The new OLD FTF gets a "Duesenberg DOHC 4-valve"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't run mine. I filled the corner fillets with weld so it matches up to the port. Mismatch is not a good thing. I doubt if a streeter would see a noticeable difference though.

You just filled the last half inch or so and then ground them to transition them into the head? You didn't/weren't able to fillet the entire things were you??

That's right. I like to weld the ends of runners on each side to minimize the chance of cracking.

Great work FTF love reading your posts.
Please keep the updates coming.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.
rikard aka Rick

Hi FTF, Looks good! Got any calveskin gloves to go with the goggles & the hat? Just out of curiosity, What kind of radiater are you going to run? Maybe slanted with an electric fan? What kind of front axle is that I'm guessin mid to late 50's Truck? What's the wheelbase? Just for fun maybe the next project could be a v-12 "Forderarri". You do brilliant work sir. I can't wait to see it boil water!

I built the grill shell to hold a '64 Mustagn radiator with an electric fan. I may use a mechanical fan if there is enough room - to make it look more period correct.

The axle is indeed a '53 Ford truck, narrowed 6 inches, smoothed and drilled full of lightening holes. While most cars of that era ran only rear brakes operated by a hand lever I am going to run front and rear brakes operable by either the outside hand brake lever or a foot pedal inside the car.

I hope to get an old pilots skull cap, goggles, an old polo stlye helmet and a pair of gauntlet gloves for photo ops.
(For hot laps its a fire suit and Simpson safety equipment tho.)

I forgot the wheelbase - around 111" I think.

After another winter hiatus I am back on the "speedracer" project. I am doing the steering drag link and associated stering nacelle to conceal the pitman arm:

I made these strips to hold on the body panels. Way back when the body panels were usually held in place with angle flanges riveted to the edges of the panels. Now it would be soooo much easier to attach them with quarter-turn Dzus buttons but to stay close to original I just embossed rivet heads on the flanges and will spot weld them on to the body.

I placed all the semi-finished panels on the chassis to mount the body to the frame using the flanges, like they used to.

FTF it time for some 15 inch dirt tires on the back and 10 inch on the front and a fairly stock motor because with all the torque a 300 makes it will still spin the tires off the corner

I agree. Aside from the side draft carbs and the exhaust system and a set of hypereutectic pistons and the crossflow head the engine will remain basically stock, including the stock camshaft for lots of tire wrenching torque and a tractible idle slow enough to be driven in parades and parade laps.

Even so, I expect it will put out more power than the typical Miller or Offy of that era.

I am looking at skinny Coker dirt tires and wire wheels. Some things I've heard about some Coker tires (mostly their whitewalls) are a bit unsettling, but other vintage tire makers like Diamondback do not offer dirt tires. Dayton wire wheels are too pricy for my budget - about 2 grand a wheel! - and Coker wires fit my drums.

Wow! congrats FTF, a magazine car! If anyone is interested FTF's Duesenberg has been published in the latest issue of Street Rodder magazine.

Thank you chessterd,

I knew it was coming but I'm travelling now - I'll check it out when I return home.

Its only a subject for Professor Hammer's column on shaping metal. Someday I'd love to see a feature done on it after I complete it. I'd better get humpin'.

I never posted on this thread.
I have been watching this for years though - so cool.
Would you be willing to share some pics of the 3 carb manifolds as you were doing them?

Greg D":30cloohw said:
I never posted on this thread.
I have been watching this for years though - so cool.
Would you be willing to share some pics of the 3 carb manifolds as you were doing them?
Thanks Greg D.
Did you mean the 2 x 1 intake on this build, the 3 x 1 build from three stock intakes, the EFI based 2 x 2 intake or one of my 3 x 2 race manifolds?

WOW those are some long drag links hanging out the side. also same, been watching this thread for as long as I can remember and that's really beautiful, FTF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back