Trying to get up to speed on EFI

ludwig

2K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
I just read this article in Hot Rod.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engi ... ystem_fix/

The EFI system installer seems to simplify the process. At least he has a real clear grasp of the fundamentals. It seems all so logical and straightforward. I'd like it to be clear to me. What manual or instruction book would give me the basic info on EFI systems on the model of those HP books about carburation or ignition and what all? I'd like to finally get it.

Early OBDI type systems were a pain. there was no eal time feedback so external loggers are required. This turns EFI tuning into pretty much carb tuning.

then came OBDII systems with realtime feedback but no logging ability. At least this allowed tuners to see what the ECU was seeing.

Now we have onboard datalogging so you can compare what the ECU is seeing to what it is doing (vs just inputs) in playback.

The software for megasquirt systems is nice. Java based and kinda open source. for $50 you can upgrade to a version that does auto-tuning for the A/F ratio with a push of a button. You still need to do your own timing maps but being able to change things in real time helps alot.

The most important thing is to be able to see what the ECU is seeing. I had a friend fighting a install of a MS system on his TPI 305 astro van. found out he had a bad ground on the temp sensor sending it to read subzero temps at all times (it ran a bit rich since it was stuck in warmup mode) Same goes for TPS and MAP readings. For $20 and some soldering work you can add a bluetooth setup to the MS and be able to log and display data to your phone.

Back