new 3.3l performance build going for 200+ flywheel HP

autoX65

I got the 3.3l block back from the machine shop this last Wednesday and it looks solid. I painted it black and when I post the pics its one of the nicer ones and hopefully it will last me another 50 years.

The head is taking some time with my builder just because it sure is not cheap to build and he couldn't get any of the parts so I gave him the works for my 73 4.1L bronco head that's getting the brazed intake for 2v race holley, port divider, stainless valves, bronze guides , hardened seats, dual springs , viton seals, modified combustion chambers, milled head for increased compression ratio.

head studs. new camshaft will be ordered this week and hopefulley can pick up my head early next week to get my 65 mustang running again by this month.

I've driven this car only with the stock 200 set up so I can't wait to see the difference with the two barrel conversion, large log and finally ditching the stock camshaft :)

I took the engine apart last week from the running and driving car so I hope this goes smoothly and there will be some great pictures to come over this next week so stay tuned!

Easy.

Aussies have been doing it for years

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=51246&p=411812#p411812

viewtopic.php?t=5554

Little old GM L6's with just 179, 186 and 202 cubic inch engines with 9 port heads (ours are 12 port, really) have been into the 240 flywheel hp plus era before 1968, and stock streeters and rails with restricted modifications were into the 200 plus flywheel barrier with out tubing headers and just 2-bbl 4412 Holley 500cfm carbs. So copying 50 years of that kind of hp is easy to translate to our Ford Small Sixes. And there is the 250, a factory stroker engine which has so much latent potential, its insane.

You'll love the fact that Mike at CI has done all the development work for us, we just have to follow the Falcon Six performance book, and AzCoupes Classic Inlines website with its dyno runs and detail, and your into 235 rear wheel hp from a 200 with ease. Even with a log 170, you can get 280 hp.

its a great block to work with and always thought it was such a bullet proof design all inline. its a very nice quality cast and Will be the second time I have rebuilt this engine. I Have always drove the car with only all stock engine built to original specs with reground factory camshaft and kept it performance tuned. I really liked the usable rpm range of the engine and still was able to drive the engine as hard as I wanted and was great so I was still happy with the performance of the stock engine.

the engine is from my 65 mustang coupe with 8 inch rear limited slip 3.73 from 67 fastback so is an inch wider on both sides with explorer 8.8 inch disk brakes. granada front spindles with disk brakes, 1 inch adaptor spacers, total control products adjustable tie rods, pro motor sports engineering negative wedge camber kit with 2 inch shelby drop, 4.5 grab a track reverse eye leaf springs with 2 inch lowering blocks.

going in with the motor is a freshly rebuilt 1965 small bell c4 1800rpm stall converter, 1970 c4 v8 internal drums and clutch packs with 5 on 5 friction plates in Hi and Low/Reverse clutch, R servo, case oil and pump pressure modifications, wide kevelar rear band, wide asbestos intermediate band and custom machined valve body.

so the 1965 engine they say has 120hp 190lbs of torque so I think doubling the hp is very possible with a larger cylinder head heavily ported on the exhaust runners and bowls nice and blended on intake, large valves and something I haved not been able to find much info on is a holley 2305 progressive two barrel 500cfm with annular boosters primary venturing has 55 jet and mechanical secondary venturi has a 73 jet so I think naturally aspired with this set up it will have good fuel and air
being vaporized into the chambers so with headers and exhaust I think it will over double stock power ratings and be in the 250 hp and importantly what kind of torque could be had because I'm thinking it could be easily 300-350 lbs of torque naturally aspirated with a great low end on the single barrel until secondaries kick in I think it will be a light and fast car.

autoX65":2jr54rzj said:
...I haved not been able to find much info on is a holley 2305 progressive two barrel 500cfm with annular boosters primary venturing has 55 jet and mechanical secondary venturi has a 73 jet so I think naturally aspired with this set up it will have good fuel and air
being vaporized into the chambers...

I have. The 2305 is a mechanical secondary carb which has a pretty big flat spot in transition to secondary, but nothing that a little I6 can't handle. 4 cylinder Pinto owners have noticed that its noticeably worse than the Weber 32/36 and Holley~Weber 5200/5210/5220/6500/6510/6520 clan on primary to secondary operation. It doesn't stop the carb being one of the best for 79-81 carb 2.3 turbo replacements for those Fox turbos, with a few very good cars using it for auto X.

Enjoy the fun in having as far as the engine and everything except the head, a numbers match T code, well done!

yeah its all the right parts and have spent some good money on it all but of course head limitations, hopefully ill track down one of the bolt on Australian heads with the 2 barrel cast intake I just did not want to modify my block.

I did a real nice rebuild on the carburetor and everything is pretty adjustable on it so I hope it does not have to bad of a flat spot while the secondaries open but I really feel it will work great. any tuning tips on the 2305 for the ford six? I hope to get pictures up this coming week.

of course camshaft will be ordered this week and I'm debating wanting to try a reverse split pattern with more duration on the intake to help it with all those 90 degree turns in the log intake.

