Fuel pump block-off - does anyone make...

thesameguy

Famous Member
I am looking for a fuel pump cover for a '68 200 (which has a different shape than a '72 170, I can say) but it needs to be steel. I need to weld another piece of steel to it, or possibly weld some studs on. Or something. Anyway, I need a steel block off plate. :) All the ones I've found are aluminum.

look for a EFI 2.3L ford OHC motor in a ranger or fox. I know the earlier ones had them.

if you are making a mounting bracket from it why not just cut some plate and drill two holes?

Same as 1982-1987 EFI Falcon X-flow. Grab some steel plate, and cut to shape with 5/32 drill, then file, then weld you nice fuel pump hanger to it, and your dough is bread

XFlow_Fairlane":1dr5f77h said:
if you are making a mounting bracket from it why not just cut some plate and drill two holes?

I completely would, if I had the materials & tools to do it. ;) I was hoping for something ready-made that I could use as a base. ;)

xctasy":1dr5f77h said:
Grab some steel plate, and cut to shape with 5/32 drill, then file, then weld you nice fuel pump hanger to it, and your dough is bread

Actually, I am not hanging a pump from it. I want(ed) to mount a Ford EDIS coil pack there. After thinking about it, though, I'm not sure that it's a good spot. I'm worried that the weight from the coil pack and its bracket hanging "over" a gasket would result in the gasket failing in time.

I'm thinking now it would be better to use the spots where the factory coil bracket goes. Not sure yet. The fuel pump "flange" is such a great spot from a height/protrusion aspect! The factory bracket from an OHV 3.0l V6 fits about perfectly there! Bah. I'm also not sure if I should care to make this reproduce-able... maybe some other folks would be interested in converting to EDIS as I am, maybe they aren't!

Actually, I am not hanging a pump from it. I want(ed) to mount a Ford EDIS coil pack there. After thinking about it, though, I'm not sure that it's a good spot. I'm worried that the weight from the coil pack and its bracket hanging "over" a gasket would result in the gasket failing in time.

:unsure: I don't think you would need to worry about a gasket failing from the weight of the coil pack. Think about the force of the fuel pump operating up and down on the cam lobe continuously pushing against the gasket, I think it would be much less with the coil pack.

I really have no idea. :unsure::

The coil pack probably weighs 2-3 pounds, and would be hanging off to the side & have a fair amount of leverage. It really may not be a big deal at all, though. A friend of a friend is willing to cut & weld some metal for me, so I am going to go home & play with some cardboard. :D I wish there was somewhere else on the block to attach things to, but it seems they weren't bolting a lot of stuff to motors back in the '60s. ;) These days there's always a bung or something to bolt something new onto!

Check out the block off plate for a big block chevy. If i'm not mistaken it will fit.
You can get it in chrome plate or just plain steel finish. Bill

the BBC plate will kinda work...they are drilled for a 3/8" bolt instead of a 5/16" though

why not mount the coils to the shock tower?

what are your plans for firing them? using the FULL EDIS system??

I am currently going with a 36-1 wheel and GM truck coils and a ford cam sensor with my megasquirt setup.

all you need to make the mount is some steel and a hacksaw. you would be suprised how little it takes to support just that coil.

That gasket will hold up fine (most block off plates are at least 1/4" thick)

I am using Megajolt to control the coil pack - there is a thread over in the electrical section:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=67718

I don't want to mount the coil pack to the body since that would require substantially longer plug wires and leave them hanging in the breeze. Would be a helluva lot easier, though. ;)

How about using a standard block off plate and mounting coil pack to the two holes reserved for the PS pump bracket(if not using it)? Right above distributor and close to plug wires. Of course I may be looking at this entirely wrong.

I would love to mount there, but I think I am going to end up using a cam synchronizer from a later car so keep driving the oil pump, so that spot will be occupied.

I think I have a solution - it's posted over in the EDIS thread on the Electronics board.

Back