'67 200 with a C4, but which one?

TucsonHooligan

I pulled the 170 out of my 64 and am replacing it with a 200 out of a '67 Mustang. The 170 had a C4 mated up to it, and by grace of the fact that I did a filter swap on it, I know its its a later model, early seventies I think. Problem is, it doesn't have the same bolt pattern as the 200 motor. I want to run an automatic in this car, but I'm not sure what year C4 I need to buy that will match up with the '67. Anybody have any knowledge on this?

Thanks for the link, I found a listing of serial numbers and such, and it says a "PEB" C4 is what I need. Any suggestions on how to find one and make sure I'm getting the right one?

You should be able to use that late C4 over again just unbolt the bell housing and change it to one that will bolt to the 200.

Damn, I'm at work right now, but I think the starter is high. The motor is a '67, and for some reason (call me an idiot), I think the bell housing is part of the tranny and not removable. Did they make them that way or am I wrong on this?

67 would be the high mount starter. The C4 I have in the garage bolts from inside the bell housing, not outside like a manual tranny.

Ah! Ok. So all I should need is a new bell housing? Where do I score the proper one? Or just hit the junkyards? Anybody have one they'd part with?

Back