duraspark 2 conversion.

early ford fan

i read both articles in the stickys.i have two questions.do i hook the resister wire to the coil or 12 volts?i know the control box gets 12 volts.i read several conversion articles.mustang steve says hook 12 volts to the coil.the other articles say reuse the resister wire.question 2 is the durasprk 2s have a red and a white hot wire.i know that you hook the red wire hot all the time and the white hot only at starting.my problem is that the polorized plug on mine swaps the wire color from red to white and white to red.so do i go by the color of the wires coming out of the box or the color of the leads?

I've read in two places too about the 12V or the 5-6V source to the coil for the swap. I did the swap a few years ago, but I've only put less than a 1K miles on my car after the swap. Anyway, I went with 12V and recently drove it 300 miles straight from Detroit to Pittsburgh without any issues. I've driven it a few times since and nothing bad has happened yet (knocking on wood).

I swapped in the parts from a '77 Granada and noticed that the reds and whites were crossed at the plug to the control unit too. I thought it was odd, but I hooked then up per the wire color to the control unit.

8) i just use the same fed wire to the new coil and the ignition box that fed the old coil and the points. if the coil comes with a ballast resistor then you need to install that as well.

Wire to the control module colors. I had one I wired last week and didn't notice the swapping of colors at that plug. Start, but no run. Then I noticed the plug, swapped wires and all is well. Yes, you need the resistor wire or a ballast resistor wired in. Running full 12v all the time will overheat the coil and shorten it's life considerabily.

What Explorer said!

Explorer":zlv0owgn said:
Wire to the control module colors. I had one I wired last week and didn't notice the swapping of colors at that plug. Start, but no run. Then I noticed the plug, swapped wires and all is well. Yes, you need the resistor wire or a ballast resistor wired in. Running full 12v all the time will overheat the coil and shorten it's life considerabily.

I converted last week also, I wired coil behind the resister and cut the pigtail from the module with the red and white wires and wired the red to 12v when on and white to 12v at start. Cranked up and hasn't let me down yet. I also wondered why the plug switched colors.

"I also wondered why the plug switched colors."

Bet the wiring harness engineer didn't talk to the control module engineer... ;)

Back