Swapping compressor housing and compatibilty.

First Fox

OK guys here is the scoop: One of the first things I bought when I started gathering parts for my turbo build was a rebuilt Garret turbocharger. I didn't really get how the turbo sizing worked yet, and I am still not 100% sure on the trim numbers and such, but I have a better understanding of the sizing now. Anyway, I bought what I thought would work well from a guy that seemed very knowledgeable and he that assured me it was "perfect for my application". Needless to say, he is a lying a$$hole.

After running the numbers it seems this thing is WAY too small. I know however that in order to get by and make it work for the time being, I can perhaps swap in a larger compressor housing and maybe upgrade the whole turbo down the road when I get bit by the bug.

Anyway, I am looking for some advice as far as the swapping of the compressor housing, is it an easily compatible part where any t-3 garret housing will work with a given compressor wheel, or is there more to it than that?

The specs are below. Don't laugh at it. It already knows it has no size to speak of and further mockery will only give it a self esteem problem.

It is a garret factory rebuilt unit and has never been run.

Garrett model number: TBO363 (T3 series turbo)
Compressor trim:50
Compressor housing A/R:42
Turbine housing A/R:48
HP Capabilities::275hp
Internal Wastegate: Yes
Watercooled: Yes
Wastegate setting:7 psi

looks like a volvo turbo. does it have a rectangular inlet or is it kinda round inside the bolt pattern?

really you are better off trying to sell it and find another.

that turbine housing is way small for a 200 and will need swapped out too (you can get a .82 or other housing to run with that shaft...a .63 might work but will about as small as you would want to go.)

you def need a larger compressor. you will need a wheel and housing that match. I have a .60 compressor off a ford 2.3L but the wheel is shot. You can have this housing bored out for a larger wheel from a Buick grand national and makes for a nice upgrade. it is a 2 bolt outlet on the compressor though. Any small shaft T4 cold side will swap but you will need the T4 backing plate also.

but for all the work and swapping of parts you will prob have more in it than different turbo and alot less headache. You might be able to find a turbo needing rebuilt and just swap the housings and shaft into your centersection.

Thanks for the reply man. The inlet is a standard T-3 size. I measured it and ordered a flange so I could build a j-pipe. The outlet is round with 4 bolts I believe.

So if I buy a worn out turbo from ebay with the compressor and turbine housings that I need, I can swap them onto my centersection but the wheels wont be compatible? If I'm not mistaken swapping wheels is not something I can do because it will disturb the balance correct?

It doesn't seem after taking it apart that there is anything to wear out in the housings themselves, does that mean that used housings are as good as new?

Thanks for your patience, I have had the housings off to measure and inspect things but not having swapped parts on one of these I am unsure what needs to be changed to upgrade.

as long as there was no contact the housings should ok....

Exhaust housings (T3 at least) all interchange on the stock housings. Stage II and Stage III housings need the correct shaft to go with them.

If you want I have a .48 exhaust housing that might have had a little contact damage (worn a little larger?) it will be slower to spool than that .42 but will flow more up top.....it will still spool fast. I have a .60 compressor but the wheel rubbed on it (wheel is shot) but I could let the pair go REAL cheap (I am just holding on for mockup purposes)

try over at theturboforums.com for some of the more tech related questions.

Back