What piston, rod combo on your 300's with boost?

clintonvillian

Famous Member
What are you guys specifically running, pistons/rods?

How much boost do they see?

How many miles of boost have they seen?

Have there been any failures???

There aren't a big selection of aftermarket rods for these. If you don't plan to turn a lot of rpm's I'd just rework the stock rods.

I'm going to be running more boost then you plan in my engine and I'm going to run stock rods.

At the minimum go with some ARP rod bolts. Then if you want to go farther have the beams polished, shot peened and bushed for full floating piston pins.

I pretty much agree with Fordman, but would add that custom rods aren't really hard to get, so if you had some great pistons and were building a killer engine, I'd go that route.

I'm on stock rods, stock pistons, early 90's efi engine. Sees ~8 psi boost, got about 200 miles on it so far, no failures.

But I'm planning to put stock rods with ARP bolts and hyperutectic dish pistons in the engine I'm building. I don't plan for it to be high revving though, just a street engine. Planning to put north of 15 psi into that one. Of course its all just a block on an engine stand, and parts on the shelf right now.

I do have some short compression height forged wiesco pistons and 240 rods that would make a very nice higher compression 300, but since I like the boost and am running pump gas, I don't have plans to use those yet.

The Connecting Rods in a Turbo Charged Engine, have much less stress than you think. Because the Pistons always have some down ward pressure, during all 4 cycles. Compared to a N/A Engine, the push/pull the Piston does to the Rod during all 4 cycles. My opinion is , a Turbo 300 six. Can do fine on Prepped Stock Connecting Rods. Wouldnt trust Hyper/cast Pistons in a Turbo Engine(hear they can shatter like glass from too many spark knocks). Only Forged Pistons would let me sleep @ night.

Back