I hear good things about more duration on the exhaust with a split pattern having good results on the log head. maybe 268 intake 262 exhaust on a tight lobe center
most likely even less duration but I'm looking for around 1500-5500 rpm range so any input on the reverse split pattern cam in this engine since I know they are used in applications that have crippled intake systems and do help hp numbers as well as they are used in boosted applications to limit overlap that helps limit exhaust
reversion so you don't get exhaust fumes sneaking up into the intake during overlap periods but how about in naturally aspirated does anyone have test experience with it in this engine. I'm leaning around 264/264 108 lobe center or isky has a 262/262 110.

@autoX65,

I run a 108 C/L cam (the CI 274/274/108) in my 250. Even with a TCI advertised 2,500 stall speed converter (which stalls at a lower RPM with my six, as all converters do) on my C4, the 250 has a rough idle in gear. It never dies at idle - just idles low and rough - about 750 RPM with about 6" of vacuum. That effect would be more pronounced on your 200, so don't install a 108 C/L cam unless you're ok with the rough idle. In park, the 250 idles quite smoothly at about 1,100 RPM with 12" of vacuum.

Most of the time, I put a very small amount of pressure on the gas pedal at stop lights, to smooth out the idle a bit, raising it to maybe 900 RPM.

Thanks
Bob

autox, where did you get the holley 2305 you are going to use? that seems to be the carb i want for my fairmont, but in the 350cfm size.

I had been tracking down that carburetors for awhile and found it on craigslist in Ohio and had it shipped to California. the carburetors was good condition but does have some age but limited use and wear so after the rebuild and intense day tuning and adjusting secondary linkage, electric choke fast idle cam settings were hard as I had to modify the linkage to get it to my liking. so ik excited to use that carburetor and see how it runs but if anyone knows what years they are from I would like to know.

after the first stock rebuild with the 200 my idle was 850rpms and could never get it lower but I ran initial timing from 6-12 degrees usually and would be noticeable top end increase at 12 and I would run it at six before to keep the idle down a little and better low end economy but I could never seem to get it down as low as advertised 550-600 rpms with all stock parts even.

so I don't mind if I even run a 900 rpm idle to smooth it out and keep vaccum up at idle. I should be running 16-18 degrees initial on the rebuild and vaccum advance hooked up to manifold vaccum to keep the idle down or maybe even disconnect vaccum advance so I know it'll take some tuning before its all correct but I hope to get away with a 108 lobe with smaller durations like the 262/262 especially with a ported exhaust the flow numbers on classic inline would make it ideal to run a single patter then foe this set up.

carburetors is a 0-80095. im just having trouble uploading to photo bucket off my phone so if I can email them to someone and they would kindly put the images in this thread so eveyone can see the engine so far. bad timing but computer just crashed so stuck with the phone till this week.

noe kneed autoX65...the 2305 is a 2300 carb with a custom 32/36/Holley Weber 5200/5210/5220/6500/6520 style base still on the same 2300 series stud pattern.

Holley_2305v4.jpg

Holley23052bblversesHolley2300throttles.jpg

Holley_2305v2.jpg

Holley_2305v3.jpg

Holley_2305v1.jpg

http://www.xfalcon.com/forums/index.php ... holley-qs/

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63427&start=0

'68falconohio":x80rft5w said:
Holley also made a 2305 progressive two barrel you can check out. It came in 350 and 500cfm versions. Most parts interchange with the other 2300 family carbs so it's easier to work on(parts availability, it's a real Holley) than a 32/36 or a 5200. I've been looking for a 500cfm 2305 for my 200ci off and on for a while now with no luck though.

Holley 2305
Holley_2305.jpg

viewtopic.php?p=220465
xctasy":x80rft5w said:
For those of you casting the drag net, here are some 2305 series 350/500 Holley basics, and part numbers

The 2305 series 350 cfm has Part Number 80120, has standard primary jet 52, secondary 65, power valve is 8.5, and used to have a 37-749 renew kit.

The big bad 2305 series 500 above was part numbered 80095, has standard primary jet 55, secondary 73, power valve is 8.5, and used to have a 37-749 renew kit.

Don't get it mixed up with the older 2300 series as found in old AMC's, International Trucks or as a huge aftermarket replacement for any 2-bbl on a V8 or I6. They are different to the 2305.

just check out my photo bucket please people. mine is not missing parts like that one and wanted to show off my carburetor restoration skills. mines got the center hung float as well which looks much beefier. but check out my block the machine work was amazing and piston are dead on zero deck....its all looking very clean.

autoX65":3da1gurp said:
just check out my photo bucket please people. mine is not missing parts like that one and wanted to show off my carburetor restoration skills. mines got the center hung float as well which looks much beefier. but check out my block the machine work was amazing and piston are dead on zero deck....its all looking very clean.

All the info was there, just needed a little url work.

Not a lot of us do facebook, so for those that don't see autox65''s awesome clean up job.

Well done!

Back