Adding 3/16 phenolic carb spacer OEM Air cleaner is to tall

mustang1967

Original all stock OEM 1967 Mustang 200 with the Autolite 1100 carb.

I bought the phelonic carb spacer from this site. Looks like a great product. Unfortunately, even though it is only 3/16 thick it looks like it will raise my stock ford air cleaner to much. The air cleaner already touches the hood and rubs the paint off cleaner / hood a little bit on one side. Looking for a low tech solution here. Really don't want to buy a remote air cleaner set up. I would buy one of the chrome air cleaners if someone has a source for a lower profile air cleaner. Also my oil breather cap is attached to the original air cleaner via a hose so would need to get an open oil breather cap?

Any advice, help is much appreciated. Thanks!

I have the tri-corner air-cleaner with a similar setup ('67 Mustang, Holley 1940 carb, vaccume adaptor plate). however, I had to trim about 3/8" or so of material off the mounting flange of the aircleaner in order to clear the hood. This also meant I had to purchase the adapter plate for the carb. My issue is that I have a straight Monte Carlo bar installed so I could not use the original filter.

327_small_zps568bc6cc.jpg

What about a 69 250 air cleaner? I can snap a pic for you for comparison. It's pretty low profile, recessed on the carb.

Would a 69 air cleaner fit my autolite 1100 carb? If so, that might be a great solution.

You are sure it is lower profile? Thanks!

Well I misspoke, mine is off a 1970 250 which has the RBS, that model could certainly be made to fit with some minor modification if need be, The hole is around 2 5/16, made for 2 1/4" carbs. It would just need an adapter ring I think, it clears everything when place on the 1100 on my 144 but the hole is a little to big and I don't have an adapter or the plastic ring for that carb. I'm not positive that it's lower than what you have, but it's recessed in there pretty darn far. From the bottom of the carb mount hole to the highest part of the air cleaner lid it's 1 3/8" max, including a low profile wing nut b/c the wing nut area is recessed. I'll take a pic for you for a visual comparison to what you have stock.

Not sure about the 69, but I've read the '69 250 came with an 1100 so that may be an even better fit or already have the adapter.

Low Tech.. I got you covered.
Remove your motor mounts and use a die grinder or rat tail file to slot the holes DOWN. Just be sure to leave some material at the bottom of the mount for the washer/bolt head to catch on.

You may also want to try loosening the brackets that bolt to the unibody, they may allow the engine to 'sag' a little bit into the engine bay also.

... not what you were expecting?

I wouldn't search for the 69 250 air cleaner, my guess is that it is the same old standard air cleaner used on all 200's with an Autolite 1100. In '69 frame and motor mounts were built differently to set the motor lower in the engine bay, I'm sure the motor mount combination accounted for the stock carb/air cleaner height.

Check out the oddities in this thread..
Low profile air cleaner on a 250

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the pictures a lot. Looking at them though it doesn't look like that one would be to much lower than mine? Might be the same?

The motor mount idea actually is a good one. I could jack up motor and remove one at a time and work on them? That is low tech and would be inexpensive as long as I can figure out how to grind them out enough. Will try and loosen the other area too. Hopefully it would settle. Will have a look.

I checked out the link to the random air cleaners. Not sure if any of those would work?

Still hoping someone can point me to a sure thing. A low profile air cleaner that fits the autolite 1100 in a 1967 Mustang.

I don't think you're going to find anything lower than that :rolflmao: , 1" higher than the top of carb.

Might have found a lower air cleaner.

Scott Drake makes a chrome air cleaner for the vintage mustangs with a 200 six (autolite 1100 carb) that is 2.5 inches tall. That is 1/2 less than the stock one but it does depend on how low it sits on the carb I guess. All of the Vintage Mustang parts dealers (NPD etc.) carry it. I did order one but have not received it yet.

Will report back when I get it and let you guys know if it is actually lower in case anyone else ends up looking for a lower air cleaner.

to get "the lowest air cleaner on top of a carb" U gotta get the lowest carb: Autolite 1100 or C artewr RBS. You may wish to find an even lower air cleaner element than the stock (in that housing), cut one down, etc.
A beautiful pic on the 'drop base ac housing' is shown but that still sits about 3 inches above the carb. I believe (which is on a 'high carb' it appears).

Back