OZ 250 XFLOW rad hoses

Since I pretty much am dealing with a 250 externally here will the upper hose for a 200 interchange with a 250? I have a stock radiator and am not sure on the outlet size of the 250 cars.

Also will a lower hose even come close to working with PS? I need a hose that will wrap behind the pump bracket and under (I am having to fab the bracket myself and the PS pump will be located fairly high....about even with the waterpump centerline)

my radiator is sitting on my porch and the motor is out again to do more cleaning up of the enginebay. I was planning on getting hoses lined out so I can order some to try out once the motor goes back in (maybe even for the last time?)

About four things to note, but basically, standard 1976- 1992 X-shell Falcons, Fairmonts, Fairlanes,LTD's ran the six cylinder 250 x-flow with power steering in two radiator sizes, and those parts can be gotten at the drop of a hat. I'll send them to you if you want.

In my opinion, the best person to talk to for a source is TUFF-ZC, who is our very own ZC-Cruiser from Aussie. He has a ballistic Fairlane which has been updated to X-flow, and he used losts of later XF bits. His Fabricated To Winwebsite is http://www.FTW.com.au, but he is also the site adminstrator for North Queensland Ford Club, where the roads are hot and the Fords are hotter. http://www.nqpfc.com/viewforum.php?f=18.

1.Early 200's in US cars were small diameter hose, they upgraded the lower and upper hose size on some applications since it was also in the Econoline, early Bronco, Mavericks, X and S shell Granadas (Maverick base or Fox body).

2. The X-flow alloy thermostat intake gooseneck is actually the same pattern and diameter as the later log 200/221/250 I-6 engines. Same part number. It is the large diameter hose, same as later 289/302.

3. The 9.38" tall 250 sits way higher than the 8.425" 221 or 7.803" 200, and there are therefore three different radiator hoses to chose from between short deck 144/170/200, medium deck 188/221 and tall deck 250. As the engine grew, the x, y z co-ordinates changed. In 1967 to 1971, there were three different deck heights in four years, and the upper raditor hose changed to suit.

4. Then the 1976 X-flow came along, it had its own special upper radiator hose, of which there where two...stock narrow brass radiator like the old non air condtioned round body Falcons and Mustangs, then the cross flow V8 spec radaitor for air conditionied/tow pack cars. Stock radiator was trash, but the auto/ air con and tow pack versions made the hose really long because the radiator was spaced out wide, and of the more modern cross flow design as used on the air condtioned small and big block V8's.

The 1976-1979 XC Falcon 3.3/4.1 part with stock, standard duty non a/c brass radiator upper hose, which should suit your Fairlane compact, as its the same radiator. 65 V8 alloy replacements are used in V8 Rangers and Explorers and round body V8 Falcons.

The A/C radiator should be a wide cross flow design, and it is the option on the 1976- 1992 air con cross flows, XC/XD/XE/XF for 4.1's with the tow pack. It's bascially the V8 302/351 Cleveland radiator used when the early Techumseh/York/SelectAir a/c compressor was used, but it suits the tall deck 3.3/4.1 engine block. The trick is just like the heavy duty Fox body radiator...the extra width for A/C radiators is taken on the US passenger side, and the upper raditor hose is about 4" longer on the heavy duty radotor compared to the standard duty. The US drivers side lower hose is usually the same size no matter what radiator is used.

There are part numbers around, and the top hose is really cheap, really plentifull, and is a high use item since lots of people used them as upgrades

well on the compact fairlane chassis there is no room for a wider downflow and unless I trim my frame rails and strut rod mounts I can't fit a crossflow radiator since the common core sizes are too tall.

So for an upper I might be ok with a stock fairlane upper hose if I go to a 200 t-stat housing?

Have you considered Cool-Flex as an option for your hose ? Sure would make fitting easier.

Thanks,
to use would have to fit in with a certian "look",
too bad there's not a lill planer lookin 1
seems like an easy product to use
would draw too much attention
in my app.

XFlow_Fairlane":yrztqdtr said:
well on the compact fairlane chassis there is no room for a wider downflow and unless I trim my frame rails and strut rod mounts I can't fit a crossflow radiator since the common core sizes are too tall.

So for an upper I might be ok with a stock fairlane upper hose if I go to a 200 t-stat housing?

The 1976 to 1979 Falcon XC 4.1 radiator hose is what you need. I'll have a look for it.

well the upper hose was a no go. it was for a housing with a angled outlet instead of horizontal....bends going all the wrong ways.

lower hose looks to be a winner (enought to spend the $20 on it at least)

it will end up being up against my PS pump bracket but I think as long it is not on a hard edge to rub a spot I will be ok.

so at least that is one item off the list....now to find someone to weld up my fuel rail to take care of the couple little pin holes left from when I MIG welded it up.....

XFlow_Fairlane":3i8twb1h said:
well I will be picking up some 74 250 falcon hoses frmo teh store on friday....will see what I end up with..

lol, didn't want to continue telling you that the thermo housing on the x-flow is clocked as well. :unsure:

That's why a specific 1974 US Ford 200/250 top hose is as much use to a cross flow head as propane bottle in a warehouse fire. :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume:

The Cleveland/Modified 335 Fords have a similar to X-flow radiator top hose, so try that on your cross flow!

The lowliest of them (the 351C 2v with 250 hp gross or the 1972 to 1974 found in the 72-73 Mustangs, Tornios) might have had a non cross flow radiator. Top hose is angled differently from xlow to non cross flow, and I couldn't figure out why you'd be lookin for a non cross flow I6 radator hose when the cross flow is specifically different on that top hose.Our log heads have a real short top hose in comparison, as the thermostat gooseneck is arranged to reduce the top hose length.

