Jeep/AMC 4.0/232/258

CZLN6

2K+
VIP
Howdy All:

This is my first venture over here. I'm contemplating buying a mid '90s two door Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0 inline six and a 5 spd tranny for a "Towed" for my motor home, and for my next project vehicle. I've had several previous experiences with this engine family with a 258 in a Jeep Wagoneer and a 258 in a AMC Hornet hatchback. Both were incredibly reliable and tough engines with good power potiential with a 12 port head. I had neither the time, knowledge or money to explore options then, but I'm very tempted with the fuel injected 4.0 family.

My questions are- are there any Jeep/AMC/Chrysler lovers out there? Any body explore performance upgrades on the 4.0 engines yet?

Now stop and think about it. An American inline six with factory fuel injection and a 5 spd, with AC and power potential with it's 12 port head- and a steady supply of reasonably priced used vehicles on the GSA auction block. I'm getting all a twitter just thinking about it.

Adios, David

Sup compadre.

Alls I gotsta say is GO FOR IT!

My brother had a Jeep with a 258. Very light mods BUT that powerplant was bad azz and balzin' some crazy fire man aka "The Wild Thing". Awesome power for the mods it had. I could only imagine what would have happened had me bro gone all out.

And the cool deal would be doing it without the Cliffy stuff. Hit the J yard and a few calls hometown...done deal.

C-TOWN

David, I'm extremely fond of my Jeep.

lavronjeep.jpg

'91 and newer Jeeps are eaiser to get performance parts for, of course mine's a '90 :roll:

See Ya,
Mike

Yep,those 232/250cube AMC are GOOD LITTLE ENGINES. I have two,a 232ci in a 1970 Hornet 4 dood sedan,and a 1978 Concord DL 2 door coupe. Both cars were bought from the local schreder one month apart from each other. Both were Ex-1 owner cars with low miles and VERY little rust. These things are somthing else,in stock form,the 232 in the Hornet idels so quitely,you'd swear the car stalled. In fact,the starter makes more noise turning the engine over than the engine itself. The 258ci in my Concord has had a problem with the starter/flywheel(the starter,over time worked it's way loose,and the starter's engaugement gear would'nt disengauge and it tore up the flywheel.....it's since been fixed). These things are pretty touqrey too. It dosen't matter what surface you are parked on dry,wet :shock: put yer foot on the brake....and squeeze! Instant smokey. I also have another 258 engine that came out of a '74 Matador(remember those goofy things?) I'd like to build this engine up someday & put it in the '70 Hornet,not that the engine in that is bad or anything. I always these AMC sixes were over looked. Good luck with your little Jeep adventure! OO6.

my moms jeep has a 4.0L and the jeep my parents had before that was a 4.0L grnad cherokee. Its a great motor and honestly those things are great performers out of the showroom! (never seen an SUV handle 110mph as well as our old cherokee).

Back