Turbo for 200/250 ?

powerband

2K+
VIP
after considerable research , not clear on which turbo's , "brand" or "import type" suitable for 200/250 are available and advisable . Compressor maps are interesting but any turbo-six experience added to discussion would be appreciated and helpful to novice. Seems not many turbo (US) 200/250's projects to compare. T3 or T4 sizing and related header flange fabrication is my first consideration on current project.

have fun

I would be curious to know what your goals for this project are? Is this a street driven 6 or are you going racing? What kind of vehicle are you putting this in? Or is this a general discussion about which turbos are good for the small 6s. I don't have any hands on experience with the small block 6, all of mine is with the big block.

speedbug78":vm0l83nl said:
I would be curious to know what your goals for this project are? Is this a street driven 6 or are you going racing? What kind of vehicle are you putting this in? Or is this a general discussion about which turbos are good for the small 6s. I don't have any hands on experience with the small block 6, all of mine is with the big block.

well, I have a built '61 Comet which should be able to handle considerable power. Current drivetrain is tri-power 250 / T5 3.80 Posi - frame conn's, traction devices and track legal for pretty fast. I drive locally to shows and started trailering to 1/4 mile track @ 2hrs away for fun. I would like to build an alternative 200 or 250 with mostly track tuning and occasional good-weather local show-off.... . Turbo tuned 200/250 / IC / Blo-thru 2bbl mod w/fabbed pipes is intention.

thanks

My vote would be a T3, smaller ar. (.48?) for more on the street. Larger ar. (.60) Drag strip. Thinking an IHI Turbo, of an 87-88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe would work nice. On a street 200/250 inline six. Both of those have standard Flange mounting. Look @ older rear drive Turbo Volvos too.

I street drove a 200 with a .60/.63 SVO mustang turbo for a few months. spooled plenty quick on a bone stock 200. Blew through a 350cfm holley. Ditch the mech pump and go with an electric wit a boost referenced regulator.

IF I were building a US motor again I would prob go with my build as it were before I parted it out for the XFLOW250 build...

1. Similar header design but instead of square tube I would just build the whole thing from some flat sheet (14-12ga with a beefy flange) and have it waterjet/lazer/plasma'd out (I do own a plasma now) to give it some bigger runners and log and then just bend it up on a brake to angle it from the. one could lay this out pretty easy with some cardboard mockups. Put a wastegate flange on it for an external gate.

2. I would stay flanged for a T3 frame turbo. The turbine on these (with a stage III wheel/housing) can support 300-400 with ease and there are ALOT of turbos you can swap on easily.

3. air/water intercooler. Plenty of room under the hood on a manual steering manual brake car with no AC.

4. Megasquirt with a MAP sensor, coolant temp, air temp, and one of my TFI distributors (I did a write up about 6 years ago on this) and maybe a TPS sensor. This will let you dial in a start retard, run a high idle solenoid, boost retard,fan control, fuel pump control, rev limiter and be a stepping stone for a full EFI setup.

5. a NEW carb. same choke mods and all. maybe a fancy metering block and anular boosters.

6. Better BOV. not that I had issues but didn't trust a $40 ebay chinese one.

7. Custom ground cam for a turbo (I was building a motor to run a mild comp 252h? I think it was)

8. Decent bonnet. I had scored one for pretty cheap (was in school at the time)

now in an all out build I would get one of Mikes new heads and EFI that. Instead I just bought a couple Aussie XFLOW motors (back when the dollar was worth something)

on my XFLOW 250 I am starting out with a .50 trim TO4E wheel and a stage II turbine in a .63 housing I think it is. Will spool fast but will work for a starting point in dialing in the car and EFI before I step up and really blow on it.

forgot the crude pics (mind you this was a budget student build scrounging for parts bigtime)

like I said built on the quick and dirty during my final semester of school. Had issues that turned out to be a clogged fuel line that helped clear up some starvation issues and then swapped to the regulator and electric pump and had it driving pretty nice (also had swapped on some 1.6 roller rockers)

Not gonna knock the under hood of your Fairlane, nice build. Got any power numbers?, or times? (just curious) I like the way your doing it, using stock manifolds. Working on a 300 six Turbo build, coming at it the same way. But it will be more for Truck use. I do have a Garrett TO3E (.60 ar) off an 86 Turbo Coupe, for it. My plan is a 3500 RPM & under Truck Engine.

Back