The F100 351M and 400 might be a good option as some of those had a quite tall and compact radiator arrangement, but you've gotta look around.'

The stock 1976-1979 Falcon or Aussie market F100 will have the right hose off the shelf. It takes but a few days for one to come from Aussie or NZ, they are common as french fries.

Or order a 'special' off the shelfer hot rod hose from Gates or Dayco like this item for the Aussie F100

'don't know if any help:
I had a post about adapting radiator hoses for U.S. 250 in an early roundbody. I used molded hoses for a 77 Granada 250 which had a X-Flow OEM with a higher capacity X-Flow Fox Body radiator .The Granada lower hose was molded for the 250 Pump but radiator side was too small (1-1/2?) for the 1-3/4 Aluminum aftermarket X-flow radiator. After wrestling and lubing it to no solution I used an Exhaust pipe stretcher, after using expander it was easily installed on the 5.0 radiator outlet.

Thumb:

Have Fun

My recomendations remain, as the narrow radiator or wide radiator versions from sedan Mustang or F100 with the Cleveland based engine have a top radiator hose that can be made to fit either.

Looking here, I'd suggest a latter wide thin radiator, and some gentle powerband mods. Surely the early Fairlane could fit a wider later radiator without too much effort?

Either way, use the recomendations above, and you won't be sorry.

I reassert powebands recomendations over expaning any too small diameter upper radiator hose. Go for it
XFlow_Fairlane
powerband":2uarpyml said:
'don't know if any help:
I had a post about adapting radiator hoses for U.S. 250 in an early roundbody. I used molded hoses for a 77 Granada 250 which had a X-Flow OEM with a higher capacity X-Flow Fox Body radiator .The Granada lower hose was molded for the 250 Pump but radiator side was too small (1-1/2?) for the 1-3/4 Aluminum aftermarket X-flow radiator. After wrestling and lubing it to no solution I used an Exhaust pipe stretcher, after using expander it was easily installed on the 5.0 radiator outlet.

Thumb:

Have Fun

verse
XFlow_Fairlane":2uarpyml said:

I have been using a cross flow (Brass / Copper) type radiator in my 63 Fairlane (first with a 351C, soon to be a 250 or 300) for many years it fits quite nice.

the problem with fitting a wider radiator is that the strut rod boxes stick up between the frame rails. I only have about 20" between them. I could cut them out and reduce the strength of the front end to fit a wider core in there (I could fit about 27" core then) there isn't enough height above them to run a standard crossflow radiator core (about 18" and most cores start at 20")

Tomorrow a 351C 2v 1972 upper hose will get in. looking at it I will have to cut it down to make it work but from the pics on the parts store sites it looks like it might get me pretty damn close.

I think this is the best picture I have showing it installed (motor is currently out again) the Aussie housing is flat instead of angled (for the US readers here) I was not aware of this difference until this thread.

well hopefully I can get this all worked out for when my extra crossflow ends up in some car.....

Yes, the X-flow housing is exactly the same as the large diameter out let top unit found on all 1971 200/250 tall deck engines. There was a minor case change with the XA in 1972, and it became 72 DA 8594 AB. The 1963 to 1983 200/3.3 US engine carried C8 DE 8594, the same part but with a smaller snout. They clocked the whole thing so its flat to lower the radiator hose with those tall deck engines, which were 9.38" rather than 7.803-7.808". And there is a petcock in the top bolt to let entrained air out after refilling the cooling system from October 1980 when the first Alloy Head came out.

I use one of these housing in my Mustang, fits fairly well, but the emissions gear hits one side of it, not major concerns.

The interchage between it and the stock US stuff is good enough to get you out of a bind.

As an example, last night, I blew my standard 1981 Mustang hose while I was out calibrating my Brantz meter about 12 miles out of Dunedin. :unsure: Had to grab a 2T Toyota 1770 cc OHV top hose, a short section of knurled trolley jack tube, and the good section of the old 1981 Mustang hose to the radiator.

This morning, I got the stock short non A/C 1976-1990 x-flow hose, GATES 05-0273 and the 1982-1992 A/C option version, GATES 05-0470. The a/c one fits the Mustang with a few dodgey kinks, and is better than running a Tojo part on my Ford.

I've got the hose you need, its the stock 1976 to 1990 non air conditioned 3.3/4.1 x-flow. This is the factory short , its is what you need for your Fairlane. It's listed as "Falcon Fairlane Cortina 6 cyl 1976-on". Give me an address to post it to you. It was really expensive...about 9.95 in US dollars ;)

The short x-flow hose GATES 05-0273 Falcon Fairlane Cortina 6 cyl 1976-on

The short x-flow hose verses the stock 1978-1983 Fox car A/C 3.3 item, similar, but not interchangeble to length.

The larger Aussie 72 DA 8594 AB Log 200 & 250, 2V 250 and 76-90 X-flow 3.3/4.1 unit in my 81 3.3 Mustang. It hits the emissions junction bracket, but is okay asside.

Comparison between both the Aussie 250/4.1 item and the US 3.3 item, 72 DA verses C8.
No difference asside form external diameter. Same thermostat, gasket, bolt spacing.

A trio of hoses after last nights (my time) quick repair. At the top, the old Toyota 2T Corona hose and mustang part showing the A/C 3.3 US Fox car profile. Put together under urgency at mid night. The next is the long x-flow A/C 3.3/4.1 hose, the right size for my Mustang, but a bit kinked out. Bottom is the short x-low non A/c hose, which didn't fit, wasn't long enough.

The A/C x-flow 1982-on Falcon hose fit is okay enough for my A/C Stang

Back