. My 65 Ranchero used the auto style. My 66 mustang 289 uses the auto style. My 5.0 engine uses also uses the auto style. A 3124 starter would be auto trans starter but fits most late engines with manual trans. A 3132 would be a M.T. starter.

Measure the distance from the mount face of the starter to the farthest protrusion of the starter gear. If it measures 3/4" it's an AT. If it measures 3/8" it's a MT. The MT has the shorter nose and the nose will usually hit the starter ring on the flywheel on more modern engines especially your 5.0. If that's what yours is doing time to swap starter.

It's just an engine I picked up for another Bronco project I don't even have yet. C9xx, manual tranny. Building a engine test stand and need a starter so figured I'd just get a smaller one while I was at it in case I put a header on if I finish the project. Engine appears to be in good shape, but want to start it up and check it out before I go to too much trouble.
powerband: That looks to be a starter mounted solenoid, correct? As in no starter relay needed?

Back