1980 FORD GRENADA 250

BetsyBabe64

Hi. I was just wondering if a 1980 Ford Grenada 250 and C4 are any good ? Someone is offering to sell them to me for $300.00. I'm tempted. If I can get them to lower the price maybe I'll do it.

I would get the whole car, you can use the suspension and get 5 lug wheels and front disk brakes. :D

POO ! Dooder called me back and sold the engine and tranny weeks ago. Bah I hate when people don't take down their CL ads !!! :nono:

I don't want this thread to be a complete waste, so I have two questions that have been bothering me for some time.

Question one :
In the performance hand book it talks about putting a 170 head on a 144, a 200 head on a 170 and a 250 head on a 200 for an increase in power. All these heads are interchangeable. WELL, i'm wondering.. Why don't people put a 250 aluminum head on their 200's :unsure:: Is it possible ?

Question two : Awhile ago I posted saying that I wanted an aluminum head with tri-flo. That idea was shot down and it was pretty much like " uuhhh .. Why the heck would you ever want to put 3 carbs on an AL head ? There's no point"
I didn't question that, I thought that maybe 3 carbs on an AL head wasn't good or something.
My question is: Why wouldn't that be good ? I was looking at CI picture galleries of AL heads and I saw a tri power set up !!!

Question one :
In the performance hand book it talks about putting a 170 head on a 144, a 200 head on a 170 and a 250 head on a 200 for an increase in power. All these heads are interchangeable. WELL, i'm wondering.. Why don't people put a 250 aluminum head on their 200's Is it possible ?

Yes it is possible! All you need to do is bolt it on also check and adjust the CC's and or with the pistions so you have the right compression that you want. :unsure:

Question two : Awhile ago I posted saying that I wanted an aluminum head with tri-flo. That idea was shot down and it was pretty much like " uuhhh .. Why the heck would you ever want to put 3 carbs on an AL head ? There's no point"
I didn't question that, I thought that maybe 3 carbs on an AL head wasn't good or something.
My question is: Why wouldn't that be good ? I was looking at CI picture galleries of AL heads and I saw a tri power set up !!

Nothing wrong with a 3 carb set up I happen to like them alot. Some don't want to spend the time getting the setup right I guess! :shock:

BetsyBabe64":cfaf6qat said:
Question one :
In the performance hand book it talks about putting a 170 head on a 144, a 200 head on a 170 and a 250 head on a 200 for an increase in power. All these heads are interchangeable. WELL, i'm wondering.. Why don't people put a 250 aluminum head on their 200's Is it possible ?
Yes It is possible, but the only alum head is mikes, and it can and will fit any ford I6

BetsyBabe64":cfaf6qat said:
Question two : . . . . My question is: Why wouldn't that be good ? I was looking at CI picture galleries of AL heads and I saw a tri power set up !!!
The down side with tri power carb is the tuning, it's a real pita to some to get even one at top notch, try three with all different settings to begin with, I have heard of running them all to warm up, then tune each to the center for max performance and then place them back to the outside locations, but then you'd might want to lean them out again to save eco... you can go back and forth tunning and never be super satisfied. hence the 4bbl is really handy with the CI head, 1 extra bbl for better fuel mixture and it's progressive 2nd'aries.

But in the end, it's what you think that count's, hence the reason your staying with a ford I6, to be different
Richard

It just dawned on me last night as I was falling asleep thinking about Falcons and six Cylinders that when I finally have the money to get my AL head, why not put a 250 head on my 200 block. But as you pointed out the only AL head is mikes. I just looked at the site and for some reason I could have sworn there were two AL heads, a 200 and a 250 one. :eek:opsie:

Gee whiz, once and for all, the 250 and the 200 have exactly the same head.
There is no difference. The 250 just has a taller deck height, mainly.
There is, however, a difference in log size from early to later heads.
I think the large log head was introduced in the 70's but I'm not sure exactly when.

The 250 heads have larger intake valves, I think. Plus the log is bigger area. It *should* flow more with all things being equal.

As for the tri-power on an AL head, I didn't read the thread, but for what I've read the majority of the HP increase from the AL head is due to its better design. The three carb set-up on a stock head it to get around the log intake manifold poor flow. As for the Al head you'd have to find out the HP difference is with a single 4-bbl versus the triple carbs. I bet the added cost and complexity for the three carb set-up isn't worth it (unless you want every last ounce of HP).

Back