a new "blow-through" build..

See viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70844

xctasy":18mj77f5 said:
All you need is some Area 51 Technology!. You have no choice but to use the stuff you have, your under carb adaptor you have, the carb you have, and take the carb to a machinist and have him shave off all of your existing carb's choke air horn and carb mounting flange so it ends up like the ones on the outer Chrysler 340 and 440 six pack Holley carb below.
510-0-4365-1.jpg

Then use an adjustable main jet to operate cold start enrichment.

There are two types, but I'd recomend the one the Mazda Rotory guys use, sourced from Tom McNeilly tomcn@earthlink.net for US $150 dollars excluding post and packaging.These are throttle leaning devices used for light aircraft

Tom McNeilly
14001 East Williams Field Rd.
Gilbert, AZ 85296
International phone number is +1-602-899-7613

He's in Arizona, USA. Almost nothing any good comes from anywhere else! Hear that Azcoupe?

Northwest Aero Products also has them available. They are at
13812 179th Avenue SE
Monroe, WA 98272
International phone number +1-360-805-8183
Call displayed telephone number to ask for respective email address of Northwest Aero Products.

These are throttle leaning devices used for light aircraft

Details
Here is some information about the Holley mixture control kit. It is best suited for a two barrel 350 or 500 CFM Holley carburetor. However, the unit has been successfully used on large four barrel carburetors. The mixture control WILL NOT fit other makes and models of carburetors! The unit replaces the fixed main jets with a rotating valve that is remotely operated by a push pull cable. The unit will go from total idle cut-off to overly rich by rotating the shaft, while the engine is running. Installation is very simple with step by step instructions provided.

Due to the outrageous cost of materials and the inflationary state of our economy,the price of the kit has recently been raised to $150.00.

The mixture control body is CNC machined from 6061-T6 aluminum which is alodine treated, the shaft is stainless steel and the screws are plated steel.

The first picture is what comes in the kit. The mixture control plate is in the background with the accelerator pump extension arm., power valve block off plug, and installation bolts in the foreground. I also include a set of three gaskets which are not shown.

The kit
TomMcNeillyIMGP4877.jpg

An example fitted to a 4-bbl carb with its choke air horn still attached
TomMcNeillyIMGP4878.jpg

The top up position gives a carb a 150% enrichment, about 9:1 air fuel ratio, while turning it back makes it a normal functioing carb at some point. So you can remove the choke, and use the first third of movement as cold sart enrichment, and a working portion as a closed loop stoich control, and then t rest an open loop performance mixture. Each portion can be cruise controlled within an EGT or single O2 sensor stricture. The maker used old Marvel Schelber tricks in his Ellisons injection, and the Holley 2300 series has the worst roosters tail around, and adding the Tom McNeilly kit kills two bad birds (turbo charge density air fuel control and bad mixture distirbution and too large atomisation fuel ball micron sizes over 70 microns) with one simple 150 US dollar stone.

Love what your doing.

xctasy":1lp1feyk said:
See viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70844

xctasy":1lp1feyk said:
All you need is some Area 51 Technology!. You have no choice but to use the stuff you have, your under carb adaptor you have, the carb you have, and take the carb to a machinist and have him shave off all of your existing carb's choke air horn and carb mounting flange so it ends up like the ones on the outer Chrysler 340 and 440 six pack Holley carb below.
510-0-4365-1.jpg

Then use an adjustable main jet to operate cold start enrichment.

There are two types, but I'd recomend the one the Mazda Rotory guys use, sourced from Tom McNeilly tomcn@earthlink.net for US $150 dollars excluding post and packaging.These are throttle leaning devices used for light aircraft

Tom McNeilly
14001 East Williams Field Rd.
Gilbert, AZ 85296
International phone number is +1-602-899-7613

He's in Arizona, USA. Almost nothing any good comes from anywhere else! Hear that Azcoupe?

Northwest Aero Products also has them available. They are at
13812 179th Avenue SE
Monroe, WA 98272
International phone number +1-360-805-8183
Call displayed telephone number to ask for respective email address of Northwest Aero Products.

These are throttle leaning devices used for light aircraft

Details
Here is some information about the Holley mixture control kit. It is best suited for a two barrel 350 or 500 CFM Holley carburetor. However, the unit has been successfully used on large four barrel carburetors. The mixture control WILL NOT fit other makes and models of carburetors! The unit replaces the fixed main jets with a rotating valve that is remotely operated by a push pull cable. The unit will go from total idle cut-off to overly rich by rotating the shaft, while the engine is running. Installation is very simple with step by step instructions provided.

Due to the outrageous cost of materials and the inflationary state of our economy,the price of the kit has recently been raised to $150.00.

The mixture control body is CNC machined from 6061-T6 aluminum which is alodine treated, the shaft is stainless steel and the screws are plated steel.

The first picture is what comes in the kit. The mixture control plate is in the background with the accelerator pump extension arm., power valve block off plug, and installation bolts in the foreground. I also include a set of three gaskets which are not shown.

