electric fan?

67chrrybucket

I am thinking about taking the electric fan and radiator out of a 1990 supercoupe that i got my supercharger from is there a good way to get that to work off an engine temp sensor or is it just better to put it on a switch and hook it up directly?

:unsure: Why not use the one that's on the Super Coupe? That should work great :nod:

that was the plan i was just trying to figure out a good way to utilize the supercoupe electric fan and radiator

There's a couple of ways to do it. Look at the thermostat outlet to see if you have a threaded port that you can put a sensor into. Later models had a thermostatically actuated vacuum switch that went into that location. If not, you could also get a universal kit that has a bulb that fits into the radiator between the top hose and radiator neck. Those are typically adjustable. Either way, you could run a switch in parallel to actuate the relay for the fan. I'm not sure how you'd use the current temp sensor as I believe it changes resistance with temp - right? Those sensors that are specifically for fans turn on at a preset temp and off at another.

I'm not sure if the radiator will fit without some modifications to the supports. I believe what Bubba was suggesting was to use the temp sensor off of the SuperCoupe

You don't really want to put the fan on a switch, the amperage that they draw could easily weld a switch shut, you want to set up a relay system where the relay can withstand enough amperage to not have to worry about it.
There are universal kits at most auto parts stores that have a temp sensor that fits in between the fins of the radiator, I would recommend getting one of those. They are usually fairly cheap, maybe $20 or so, I'll check and get an exact price and such when I head into work today

Just get a GM one wire fan switch (look them up inthe books as some come on REAL late like 230F.....some lower like 205F.....check the ford ones too....I would look at a 2.3L mustang application)

the GM switch is self grounding so you can just run a power lead to a relay and ground the coresponding ground to the GM switch. Put the fan wiring on the high current side of the relay.

I think the ford switches are a 2 wire and not a gounding type so you could pass your signal to the relay through the switch entirely.

To use the supercoupe radiator will take some fab work as the outlets will be in different places you the mounts are different.....I would maybe look at a ranger or explorer radiator.

I put it next to my oe radiator the outlets were in the same place basically i will just have to use those universal flex hoses

Back