Home Built Tri-power

Not Impressed , Unless he runs a BIG , hood scoop he will have no room , especially on the front and rear carb, looks to me like a kid did it in his back yard , oh wait it was a kid , and it was his backyard , ive seen others do this and did a great job, But to Me I think it looks a bit too home made , but I do applaud his willingness to try

Seeing that the guy made the forward and aft mounts the same height as the original and if he uses a low profile air filter I do not think he will have any clearances issues. if he does it will be very minimal and a scoop would be needed, but it would be a small one in height. I think it would look awesome with a scoop, especially if it is off center to the right a little. it would give it that old school modified look from the actual era of the car. I am sure this is what a ton of gear heads did in the sixties. I even believe that David makes a reference to building your own in his falcon performance book. all in all i think the guy did a great job with the satisfaction of doing it him self.

Ya would think he would have done more smoothing on the inside. Looks like he left the threads on those flanges and the hole into the log did not look like it was a very smooth transition to the pipe.

Patrick is a member here (or was...haven't seen him about in a bit)...sounds like he's going a different direction. Check his 'cardomain' page under his picture, or you could search his old posts for more info...
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=63569

too bad he didn't start with a later big valve big port hardened valve head.imo he should have derusted the head before painting it.

The homemade setup isn't to be knocked. I did the same thing combining a lot of ideas that I pulled from this forum, and it's one solid car now. What's most impressive about Patrick's project is the pricetag on the whole thing. He built an engine for a fraction of what most of us pour into our projects.

airborne":36uyc4mj said:
The homemade setup isn't to be knocked. I did the same thing combining a lot of ideas that I pulled from this forum, and it's one solid car now. What's most impressive about Patrick's project is the pricetag on the whole thing. He built an engine for a fraction of what most of us pour into our projects.

Airborne,
I agree with you, i have four heads right now and i am going to try and build my own tri-power setup. I am also thinking about building my own headers.

first time i've been on here in a long time and i saw this, what a coincidince. :)

I built that setup about 2 years ago iirc, and as bad as it sounds the car has just become driveable about 2 months ago. still has no tag on it and im not driving it a lot so its not tuned in 100%, but its getting there.

The head was sent out to a local head shop to be hot tanked and rebuilt using 1.75" and 1.50 stainless valves from classicinlines shortly after the tri power was completed. guess i havent updated anything in a long time.

valvejo005.jpg

^ more recent pic

oh and all the transitions on the flanges were smoothed out with a dremel. this was the first motor i worked on ( was 17/18 when i built it), so i made my fair share of mistakes along the way.

btw, no hood clearance issues at all, and it was done in my garage. ;)

there was a write up on here, but it got lost in a crash. i need to get some new pics of the engine bay up, it looks better now.

Welcome back Patrick66 :D

I have been following you write-up because I am going to do the same thing "Home Built Tri-Power". I even tried to hit you up on the tamparacing site. For the clearance issues I decided to add a functional scoop.

Keep us posted on your progress and we love having pictures to :shock: at.

Once I start my build I will start a write up as well and of course with pictures.

Paulzox

Welcome back Patrick, I too have been inspired on your posts and i'm thinking of doing it my self too. whether a tri ITB or tri carb ur style.

the ITB would be using the offy, but the more I look into it the more complicated it seems computer wise and i'm an IT admin :unsure:

thanks guys, im gonna take some pics tommorow and advance the timing. i'm only at 7-8* btdc so i figure theres some room to play with it still.

BTW an injected 3x1 setup sounds like a lot of fun to me, you should go for it.

but yeah, ill make sure i get a more recent pic up soon.

Yellow_66

I believe he is running the stock fuel pump, i remember Patrick66 posting something about it.

I first stumbled upon Patrick's posts in 2009, and that year I began a project of my own. Pulling a lot of ideas from this forum and employing a whole lot of my own physics and mechanics experience, I now have a finished project. Even won the People's Choice Trophy at a car show! It was a long, tiresome process that had a lot of failures and mistakes along the way, but here she is: Widow Maker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93589044@N07/8510767858/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93589044@N07/8509660221/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93589044@N07/8509660243/in/photostream

Paulox,

Yes, Patrick did a good job; I wonder,Patrick what welding process/electrode/wire you used to get such a pretty weld.

I was going to put 4 1904s on a 73 flat log but decided they wouldn't all fit. I've run three singles on early round log and thought there was room for much improvem!ent== especially for all-out power.(( So I'm adding 2 Autolite 1.14 2 bbls. Its a little crude yet ( sorry,dont't know how to post pics) but just couldn't stand not trying something. Yes I have a hole in my Bobcat hood and will use a scoop. My homegrown shenannigans are just that-- oldschool tinkering make what you can't get and enjoy your hobby. A 250 in a lightweight makes a nasty little ride!

Everyone remember, David and Dennis and others have said--- we've only begun to realize the potential of these engines. I hope development goes on and on.

I admire you, Patrick, for stepping out

I admire you,too,FSD, for making something run so well that isn't supposed to.

Gary

Back