Going from a 200 to a 250?

indyman13

73 Ford Maverick with 200 and c4 automatic transmission. Want to keep it a six instead of the 302 route -- that's one of the reasons I'm a member of this site. I know it'll be a 250 to makes things simpler. I've had it close to 4 years now and am now wanting to make some changes.

So, what's the best years to look for and the low down scoop on any different parts or modifications that'll be needed (from a stock engine perspective first). I'll start thinking about the upgrades later.

http://mmb.maverick.to/attachment.php?a ... 1275678478

The Mav' 250/C4 setup was probably most popular. Not much is cheap and easy to find these days after the scrap steel prices of a few years ago but replacing the 200 in the Maverick with a 250 should be bolt-on stock parts - and you're cruising.

The 250 is a whole lot more grunt. Stock or modded' , the 250 is well matched to the later cars..

Have fuN

concider going with a aod instead of the c4.it will bolt to a 250.you will need a different bellhousing and torque converter to bolt your c4 to a 250.

It's kind of far from you, but...
My brother has a complete, running 250 he's taking out of a '73 Maverick 2-door right now.
(He's putting in a 351-stroker, T5 and narrowed 9". I know this because he got the engine and rear-end from me, they were originally destined for "my" Ranchero.)
I would rebuild it while it's out if it were me, but it honestly seems like it's still pretty tight. Maybe just a valve job and new gaskets/seals...
I'm sure he'd be willing to part with the engine, mounts, mount pads, etc...
Probably a couple hundred bucks for it and he'd put everything on a crate.
Shipping would be the biggest issue.
Unfortunately the C4 from it isn't available, it's already got a new home, and I know he's keeping the A/C compressor, but everything else under the hood is available (including carb, exhaust manifold, fuel pump, etc...), and it will bolt straight in from air cleaner to oil pan.

Just thought I would mention it. Let me know if you can't find something local, and I'll ask him.

Yep, I'm looking local first but your brothers setup would be ideal. Where's he located? Would be nice to have a "one source" location for all the parts. What would be even greater would be to find a hot little 250 that was built before someone decided to bump up to 8 cylinders. Did the A/C compressor mount up to the passenger side on the 250 like it does on my 200?

He's in Las Vegas, NV, just like me. My apologies for it not being in my signature...

He had a '72 Maverick that was way hot when we were teenagers/twenty-somethings, and his son (my nephew) came across this one a couple years ago, and knowing he wanted to build another one, he bought it for his Dad.
Dunno where the A/C compressor mounts, but I'm sure he could tell me. He won't need the mounts to go to the V8, but I know he is keeping the compressor, just because it's a currently closed system, so he's going to adapt the compressor to the 351, but he'll need new mounts to bolt it up I'm sure.
The C4 out of the Maverick is in my kid's "parts car" project, as well as the QuickSilver Shifter from my brother's original Maverick, but I know he took a video of the engine running before he pulled the tranny. I could get a copy and e-mail it if you want.
Again, it's probably too far to be feasible for you, but I thought I would throw it out there.
:)

BTW: He probably still has the "correct" C4 flywheel/flexplate for it as well, if you need it, just not the actual trans/torque-converter/bellhousing.

Back