The kit
TomMcNeillyIMGP4877.jpg

An example fitted to a 4-bbl carb with its choke air horn still attached
TomMcNeillyIMGP4878.jpg

The top up position gives a carb a 150% enrichment, about 9:1 air fuel ratio, while turning it back makes it a normal functioing carb at some point. So you can remove the choke, and use the first third of movement as cold sart enrichment, and a working portion as a closed loop stoich control, and then t rest an open loop performance mixture. Each portion can be cruise controlled within an EGT or single O2 sensor stricture. The maker used old Marvel Schelber tricks in his Ellisons injection, and the Holley 2300 series has the worst roosters tail around, and adding the Tom McNeilly kit kills two bad birds (turbo charge density air fuel control and bad mixture distirbution and too large atomisation fuel ball micron sizes over 70 microns) with one simple 150 US dollar stone.

Love what your doing.

Thank you for this..I actually have all of it...and glad you chimed in...I know you're the one who brought this post to this forum..I really need to know if this fellow will ship soon. I like the idea, just want to know how realistic his approach is, and if it is not I will look for a different approach...thank you for your post.

I'm not used to dealing with people who have not good phone numbers or contact info. Can he be contacted?...thanks again for your reply.

Yes he can, but he's a certified Aviation/Aeronautical supplier, and they require a special handshake to sort the wheat from the chaff. That's why he has no advertising to speak off, and what is supplied is via mail address to a company in the first instance, with his email under sufferance, and then a company phone number, assumably only under fear of death. When you deal with planes, you don't want a raft of civil aviation queries which aren't followed up by harmonizing paperwork.The best bet is via land mail, then email to cover it off, then phone to confirm. A three chorded string isn't easily broken. You'll have to be prepared to deal with others all the way through.

xctasy":2plpmhgk said:
Yes he can, but he's a certified Aviation/Aeronautical supplier, and they require a special handshake to sort the wheat from the chaff. That's why he has no advertising to speak off, and what is supplied is via mail address to a company in the first instance, with his email under sufferance, and then a company phone number, assumably only under fear of death. When you deal with planes, you don't want a raft of civil aviation queries which aren't followed up by harmonizing paperwork.The best bet is via land mail, then email to cover it off, then phone to confirm. A three chorded string isn't easily broken. You'll have to be prepared to deal with others all the way through.
ok. well. I'll sleep on that info, then begin with that in the am.....

thank you

johns3524":9buxw9ve said:
Is this engine for the Bronco? actually this is up for grabs at this point

But for now, pistons and cam choice. May I ask, is that an expensive "neighborhood" where those pistons you like are made
I put the order in for my pistons this past Monday and I'm waiting for their engineering department to finish so the can give me a price.
I will let you know as soon as I get that info.
Autotec called today and gave me the price for pistons and pins at $487.50

It would be great if you could put this engine in a vehicle behind an overdrive transmission (5 speed)

pmuller9":33pnj1ea said:
johns3524":33pnj1ea said:
Is this engine for the Bronco? actually this is up for grabs at this point

But for now, pistons and cam choice. May I ask, is that an expensive "neighborhood" where those pistons you like are made
I put the order in for my pistons this past Monday and I'm waiting for their engineering department to finish so the can give me a price.
I will let you know as soon as I get that info.
Autotec called today and gave me the price for pistons and pins at $487.50 That sounds about what I would expect for special pistons

It would be great if you could put this engine in a vehicle behind an overdrive transmission (5 speed)

About the vehicle, yes I have been thinking about that. Currently I drive two Broncos and both of them w/o overdrive by choice at this point. My signature one only has about maybe 1500 miles on it. I drove it about 70 miles yesterday. My other one is operating without a top (by design) and in the summertime can be used for that "fresh air fix" that a motorcycle gives along with serving as a PU truck when the top is peeled back. I can't imagine being without either one of these rigs but neither needs overdrive to serve their purpose, and neither one is really a cross-country rig, but I don't really need a x country rig much any more so..(.on and on.) I was even looking at something in the 60's that a 240/300 would fit into fairly easily..but...again..more thinking.

About the only thing that has really interests me is a either a 2WD version of an 80-86 Bronco slammed, or a Super-cab version of those years on a Bronco frame (I like the years, and the single gas tank config, and short turning radius) At this point, where I would use this engine project is unclear yet..can u tell? If money was no option..I wouldn't mind starting with a t-bucket frame etc..dream on... and just use a taaaaaalllll nine inch and c-6..never letting the foot off the throttle...

At this point, I can see this motor going into my 85 Bronco which already has a c-6, and use it for a tow vehicle if need be...A very carefully operated tow vehicle..

(I actually know where sits a very clean 86 Bronco, wth a 300, c-6 already..that I could buy...my reason for bolt-on choices for test-bed reasons)

I wanted to update this thread and thank those who contributed to my progress. I have had a few life direction changes that influence my car interests and have decided NOT to continue with a TURBO- blow thru motor build at this time. I WILL continue to pursue a few of the things learned while on the journey..namely the use of an adjustable timing feature (in-cab) and a vernier mixture control for a Holley 2300 if I can get the MGF'er to ship the kit....Anyway..best wishes to those of you who aspire to TURBO boost a motor..it's a worthy venture. My future interest will focus more on economy, reliability and ease of maintenance...all of which still keeps my head "under-the-hood"..

Happy wrenchin'..don't hurt yourselves..

Back